Loaded trucks for learner drivers

truckingtopics.co.uk/loadedtrainingtr.html

A good thing?
(more realistic training)

Or a bad thing?
(more expense for people entering an industry where the costs are already high?)

Everyone has been saying they should learn in loaded trucks for years. I doubt you’d find anyone saying its a bad idea.

Good idea!

I took my C licence test in a flatbed which was actually smaller and lighter than the 7.5t curtainsider I had been driving before, it was just too easy! The last rule change added that a box or curtainside body must be fitted which made more sense, adding a load makes it more realistic.

IMHO there should also be a requirement to have some motorway training before the test with the trainer signing this off before the test can be taken. (Not possible to add it to the test in some areas due to lack of motorways)

Stick the weight on give them am underpowered unit aswell for good measure. Infact gee them a mpg figure to hit into the bargain.

Not saying its a bad idea but to a learner its not going to make a difference, if they dont know what an empty lorry feels like a lightly loaded lorry will just feel normal to them.

From a cost perspective I think its a bad idea, as someone who has recently passed cat C (last year) and C+E (couple of months ago) and initial DCPC it costs over 3k and thats for a first time pass on everything. I failed cat C 3 times and module 4 once so it cost me 4k @£300 for a retest for cat C. This will no doubt increase costs as many of the trainers vehicles won’t be in a good enough state to carry the weight (I know one who has had to upgrade his trailer in anticipation of this rule change) and then the extra cost of the fuel.

From an experience point of view I think it’s a great idea but if your gonna do it, do it propperly! I think cat C Wasn’t too different compared to empty but the first time I ran at 44 tonne that was an experience!

its a stupid idea, just imagine some junctions and roundabouts with a learner behind the wheel of a 44 tonner…it could take hours before they get everything sorted to pull out safely. Also not everyone drives at top weight. I think its more important to get used to the size of vehicle not the weight.

I did my training in a 400 horse scania at 42 tons.
I think it is a good thing. they are trucks, and are made to haul stuff.

I don’t think any of them will be operating at 44 tonnes.

And anyone doing C+E will already have Cat C, so there won’t be many/any getting their first taste of truck driving with a 44-tonne vehicle.

I was delivering steel with my driving instructor, and he still had the cheek to charge me for the lessons. Invaluable insight to driving fully loaded vehicles. To be fair the test seemed easier with no load on. All depends what you get used to. In my opinion its a good idea.

I haven’t long passed my class 2 and since I started my job Monday I notice a huge difference in driving fully loaded.
I support the idea

I think there should be some restrictions on a new licence holder, just like they have on a new car driver!

I would say its a good idea but then I think you would have to pay more for lessons due to the increase of fuel consumption and wear on the tires, suspension, clutch, gearbox etc so is it worth doing is the question because I had no problem the first time I drove with weight on, I just took it easy until I got used to it the same as I presume most other people did.

Of course it is a good idea but it need to be implemented in the proper way for drivers to benefit.Anybody remember the disaster when they tried it in the 70’s?

In reality the whole test needs to be updated as there have been no beneficial updates since it was introduced.
Ideally a driver would start off driving an empty vehicle giving him or her time to adapt to the size etc then progress on to a loaded vehicle.

Of course as usual it all boils down to time and money therefore it undoubtedly will not be done correctly for the most benefits.

weeto:
I think there should be some restrictions on a new licence holder, just like they have on a new car driver!

Why should they have restrictions and what do you believe they should be?

weeto:

I don’t understand how any professional driver is going to get a job with a ‘restricted’ new licence - it’s hard enough for newbs as it is.

You could have a really realistic test.

Starts in the dark, when you are thrown a set of keys which could fit any one of 10 trucks, none of which you have ever seen before, which are parked in a sea of mud at least 100 yards away.

You have a set of five waymarks to find on your test drive…the addresses you have been given of three will each contain a basic mistake (street for road) for instance, which you will be expected to work around.

On two occasions during your drive, your mobile will ring with an inane query about where you are and what you are doing. You must deal with these while driving.

During an allocated ‘rest’ period during the test, you must deal with an irate householder demanding that you move on because you are spoiling the view and a scruffy character who wants the ‘loan’ of a couple of gallons of diesel.

On your return to the test centre you must sit through a debrief, in which you will be asked why it took you so long to drive down School Street at 3.30 pm, without losing your temper.

If you can do all this you are truly a ‘professional driver’!

thehairyarsedtrucker:
its a stupid idea, just imagine some junctions and roundabouts with a learner behind the wheel of a 44 tonner…it could take hours before they get everything sorted to pull out safely. Also not everyone drives at top weight. I think its more important to get used to the size of vehicle not the weight.

Its not going to be sitting at 44 tonne tho. Just enough weight to make a slight difference.

weeto:

With the exception of Northern Ireland I’m not aware of any restrictions on car drivers.

I think progressive weight gain would be a good idea. A little bit like most of us drivers!

Seriously though, I think if you increase the weight throughout the course then that can only be a good thing. It’s a hell of a lot easier when you’re not carrying anything.