Loads you just hate

For me it has to be Septic tanks. They are alright if standing up, but up in this part of the country (Argyll) we have quite a few low bridges, so we have them lying on their sides :open_mouth: . Scares the living daylights out of me when you see it move slightly. Dont starp it hard enough they move, strap them too tightly the break. Hate them!!!

The load I hate the most is people (passengers) :laughing: :cry:

6 years on buses and coaches was enough to persuade me to get my LGV licences

Semtex, Livehaul, donā€™t you just hate it.
Ducklings are bad enough, but at least they only poop on you, humans, YEACH

These days any load which cannot be mechanically lifted off the truck would have me writing out my resignation.

For eight years I drove the ultimate unloading nightmare. Roll cages which had to be manhandled into small shops and the contents not only unloaded by hand, but also counted ! Often there could be in excess of a hundred items in each cage. Many of them quite heavy. Twenty five cages for an average eight drop load. This often entailed a four to five hundred mile round trip. Often weā€™d drag a trailer behind us so with the demountable system they could get two loads down to the south coast for the price of one (Manchester) all made good sense for the gaffers we got no extra money save for a pittance of overnight subsistence - about sixteen quid then - mid nineties. A younger mans game, I got out of that particular firm when I was 45.

Handball is off the agenda for me and to be honest any more than one drop would test my resolve. The truck I had back then was a lovely motor, a brand new Volvo F10 Eurotrotter. Today I drive an unremarkable & anonymous old nail - FL10. Thereā€™s no way Iā€™d turn back the clock.

fox

Worst I have had it mixed frozen & ambient for Farm Foods - since you have to drag half the ambient off to get into the freezer (not too hard) and then try and get it back on again once you have done the drop. Ok when you have lots of light pallets, but a real struggle if it is all pop / cansā€¦

G

well for me it was steel cable drum,s about about 8ft high weighing around ten ton on two baton,s of wood scare the crap out of u when some twit brake,s hard in front of you and you see it rock it aint nice remind,s of when i was in manchester when some twit decides to let some twit out of a side road and i had to brake hard and i was carry 20 small drum,s and one of the drum,s hit the back board and bent it of course i went mad of the driver of the micra (never forget it ) knocked on his window and went mad ranting as you do but all he said was what did i do wrong and no i was not to close that day i give the job second thoughts and said by by anixter (just wish some driver would relise what some drivers are carrying)

steel mesh reinforcement, not too bad if old and rusty but bloody awful when new and oily :frowning:

bog rollsā€¦

cos it meant i had loaded them from A. P. U. K and all thier deliverys were crapā€¦ sorry no pun intended.

i was offered jobat anixter didnt go for it in end my mate clive parker use to work there ā€¦when i left coop dairy at vauxhall rd

jj72:
steel mesh reinforcement, not too bad if old and rusty but bloody awful when new and oily :frowning:

Ditto if you got this stuff on you look in the mirror all they way to the drop to see if its
moved .

WOOD from liverpool dock
they load you with a spoon :frowning:

with new mesh i used to drop timbers into the gaps it took some of the slip out of the load and or use 3 straps per stack

Tyres loaded on a flat then roped & sheeted from Dunlop @ Cannock Chase. :laughing:
Rolls of cloth loaded in a tilt in Prato. A fork lift with a pole would ram them in from the back. Did a few miles & the side uprights would bend. The sideboards would pop. By the time you reached Dover the trailer was 16 wide... :smiley: One of my first jobs to Italy was to go to Mont Cenis Pass & pick up two 10 drums of cable that had come off a truck that had turned over. He had put them on upright & the hairpins were so severe the truck turned over @ 20mph. I loaded them flat but had trouble getting on to the AutoStradasā€¦ The funny thing is that the guy that had had the accident did a runner. He never even phoned the firm or the police to report the accident.

Bad loads? Donā€™t get me started :open_mouth: .
Beet pulp in giant hessian sacks. Came off a conveyor at the end of the trailer. Catch it exactly right on your shoulder, too far forward and you go flat on your face, too far the other way and it breaks your back. Catch it right and start running, to drop it precisely in position, very difficult to adjust if you get it wrong and in any case you wonā€™t be back to the belt in time to catch the next one.
And as if all that wasnā€™t enough you drive off into the sunset itching like hell from all the dust that has gone down your shirt and found its way into all your little places :open_mouth: .
And yes, steel mesh. Did a lot of that out of BRC, Stafford I think it was, with Econofreight. When I didnā€™t have chains (straps werenā€™t invented :unamused: ) I would put steel spikes with a ā€˜Uā€™ hook into one of the squares, then rope from that with a double dolly hitch. Do that all round and then go round with a second set of ropes to get it just that little bit tighter, before removing the first lot.
With chains and sylvesters use 2 chains side by side tightening first one then the other 'till the stuff was squashed down to the minimum.
Mont Cenis Harry, anything was hairy over there :laughing: . If you have never pulled or followed a stepframe then wonder no longer what all those scratches are on the hairpins - underrun bars :laughing: .
But going back further when in the genuine tramping days, leaving home on Monday with a load the boss gave you and coming back Saturday having found your own all week. There werenā€™t many handball loads on my wagon in those days :wink: .

Anything on the back of the waggon :smiley: I like driving just not keen on delivering :blush:
Mount Cenis! Iā€™ve done that on a motobike. COOL. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Got to ask why didnā€™t you go through the Tunnel or wasnā€™t it there then

The only tunnel was Mont Blanc at the timeā€¦ The Cenis was only open for the summerā€¦

The funny thing was that they had recovered the truck but the 2 drums were on the side of the pass. I came down from the French side but they couldn`t swing the crane over my cab so I had to go to the bottom ,turn around, load ,go to the top and then turn around & go down the Italian side againā€¦I got plenty of practice that dayā€¦ :smiley: The first peage in Italy refused to let me on because with the drums on their side i was too wide. I went down the national to the next peage & got on thereā€¦ I think the load was for Forliā€¦?

wood in a curtainsider,mainly when loaded to the roof and they scarper as you attempt to put straps over the load, then10/20 miles down road ,stop to retighten the load as it as settled,mainly out of shorham,but tilbury can be a pain.

I had a demo Police Range Rover on the back of a small transporter trailer from Solihull to Newport. Heart sunk everytime I looked in the mirrorā€¦ :blush:

PRICELESS ā€œHā€ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: