Local knowledge Shepton Mallet area

Right then… coming down the A359 from the A361 Shepton Mallet/Frome road, we have a delivery point at Wanstrow. It is an agricultural outlet just about 100 yards under a 14’ 3’’ bridge…(can not recall if it is arched, or line horizontal)

As stupid as it may sound (but I have known it before often) do any local drivers know if you can fit a 14’ 6’’ taut under it, Irealise there are set + tolerances on all bridges, but if it has been recently tarmacd they are not usually reliable.

Another question is …The way around it (which is a bit of a slog) is the B3081 just before Evercreech off the A371, which is a 7 and half tonne wt limit, not only that but the left turn at Bruton to get back north on A359 is impossible with an artic and means going around the narrow one way system.

There is an unclassified road running paralell through Wyke Champflower…is this artic suitable at all?.. (not bothered how tight or narrow it is as long as it is passable)

Or …is there a better way that I do not know of??
Thanks in anticipation chaps. :wink:

What about instead of taking the b3081 you keep going south on the A371 through ansford, then at the stagered crossroads turn left onto A359, then continue on A359 through Bruton and up to wanstrow that way?

It means going out of your way a bit I know but I can’t see an alternative, I wouldn’t chance going under the low bridge in wanstrow with anything higher than a fridge, it’s 13’9 according to google maps

jay0:
What about instead of taking the b3081 you keep going south on the A371 through ansford, then at the stagered crossroads turn left onto A359, then continue on A359 through Bruton and up to wanstrow that way?

It means going out of your way a bit I know but I can’t see an alternative, I wouldn’t chance going under the low bridge in wanstrow with anything higher than a fridge, it’s 13’9 according to google maps

Is it?.. Must update my bridge height map from the 1996 edition :blush: :smiley:
The reason I asked was I was talking to a random driver nearby and he reckoned my trailer would go, but you know what drivercrap is like, so I thought I would ask all you respected drivers on here. :smiley:
Would not chance it unless somebody actually knew.

The route you mention is a bit of a ball ache of a detour, but do you know anything about that Wyke Champflower village road I’m on about?
It’s just a bit frustrating with the drop being just under the bridge, if it was a parcel or something I would carry the ■■■■ thing.

robroy:
that Wyke Champflower village road I’m on about?

Been to the cheese place at Wyke Champflower many a time and that’s ok and Bruton is doable in an artic as long as the locals park sensibly and there is a one way system in place, good luck.

Oh the bridge is 13’ 9" and it’s arched.

bald bloke:

robroy:
that Wyke Champflower village road I’m on about?

Been to the cheese place at Wyke Champflower many a time and that’s ok and Bruton is doable in an artic as long as the locals park sensibly and there is a one way system in place, good luck.

Oh the bridge is 13’ 9" and it’s arched.

Yeh I have been through Bruton when I could not turn left off the B road, it was the W.Champ road I was unsure about.
Is it ok after your Cheese factory to Bruton, thanks for your info anyway.

Don’t reckon that arch will allow a 9’’ clearance tbh.

Well I for one will be scanning the local rags! :grimacing:

Good luck! :laughing:

Bruton is a 7.5 ton limit. Locals are very vigilant, as it is a short route between Frome and Wincanton/A303. Road from Cheese factory is weight limited to Bruton. Just checking if Bruton is access exempt.

As for taking a 14’6" artic off-piste, I used to drive artic tankers, with steering axles, in that area, which was hairy enough.

Call the client. Where are you coming from before you hit Frome?

Either Shepton, down A37 - A371 - past Castle Cary -left back up A359, through Bruton ( as only reasonable approach).

Or Down A350 - A303 to Wincanton - A371 towards Castle Cary -right onto A359 through Bruton.

Don’t try a shortcut though the lanes. It’s not worth it.

