Locking the Cab whilst unloading?

What happened here then ? and why would you not lock the doors, or has something else happened.

Hope the driver was not in the back youtu.be/Itg-WrDOQeU

Given that in other pictures on this the back doors were open we can rule out he forgot to apply the handbrake,the police were looking for 3 youths seen around the truck at the time so I assume they suspect they let the handbrake off,failing that it would be down to a serious mechanical failure.

If I’m tipping on any sort of hill I always apply the trailer brake too,may be a odd habit of mine but it doesn’t bear thinking about how many people could of been killed or seriously injured if in the clip it was on a busy Saturday afternoon and not as it was an early morning with no pedestrians about.

Do keep up at the back,it was posted last week end

Another reason to have manual gearboxes…never let an opportunity to knock Arsetronic pass by :wink: …■■■■ sight easier to leave in gear unattended as back up, it won’t stop the thing moving on a really steep hill but slowly enough for an alert driver to catch it and hit the parking brake should the unthinkable happen.

Some makes, Scania for sure, don’t apply the trailer brakes when the parking brake is applied, so depending on your load it sometimes pays top apply the trailer brake whenever you tip, this applies where i work with tipping tanks which can move quite a lot on the rear stalilising legs as the load shifts, applying the parking brake secures it.
Not always possible to lock the door when tipping if you are running on PTO equipment, so remembering to take the spare keys to lock the cab is the order of the day.
When i had me transporter i always got a spare key cut (el cheapo unprogrammed won’t start engine) just to lock the cab whilst unloading on fast idle, you never know who’s about.

Juddian…

I agree Arsetronic is a bag of badly meshing cogs and Iveco’s attempt at a gearbox is even worse.

I know you miss manual boxes and the freedom we all had with them but, ask Switchlogic if you can have a go in his Volvo. If you haven’t tried the Volvo box, you’ll be surprised just how good it is.

change is a good thing… (see what I did there)

Yes, I often punctuate my rants about Arsetronic not forgetting Mercs similar cack, with ‘‘Volvo excepted’’, all respect to the Swede mob, they got it right.

First drove a geartronic FL10 around 92 or so, and it was good then, have no complaints about that box and would prefer a i-shift to a manual Swedish box, which have never been much to write home about, always preferred constant mesh manuals whatever the layout.
Had a FM12 auto car carrier in 2005, good box too.

Not sure i could cope with 750 hp mind… :smiling_imp:

a mixer driver I know was unloading at the back of the truck, tipping into a 360 bucket… when the truck was driven away and never seen again… prob in eastern europe or similar now…

Juddian:
Not always possible to lock the door when tipping if you are running on PTO equipment, so remembering to take the spare keys to lock the cab is the order of the day.
When i had me transporter i always got a spare key cut (el cheapo unprogrammed won’t start engine) just to lock the cab whilst unloading on fast idle, you never know who’s about.

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Mainly so I can keep my satnav and tablet etc when the PTO’s in. Or more importantly,the enormous packup Mrs Clarke does me. Plus I think I’ve seen a discussion on here about doors locking themselves

Juddian:
Not sure i could cope with 750 hp mind… :smiling_imp:

Oh I dunno, you strike me as the perfect sort of driver for a 750, steady and sensible.

See, I do compliments too :wink:

NURSE NURSE medication quick :laughing:

All ours have Brake Interlocks fitted (3 instances when it locks up) as we’re always out of the cab with the engine running while unloading, sometimes up to 100ft away.
Even on the slightest of gradients, wheel chocks are out. A couple of years ago, someone down south had a “fail-safe” failure. :open_mouth:
I’ll bear in mind the tip about using a spare key to lock the doors though, in case my butties go walkies.