Local or National Trainer?

Hello all.

I am just about to start my LGV training and I am about to select a training centre - so I am about as new as it gets on here!!!

I have narrowed it down to a local centre to me (Bridgend Wales) with a good name locally. I have met with them, seen the trucks and standards and it seems good to me. Another few local places I ruled out for one reason or another and I have been reading advice on here about internet ‘brokers’ of such training - I like to think I am being careful and wise!!

I have also been looking at a manufacturers training programme which is based in England about an hour or so away from me, who offer a weeks intensive training to cat C. I have also met with them and again it all seems good and maybe a bit more ‘corporate’ than the local guys.

Times is hard and I am a bit strapped for cash and I am minded to go with the local guys because it is cheaper but its also closer to home and I wont have the pressure of an intensive course to sort in a week!

I like the manufacturers course with all its polish and prestige but do I really need it to get a job??

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences they can share with me? Out of the two where would you spend your hard earned? I don’t have any employer to back me so I am doing this on my own because I want to be a driver.

Thanks. Pete

If your local trainer has a good reputation and you’re happy to train with them go for it, when you apply for jobs your choice of trainer isn’t likely to be much of a deciding fact for a prospective employer.

If you want to name the training company you’re considering there may be people here who have experience of them.

+1

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Broker :laughing:

I Got two tests 24 hours cpc I’m in 3k debt with it now

Go local

If all seems well, go with the local company if they offer everything you feel you need. I think the only truck manufacturer that provides training in a fashion is Scania, as selling trucks is their main business I doubt they will be as good as a well focused training company.

you hit the nail on the head with the manufacturer! :wink: although they wont have much luck trying to sell me 120k worth if truck because I am having to turn over a few sofas to find the cash to do my training anyway! :laughing:

Thanks for the advice!

anyone else got any views or experiences of training in south wales?

Go local if they have a good rep no reason why not to

Most of us have paid for it ourselves btw so no big deal there even if you work for a company a lot still have to pay for it themselves