Loading a Plus 9 Transporter (pics)

Just had to go to work this morning to tip a load from last night and had to reload with new hire cars from Wallsend and thought I would take a few pictures of the procedure for those of you who don’t know how its done. This is the way we do it for larger cars such as these Mondeos.

First of all, start with an empty truck and pull the ramps.

Stick your first car on backwards.

Tie it down.

Then kick the peak up and out the way. If you can fit them on, you can leave the peak where it is and reverse the next two on, but the Mondeos are too long for that.

Then cars, 2 3 and 4.

Then get rid of them!

Ready now for 5 6 and 7. This is the view from number 5.

Squeeze it in. Looks close but you can got to within an inch of the unit.

Then lift 5 6 and 7.

Stick number 8 into the well deck. This is tightish for the Mondeos, you have to keep it tight to the left so you can get out the door.

Then back in, number 9 and settle the decks back down.

Nice little load, 15ft 8ins no problem.

Give me a wave if you see me on Monday en route to Glasgow! :smiley:

just wondered how long it takes to load on a good day

Never ever in a month of Sundays would you get me doing that!! Like many ive driven high value loads - but just the thought of pushing the wrong lever and squashing one, or putting the decks too close and having one bounce into the deck above.

Noooooooooooooooooooo thanks!!

Good pics though!

Just wondered who you hand your lorry keys to when your loading? :laughing:

Nice one…thanks for that, first day on them things must be
eye opening :open_mouth:

Just wondered, are you told which cars go on which deck?

The reason i ask is the car on the top must be more likely to get damaged by overhanging branches

How do you work out the height?

I beleive they use a telescopic measuring pole - or similar.

ive always thought car transport must be murder, watching out for branches and trees, and the front end of the body swings out a mile in tight turns,far too much for me to deal with…it is an expensive load though do many car transporters get hi-jacked, in fact ive no heard of any hi-jackings recently - the last one i can remember is the bellshill one with the whisky.

great pictures & its good to see how other types of haulage work as well.

Must be a bit of a bugger securing that bottom one at the front ?

I beleive they use a telescopic measuring pole - or simila
correct and the best ones are marked in feet and metric

Just wondered, are you told which cars go on which deck
its upto the driver to sort out

thats about the easiest one

Just wondered, are you told which cars go on which deck?

The reason i ask is the car on the top must be more likely to get damaged by overhanging branches

You do have to watch out for that but with experiance you get to know which roads to avoid.

@ bowserman, excellent post mate ,unless your are alredy a trainer you should do it. nicely explained without all the drama of someone i knew in the job. just glad i dont do it anymore lol

Good pictures and post bowserman :smiley:

Is there a reason why the front top car goes on backwards, or it just your choice ?

Nice piccies there Chris…I’d often wondered how to do it properly! :wink:

P.S. I usually drive number 8 into the well deck, is it better reversed in? (I’ll experiment with that on Monday).

tachograph:
Good pictures and post bowserman :smiley:

Is there a reason why the front top car goes on backwards, or it just your choice ?

When you tip it up, the roof goes down, so you lose height.

Shrek:
Nice piccies there Chris…I’d often wondered how to do it properly! :wink:

P.S. I usually drive number 8 into the well deck, is it better reversed in? (I’ll experiment with that on Monday).

One of my mates told me you lose a couple of inches if you reverse it in and stop it just as the front wheels drop in. seems to work there shrek. :wink:

…and,as the well deck drops away, its easier to get out!!

DAFMAD:

Wheel strapped, dead easy, as Gez says, and Shrek will confirm.

neil46:
just wondered how long it takes to load on a good day

Hi Neil, Good day, such as this (without the photos) an hour. thats with all the cars available and pulled for you.

Bad day, like Thursday at BMW at Thorne, where I had to be inducted. The truck had to be inducted, by loading vehicles I wasnt even picking up and all the cars had to be wheelsrapped with 4 straps, 3 hours.

You will get of course, transporter drivers saying I could put that load on in 10 minutes (pinch of salt time folks). :stuck_out_tongue:

great…until i try and get my underlift under it…hmm…15 ft 8 inches and a load worth 200 grand…the last one had 9 mini convertibles on a drawbar outfit and had a collapsed front wheel bearing…nice.

great pics very interesting

Excellent photos Chris. Always wondered how its done. I’ve spotted some newer car transporters with the bigger cabs and no front overhang on the trailers. Are they phasing out the older overhang trailers, and if so, can the newer ones carry the same capacity ?

Just wait until we get some LHV’s going, 15+? Then I’ll be impressed. :laughing: