Load Weights

Hi everyone…

Does anyone know of any legal documentation on the legalities of load weights and if there is anything out there about the manifest weights… having a bit of a discussion with work, and need the facts before I go in… :smiley:

Not sure if these help, but here’s a couple of Gov.uk pages-

gov.uk/moving-goods-by-road

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … eights.pdf

Yep ,
it`s on every LGV vehicle plating certificate found in the cab and on the trailer .

That`s your 1st port of call.

example pic :

If the vehicle is not in accordance for need of Ministry plating then your next port of call is the Manufacturers Vehicle Plate. VIN plate.
eg. :

Trux - I think he means the weight of his goods not the vehicle capacity weights.
As far as I know theres no requirement for a manifest to have exact weights that are correct. They are more for guidance. Is your problem is that on paper your overweight based on manifested weight? We used to have companies using the pallet network would put down 1000kgs for every pallet even if it only weighed 150kgs - I think this was because of the way they paid for damages to goods, paid per ton. As long as you’re not physically overweight you’re ok.

we used to have stuff from Europe brought in and I think it was a thing the French Germans etc would do so you could tot up weights I also knew of company’s doing the same going the other way.
Don’t know about now but reels of paper had weights on them as did packs of timber etc …
Years ago we would pick up lemonade out of Corby and the lemonade pallets had weights on them then they forgot to re do the weights when the 1.5lt bottles were on special giving a 3rd of a lt free so instead of the weight being done for a 2lt bottle it ws still for a 1.5 :unamused:

It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure that all weight limits are complied with. If in doubt this is done by driving to the nearest public weighbridge and checking it.

There is no defence for overloading other than you were on your way from the point of loading to the nearest public weighbridge.

Got delivered 2 new 18 t no vehicle plate certificate this was 4 wks ago can we still drive the vehicle them.

tommy67:
Got delivered 2 new 18 t no vehicle plate certificate this was 4 wks ago can we still drive the vehicle them.

Plating certificates not required until first test.

weeto:

tommy67:

Plating certificates not required until first test.

When we had a new lorry delivered,the plating cert would arrive about a week later in the post. One part to affix to vehicle and one part to keep in vehicle file. I always found it odd that the one for the vehicle did not have tyre sizes on,but the one kept in the office did ,especially as the one with tyre sizes had to be produced for the annual test.
Regard. John.

I think these guys would appreciate a bit of advice !!

A lot of tipper work is done without documented weights ie delivering soil from one place to another. No weighbridge so it’s done by the load (assumed to be the lorrys’ maximum legal weight). Many inert tips don’t have weighbridges; At Shipton Quarry (they do have a bridge though) you’re assumed to be carrying 19500kg, the tipping note says you were, strangely EVERY 8 wheeler to load out of or tip there tares at 12500 (isn’t that remarkable?). Hence I wont tip my 6w there as we get billed for 19.5t. We do make sure our 8w is carrying what they charge us for though. :wink: