Loads to nowhere,no address

As mentioned by Paul Lambert,cargo on the way up from europe to the uk,is not sold,and the driver will not know where it is going. At his/her collection point in europe,especially with fruit and veg,they will be discussing a price for the load on the way up,and where it will be delivered to.
I had this with onions from Spain,just told 7 tips,told later where and when.Hard to put addresses on the cmr,for the consignee,and customs would want to know where i was going to as well.

Summat like this Tobes …
“Boss I’m at Dover, one hitter, gonna get a kip”

“only gonna be Covent just run in and tip it off the card n get yer head down”
“Ring in when you get near London.”
“Still nothing ring in at Rugby”
“Not Leeds so ring in at Brum”
“Edge Lane or Manc, bell us from Pops”

“Glasgow and Edinburgh it is, you can do that in your hours can’t ya ■■”

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if i ever get that the cmr gets addressed to works depot and then will fill out delivery notes at where ever they get delivered,hopefully the load will be in order to come off without having to criss x the country too much

Back in the 80’s every second load of onions I did didn’t have a delivery address, we’d just put the importers address on, Kilvingtons, Picton Rd, or Alfred Price, Kings Dock St. No problem as they were the owners of the stuff till they’d ‘sold it on’ anyway!!

Ross.

Onew guy i worked for would say make a ghost tacho to tip the markets at night,coming off the ferry,as he would book a re-load to back out,in a time that was impossible,the onion runs were a night mare,tip your own,moody staff at the markets,and so on.

I remember my dad when he had a load of chocolate from swiss the delivery address was Marks & Spencer Glasgow thats you lot

My personal favourite, was when doing export loads from the uk to say spain, we had to be verywhere like yesterday, chased you all the way, and when you got there, they had given you the billing address, or the head office details, which was nowhere near the delivery point, got sent to barcelona once with an urgent load, which had to go to alicante… i soon learned that in spanish , planta means floor, not as in plant, soo, when i got the details for delivery which included the words say planta 3, i would ring up the office and ask them how i was going to get an artic to the third floor of a building !

richmond:
My personal favourite, was when doing export loads from the uk to say spain, we had to be verywhere like yesterday, chased you all the way, and when you got there, they had given you the billing address, or the head office details, which was nowhere near the delivery point, got sent to barcelona once with an urgent load, which had to go to alicante… i soon learned that in spanish , planta means floor, not as in plant, soo, when i got the details for delivery which included the words say planta 3, i would ring up the office and ask them how i was going to get an artic to the third floor of a building !

Yes happened to me a couple of times in the early days. Nearly fell for it in central Madrid and actual did fall for it in Malaga.
But we live and learn. :smiley:

I did my fair share of this, mostly with Greek Watermelons, Park on the Hornsey Road and watch the crumpet all day as a load of Bubbles would turn up and load their cars and vans straight from the back of the trailer, at the end of the day the buyer would give me 60 quid and before the Octagonal wax cardboard bins you’d get to keep the pallets too, which added a few more quid to the deal, not bad money for the late 80s :wink: