Log sheets on European work

I was asked a question this week about using log sheets on European work in the 60s before the log book was introduced as then we had to use the log book with the little squares when on european work and for the next 7 days when you were back in the U K and then you reverted to the U K style ones where you entered starting place and each destination throughout the day and load details. I am sure that I only used the U K style log sheet at that time ( late 60s ) but then we were only over there for short runs at most a days run from the point of entry over there and working for “Pickfords” which was still under the BRS then everything had to be legal. :unamused: I know we have quite a few members who were running over in the 60s and I was hoping their memory is not as shot as mine and one more thing was this around the same time as the 10 year passport was introduced as I know my first one was only a 5 year one.
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
I was asked a question this week about using log sheets on European work in the 60s before the log book was introduced as then we had to use the log book with the little squares when on european work and for the next 7 days when you were back in the U K and then you reverted to the U K style ones where you entered starting place and each destination throughout the day and load details. I am sure that I only used the U K style log sheet at that time ( late 60s ) but then we were only over there for short runs at most a days run from the point of entry over there and working for “Pickfords” which was still under the BRS then everything had to be legal. :unamused: I know we have quite a few members who were running over in the 60s and I was hoping their memory is not as shot as mine and one more thing was this around the same time as the 10 year passport was introduced as I know my first one was only a 5 year one.
cheers Johnnie

Who did you buy your passport off then Johnnie? Or did you win it in the same raffle as your Class1?

Bewick:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

Who did you buy your passport off then Johnnie? Or did you win it in the same raffle as your Class1?

Dennis I printed my passport a few years before the HGV license was introduced so it was good practice :unamused: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

Bewick:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

Dennis I printed my passport a few years before the HGV license was introduced so it was good practice :unamused: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie

Well who’s “mug shot” did you use then? Don’t tell me-------- Desperate Dans!!! Cheers Dennis.

Do you mean one of these?

We used them on UK work from the early 70’s up until Christmas of 1978, after which we went onto Tachos. I never quite got around to handing my last book in as it still has some blank pages.

zzarbean:

We used them on UK work from the early 70’s up until Christmas of 1978, after which we went onto Tachos. I never quite got around to handing my last book in as it still has some blank pages.

Hi Ted no those were the ones we used on european work when log books were introduced and they were small about the size you have posted about 6" square IIRC they were to come into line with the rest of the common market when we joined I was on about when we used the loose log sheets ( when you needed about 21 for the week 7 days working then :laughing: ) as I am sure we just used the same loose log sheet all of the time they were phased out when they brought the HGV license in and 6 day working and 60 hours driving “boo” :cry: but it did save a lot of writing especially at the end of the week when you had to make sure that everything was correct and you did not incriminate yourself when they were handed in.

zzarbean:

Ted, Have you got the back page? “Weekly Report” please.

I got done for failing to complete it and somebody else said they didn’t remember them.

Was it the early 50’s when you had to have a tachograph in Germany. I remember the new Volvo F86 and 88 having the split cards in them although no-one used them

Sammy. being just a slip of a lad the 60’s were way before my time :unamused: I do just about remember to old style logbooks, very handy if you got caught short if I recall :wink:

Wheelnut, here you are. The actual book measure 10 x 8 inches and any foreshortening is down to my scanner

The first tachograph we had was in the Seddon in the Vijore middleast pictures GDF???L that was a 7 day tacho and only the boss man had the key. It had seven cards in a bundle and after rotating for 24 hours a pin would push one card out of the way so the next would come into use. Before that we had Service recorders fitted on all trucks (round Gunmetal efforts with a small clock face) Which I used to bang every time I woke up in the middle of the night and wish Mr V ‘good morning’ :laughing:

Just for a little bit of added authenticity (Just in case that Road Manager is still in Meer :wink: ) here’s the truck the logbook refers to.