Logger wagons

Might sound daft but how do you lads keep the mud out of your truck?

Just curious thanks

Same as every other truck , you clean it :smiley: .

But just a bit more often lol.

Nah I meant when your in forest + the wet weather were having making sludge etc your walking it back into the cab/ footwell which then dries and makes dust when disturbed. It’s all well and good attacking the dash armed with a paint brush but I was after tips on keeping the muck out of the cab to start with

When you get a situation like this :exclamation:

You just don’t get out the cab.

I had jumped across from the cab to a pile of logs to get this picture.

You set your wooden crossers out before you go in to load.

Get your paperwork off the loader driver and once you are loaded you pull well out the way and strap the load down.

Takes a lot of cleaning to keep on top of the job.

Pulling the foot mat out and giving it a shake to get the mud off it every time you load helps a lot.

Allowing the mud to dry in the footwell is bad as it turns to dust and gets everywhere.

Some times you need wellies instead of boots :smiley:

You will find you manage to hop between the tracks the truck makes and you don’t get your feet too mucky.

No easy way to do it !

Sound advice thank you guys :slight_smile:

Is there any money in the job, they seem to be racing around like lunatics, is that down to bad rates or just trying to make more.

No different to driving a tipper , good " dirty" mat in the foot well cut to fit all around ,scrape boots on bottom step every time you enter then power/ steam mat at end of day or leave boots untied and kick em off when you get in but I find that a ball ache!

used to do the untied boots thing…until i stood on a lace and did a flyer out o the cab and landed flat on my back …thank f i was wearing a safety helmet wi the ear protectors on.
now i have a boot cleaner on my step…well worth the money.

Boot cleaner? What’s one of them pal?

Is it one of those bristle mat things?

Thought it might have been an impoverished lad you keep on the top step hahaha

its a brush about a ft long thats bolted bristles facing up on to a step.
jimmy

Young_AL:
Thought it might have been an impoverished lad you keep on the top step hahaha

Visions… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JIMBO47:
its a brush about a ft long thats bolted bristles facing up on to a step.
jimmy

Have seen us using bits of mudflap ( the bristly type) bolted to the step tread as well.

Does the same job :smiley: .

I always take my boots off before getting in they stay on the top step(I don’t wear my boots in the house when I am home at the weekend so why should I when I am in my home for the week), helps but the dust is the worst thing just got to try and keep on top of it

Boots on the top step and wellies on the passenger side top step when I was in tippers

This fridge lark is the way on. Same jeans all week lol

altitude:
Is there any money in the job, they seem to be racing around like lunatics, is that down to bad rates or just trying to make more.

The money’s probably better than most (for operators and drivers) because the work is not easy, drivers have to have additional qualifications if they are going to go into forests and self-load, and the equipment is expensive.

The reason for hurrying is because sawmills are expensive plant to have standing still, and also the timber can only be extracted when conditions in the forest are good. So it’s a case of get in and out when you can, because if it rains overnight you might not be able to tomorrow.

Compared to, say RDCs, the people at each end of the journey are keen to turn the vehicles around without messing about.

It’s no job for the lazy, or for the stupid, that’s for sure. But if you like the outdoors (all weathers) and rural roads and have a spirit of adventure (no sat nav in the forest, and vehicle trackers don’t work very well either) then it’s probably one of the best truck driving jobs going.

I love the sound of that GasGas :wink:

Gas Gas how much more an hour or day is it than your average wage then ?