Evil8Beezle:

IF I could get through bridge it would save about 1 and a half hours which is a bonus when you have about 10 more drops on as far as Penzance on a Thurs/Fri. however de.tour not end of world.
I would not give it a go unless I was fairly sure, I aint that stupid :wink: , or at least somewhere close to reverse and turn around if it was a no goer.
So cancel the papers mate.! :smiley:

As for Mr Donkey, I never use lanes unless I have some kind of clearance by phone etc, although I do end up using that type of road every week…nature of the job I do, remote farms etc.

As for Bruton villagers, wtf are you supposed to do if you HAVE to go through it to make a farm delivery nearby, I had to go through it only last week to reach a delivery point.

Thanks for the input guys anyway…(except for Evil8 that is :smiling_imp: )
:smiley:

You should be OK for Bruton via Wyke. You do have a reason for going through Bruton (access only for over 7.5t unless you have an exemption) though roads are not great round there. Bit of a pain it won’t fit under the bridge, assuming it’s the country store South of the bridge in Wanstrow; I reckon it’s the only way really. The embarrassment of wheeling it through from the other side of the bridge up hill is a bit of a no-no.

Snudger:
You should be OK for Bruton via Wyke. You do have a reason for going through Bruton (access only for over 7.5t unless you have an exemption) though roads are not great round there. Bit of a pain it won’t fit under the bridge, assuming it’s the country store South of the bridge in Wanstrow; I reckon it’s the only way really. The embarrassment of wheeling it through from the other side of the bridge up hill is a bit of a no-no.

Especially when it’s 2 ton of galv steel sections. :smiley:
So are you saying you are open to getting nicked without this exemption even if you HAVE to go through it to deliver?
If so I need to get sorted for next time.

Ah.

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

IF I could get through bridge it would save about 1 and a half hours which is a bonus when you have about 10 more drops on as far as Penzance on a Thurs/Fri. however de.tour not end of world.
I would not give it a go unless I was fairly sure, I aint that stupid :wink: , or at least somewhere close to reverse and turn around if it was a no goer.

As for Mr Donkey, I never use lanes unless I have some kind of clearance by phone etc, although I do end up using that type of road every week…nature of the job I do, remote farms etc.

As for Bruton villagers, wtf are you supposed to do if you HAVE to go through it to make a farm delivery nearby, I had to go through it only last week to reach a delivery point.

As far as I remember, you can get through Bruton, just, but it gets narrow, and the villagers can park awkwardly, on purpose. But if you have to, because you don’t fit under the bridge, they can’t stop you. I suppose every driver coming through there tells them that he can’t go another way :grimacing: .

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

As far as I remember, you can get through Bruton, just, but it gets narrow, and the villagers can park awkwardly, on purpose. But if you have to, because you don’t fit under the bridge, they can’t stop you. I suppose every driver coming through there tells them that he can’t go another way :grimacing: .

Typical pig ■■■■ thick nimbys…risk getting their cars scraped to ■■■■ just to make a point. :unamused:

robroy:

Snudger:

So are you saying you are open to getting nicked without this exemption even if you HAVE to go through it to deliver?

We go there every week with a 16 tonner with no issues whatsoever, with no current valid exemption AFAIK, though apparently we did specify a vehicle once upon a time. There are always large lorries (plus tractors of course) going through when I’m there trying to do a delivery it seems. I just go round the block if necessary. You’ll be OK as it really is the only sensible access to your drop and people will have to move their cars if necessary which I trust it won’t be. Should be better going back apart from perhaps the bit over the Brue (cars might be sticking out by the Londis store).

Snudger:

robroy:

Snudger:

We go there every week with a 16 tonner with no issues whatsoever, with no current valid exemption AFAIK, though apparently we did specify a vehicle once upon a time. There are always large lorries (plus tractors of course) going through when I’m there trying to do a delivery it seems. I just go round the block if necessary. You’ll be OK as it really is the only sensible access to your drop and people will have to move their cars if necessary which I trust it won’t be. Should be better going back apart from perhaps the bit over the Brue (cars might be sticking out by the Londis store).

Ok mate, Thanks very much. :wink: