Local knowledge Bath area

Got a drop Friday at Wellow near Bath at Norton lane…
I’ll be coming in from Trowbridge.
What is best way to get around all the ■■■■ wt limits.
I have it marked down on my map there is a wt limit on the A366 Norton Philip to Radstock, so anybody got any suggestions for best route in?
I think there is a limit on A36 from Bath, not sure about A367.
I also see there is a 12’ bridge on the B3110. :unamused:
Thanks.

I’ll be interested to see what’s wrong with this?

Years ago…

You’d have stopped at the local Amoco garage and asked. You’d have been straight there even if it involved cutting across some farmers field.
From my memories of Bath and it’s surrounding area every single turning had some sort of restriction.

Personally, I’d just phone them up now.

pick up A36 from Trowbridge area then A367 at the arch bridges at Bath. No limits of any kind except speed.

Looks like a nightmare, all roads seem to be weight limits & part of lorry watch scheme.
Best advice is take a days holiday :laughing:

Good luck

Hello Rob, is it at the fencing place between Wellow and Norton St Philip?

Wellow sits in a 7.5t weight limit. I’d take the a361 to the 36 at Beckington. Head towards Bath, until Woolverton. Then take the left fork through Norton St Philip, to Hinton Charterhouse.

At a crossroads by the Stag Inn pub turn left towards Wellow. All of this is very narrow and there is a steep hill down to Wellow.

When in Wellow, there is another steep hill up. After the school on your left, there is a narrow side road. Descend another steep hill and cross a ford. Then keep baring left to stay on Norton lane.

In a rigid you will be fine this way. In an artic, I would advise ringing to see if they can meet you? I would strongly advise not attempting it from Norton St Philip because the road is narrow between buildings and high verges.

If I am not working, I can lead you in on my… pushbike! All the best

AgentSime:
0Hello Rob, is it at the fencing place between Wellow and Norton St Philip?

Wellow sits in a 7.5t weight limit. I’d take the a361 …,

Fair play, I hope that is the eyes on the ground info you need!

Any single track road where grass is starting to grow up in the middle of the tarmac I find best avoided in anything bigger than a van!

I used to work that area way back in the 80s - In younger days I might have said good luck go for it especially if you had a B series ERF.
Not sure I would want to do it now with a current motor.

Good Luck !!

Can you post webcam footage for us so we can see how you get on, if the Local Nimbys don’t report it first

robroy:
Got a drop Friday at Wellow near Bath at Norton lane…
I’ll be coming in from Trowbridge.
What is best way to get around all the [zb] wt limits.
I have it marked down on my map there is a wt limit on the A366 Norton Philip to Radstock, so anybody got any suggestions for best route in?
I think there is a limit on A36 from Bath, not sure about A367.
I also see there is a 12’ bridge on the B3110. :unamused:
Thanks.

I went to a farm by Claverton ,I went via Trowbridge then the 361 and back up the 36 I reckon there was some 4 wheelers coming out the road you want off the 36 although may of been weight limit sign but could be the way .

AgentSime:

Wellow sits in a 7.5t weight limit. I’d take the a361 to the 36 at Beckington. Head towards Bath, until Woolverton. Then take the left fork through Norton St Philip, to Hinton Charterhouse.

At a crossroads by the Stag Inn pub turn left towards Wellow. All of this is very narrow and there is a steep hill down to Wellow.

When in Wellow, there is another steep hill up. After the school on your left, there is a narrow side road. Descend another steep hill and cross a ford. Then keep baring left to stay on Norton lane.

In a rigid you will be fine this way. In an artic, I would advise ringing to see if they can meet you? I would strongly advise not attempting it from Norton St Philip because the road is narrow between buildings and high verges.

I think you’ll struggle with an artic from Wellow, theres some overhanging trees that may get in your way. Also, the ford looks a bit dodgy for an artic. Likewise, as Agentsime says, coming through Norton St Philip is not a good idea, and coming from the Tucker’s Grave end is not going to work, as you’ll not make the turn into Norto lane.

Best advice, get them called, and let the office decide, and carry the can if you get stuck. I have driven milk tankers down there for the best part of ten years, and would not go down a lane, unless I’m sure I could get through.

AgentSime:

Thanks for that mate.
Took the 36, but went a bit further up to Branch road, and straight over at the Stag you mentioned,…and he said he’d meet me at the Fox and Badger.

I thought .‘Must be plenty of room’…but right in middle of the narrow ■■■■ village, :unamused: plus I met a car half early up that narrow hill in the village.

I said to him 'So where do I turn.'being a bit ■■■■■■ off with him, but was told to carry on in same direction to the A road at…Radstock.

So thanks anyway mate, no need for an ■■■■■■ on your bike, but you’d be a brave man running in front of me on a bike on that ■■■■ hill. :laughing:

whisperingsmith:
I used to work that area way back in the 80s - In younger days I might have said good luck go for it especially if you had a B series ERF.
Not sure I would want to do it now with a current motor.

Good Luck !!

Can you post webcam footage for us so we can see how you get on, if the Local Nimbys don’t report it first

Sorry mate, no webcam footage, no you tube shots of getting craned out, no dramas. :sunglasses: :smiley:

> robroy:
> Sorry mate, no webcam footage, no you tube shots of getting craned out, no dramas. :sunglasses: :smiley:

Good job - Old school driver - Congrats

the nodding donkey:

AgentSime:

I think you’ll struggle with an artic from Wellow, theres some overhanging trees that may get in your way. Also, the ford looks a bit dodgy for an artic. Likewise, as Agentsime says, coming through Norton St Philip is not a good idea, and coming from the Tucker’s Grave end is not going to work, as you’ll not make the turn into Norto lane.

Best advice, get them called, and let the office decide, and carry the can if you get stuck. I have driven milk tankers down there for the best part of ten years, and would not go down a lane, unless I’m sure I could get through.

Yep,.I did as I always do mate ring ahead first…(yeh I know you can not always believe them.)
After me threatening to call off the delivery, the guy absolutely assured me it was doable, and I made it crystal without the shadow of a doubt that if he was bulls hitting me I would not be very friendly when we met…it obviously worked. :smiley:

Double post. :unamused: