London DVS Minimum Requirements

Can anybody confirm what are the minimum requirements for a one star DVS rating?

It needs nearside camera and audible left turn warning to be rated one star?

If a vehicle has no extra equipment, just factory fitted mirrors, it has a zero star rating?

content.tfl.gov.uk/hgv-safety-p … ondon2.pdf

idrive:
Can anybody confirm what are the minimum requirements for a one star DVS rating?

It needs nearside camera and audible left turn warning to be rated one star?

If a vehicle has no extra equipment, just factory fitted mirrors, it has a zero star rating?

And also has to be registered with TFL as well or company will still be fined :unamused:

The reason I ask is that a friend told me he had an account manager at one of the biggest vehicle rental firms in the world try and palm him off with a vehicle that is clearly zero rated, whilst telling him that it is 100% legal for DVS because “it has seating and mirrors fitted at the factory”
He apparently backed this up with an email chain from various internal departments all agreeing that it’s perfectly fine as it has mirrors.

The thing is though, this particular vehicle shows on the website as being one star rated and has a permit.

So either…

A) a vehicle with no equipment fitted other than standard class V and Vl mirrors is one star rated and therefore legal, or

B) they have fraudulently obtained a permit by claiming to have fitted the necessary equipment and are then attempting to deliberately dupe customers into running illegally.

Everything I can find says that A is incorrect.
Cowboys PLC?

We have a few Daf 18 ton units in our yard, the day cab ones have no extras and show on website as 1 star, a couple with sleeper cabs have the extra trimmings fitted.

I am jumping to the conclusion that there is some target to meet regarding what you can see from the unit as standard which dictates if the extra kit is needed.

I dare say the trucks with the extra vision panel in the n/s door may not need cameras/ sensors?

I don’t think it’s as simple as needing a camera tbh. The vehicle I drive has no extra equipment fitted and is rated as 2 star on the tfl website. It’s a Scania P420 car transporter so I can only assume it’s compliant because the side windows are lower than on a big cab. No idea how they decide what’s acceptable or not but if it’s got a rating and a permit I’d say he should be alright.

Edit to add: I go in regularly and no fines that I’m aware of!

Interesting thanks. The vehicle in question is a standard actros rigid sleeper with no extra windows or visibility…

I just checked the reg for one of our daf sleepers, it shows as zero stars, though has been retro fitted out with the extras, so I would say the checker rating is the standard wagon as built, not adjusted for mods made to comply.

All I know for sure is how our place works. Only vehicle fitted with the DVS system can go on those jobs. No cameras no go simple as that.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

We have a couple of 15 plate Axor sheds that Dawsons have loaned us. Obviously they have no cameras, sensors or other gubbins but are compliant whereas my 18 plate MAN isnt. I queried this and was told that it’s because the Axor isnt a full width cab it is deemed to have better vision.

the maoster:
We have a couple of 15 plate Axor sheds that Dawsons have loaned us. Obviously they have no cameras, sensors or other gubbins but are compliant whereas my 18 plate MAN isnt. I queried this and was told that it’s because the Axor isnt a full width cab it is deemed to have better vision.

That’s correct we’ve got some narrow cab actros rigids that are compliant with no extra modifications but the daf cf low cab we’ve got on hire aren’t :confused: