Loaded trucks for training/test

Some will know that, from the end of September, schools are required to provide loaded vehicles for test. I was just wondering what the views were of potential candidates. Are you concerned? Do you agree with it? Not bothered? Looking forward to it?

Just interested.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I already have my licence but for newbies I think it can only be a good thing, an empty truck behaves alot different then a loaded one its better to get that experience with someone next to you pointing you in the right direction then taking a loaded truck out on your own for the first time.

Is a truck loaded with 5 tonnes of water any good for a newbie with corsa experience? And training will be more expensive, more fuel, tyres. Pointless IMO. Won’t be any realistic…

Karl86:
I already have my licence but for newbies I think it can only be a good thing, an empty truck behaves alot different then a loaded one its better to get that experience with someone next to you pointing you in the right direction then taking a loaded truck out on your own for the first time.

Do you really think trainees care about how a loaded truck performs / behaves.

£1200 testing empty or £1500 testing loaded (but a better lifetime learning experince) or £500 and get lucky with 2 days training.

My money is on £1500 testing loaded LOL

Will they be loaded from day one or after a day or so ? I think you should experience both but loaded is a bit less forgiving for a first day.

I think its a good idea really. Only thought i have is with the water. Plain water will freeze in winter and possibly burst the tanks as water expands when frozen. Solution put anti freeze in it but tif it bursts that could be an environmental issue. Some suggest not quite filling the tanks but then that leaves the water sloshing about which is not the best for learners id have thought. I think sand would be a better option really

It would take a long time to freeze 1000 liters of water. British winter isn’t long and cold enough… In our depot we do have IBC’s with screenwash which freezes in our buses, but never in tanks…

Not too bothered, either way you’re always learning whether you’ve passed the test or not. Although if they’re upping the training fee’s I can only sense the brokers are going to have a field day with this. As they know people won’t mind paying a little less if they think their getting a better service for less :unamused:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

I have a little theory that this is all in response to complaints from DSA Examiners who don’t have air suspension on their side of the cab :wink:

But seriously, I think it’s a good idea. I actually found the first full 18t load easier to drive (though different) and it will help those who have a tendency to rush!

Is this also going to apply to C+E?

On a related note, is there also a change regarding gearboxes coming in in September?
Thought I read that an auto that allowed manual gear selection (without clutch) would enable a manual license to be gained providing a manual car license is held? Or have I been drinking too much antifreeze again…

RottenRich:
Will they be loaded from day one or after a day or so ? I think you should experience both but loaded is a bit less forgiving for a first day.

Too much time faffing around loading and unloading - what if the trainer does not have forklift or tail lift access â– â– 

th2013:

Yes = 10 tonnes in artics I think and 5+5 in W&Ds I think

ROG:

RottenRich:

Too much time faffing around loading and unloading - what if the trainer does not have forklift or tail lift access â– â– 

th2013:

It’s 8 tonne for artic and 5+3 for w& d

John

chevmac:

ROG:

RottenRich:

th2013:

It’s 8 tonne for artic and 5+3 for w& d

John

Ta John - me to lazy to look at the regs

Peter Smythe:
Some will know that, from the end of September, schools are required to provide loaded vehicles for test. I was just wondering what the views were of potential candidates. Are you concerned? Do you agree with it? Not bothered? Looking forward to it?

Just interested.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete, as you know I went straight from your (unladen) W&D to my first job, driving a fully loaded 44 tonner. I doubt if having the experience of an eight tonnes load in a W&D would have made any difference to me personally - my arse would still have been trying to eat the seat cushion.