Loading of Euros on flatbeds

I am curious as to why the overwhelming majority of flats I see fully laden with euro pallets of say bricks/paving stones choose to load the pallets to the edges of the trailer, thus leaving a gap of say 45-60 CMS running down the middle of the trailer.

I was always taught to keep your load in contact as much as possible to minimise possibility of freight shift, is their a reason for loading like this that may help me improve my loading strategy.

Many thanks in advance.

Possibly because loaded by grab machines not forks ? Also if netted driver needs to walk down centre of load to roll net out not over top of packs

Access for the brick grab.

Ok that makes sense, thanks. Everyday is a learning day etc.

That is the reason but your logic is absolutely correct, if the pallets/goods are not in contact with one another then it is able to move. The picture on the M60 accident thread of the container front bulkhead shows what happens to the load when everything comes to a sudden stop.

They should really have dunnage between the rows. You occasionally see one running with sections of pallet as dunnage between the rows.

msgyorkie:
Access for the brick grab.

Also not a bad idea if using a forklift as if the pallets are tightly packed there’s a chance you could catch the pallet behind with the forks.

It’s for access for the brick net.

We ship between depots and it’s all done by forklifts not a grab.

Bricks don’t move as there is resistance between the trailer bed unlike timber which will slip inwards if a gap is left between the packs.