Load Security?

We have to tick boxes on our timesheets to say we have done our daily checks every day, but i have a little bit of a problem with one as it says has load security been checked, ALL our trailers are selaed and we have no way of seeing inside them or to check they have been strapped.

So basically do i have to tick yes? at the minute i put n/a but i,m sure they will have me on it soon.

if they are willing to let you break the seal and check the load then fair enough,but if they are not then the person who loads it ticks it and then gets it countersigned by his supervisor.thus removing blame from driver.but personnelly i’d break the seal and check it myself as i am the one who would be held responsible if anything happened.if they had a problem with me breaking the seal then the load would stay where it is. :wink:

Because the driver is responsible for the load no amount of paperwork would make the police happy! You have to get in and have a look, if employers are stopping you from doing this refuse to drive! because its illegal for them to stop you!

Remember if the load shifts its you thats in the ■■■ not the person who loaded it.

Jammy as you know do the same work as you, well used to… with that box i always put cannot check it due to being sealed. They haven’t pulled me up on it yet as if they were too then i’d say well it’s the truth i cannot break the seal to check the load security as all the paperwork would need to be changed etc ec. You know the score on that one.

TC:
Because the driver is responsible for the load no amount of paperwork would make the police happy! You have to get in and have a look, if employers are stopping you from doing this refuse to drive! because its illegal for them to stop you!

Remember if the load shifts its you thats in the ■■■ not the person who loaded it.

it is as tc said, absaloutly no way would any thing else wash with plod. your vehicle, your responsibility(spelling) .
its up to YOU to know whats in the back and how or if its strapped. regardless of how long it takes the office bods to do paperwork… :wink:

I agree with Ian and Terry here, Its one of the things that is bad in the game, the driver is always responsible for load security, that was all very well when we were loading them and then sheeting them down ourselves, but nowadays theres a lot of pick up loaded trailers or boxes that the driver aint got a clue how its loaded. As for checking every time, its a nice idea, but theres some things that couldnt be checked unless the entire thing was unloaded and then reloaded to the drivers satisfaction! catch 22 aint it.

On a reefer it doesn’t make a difference if it all falls over as it won’t (shouldn’t) effect anyone else, and you’re covered cuz it was sealed and should have been strapped properly in the first place… i.e NOT YOUR FAULT

A curtainsider is a different matter… I would insist on looking in the back before setting off…

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Thats not quite true Chrisie!

When a Reefer is full of cages and one or two of the cages move then you can be in big trouble especialy in an artic and your turning!!
bareing in mind its possible to have a couple of tonne in one cage, a big movement can put you on your side!

Tell your TM that you intend asking the VOSA if this is acceptable as you feel its unsafe, unless they can provide you with proof that it is not.
When I worked for a firm who had a similar form I use to add notes, i.e. bodywork checked but dirty/ / raining / dark. Tyres not checked due to darkness. Horn not checked, illegal due time etc.
I got a few written reminders, but these stopped when I passed one on to the police & VI complaining they were trying to bully me into breaking the law by disciplining me for not sounding a horn at 2 am.

either way i would think that woteva trailer your pulling, as far as the law are concerned its your vehicle your the driver there for its your responsibility to make certain the vehicle is loaded in a safe and secure manner for the road.
as with checking wheel nuts tyres etc etc.
having said all that i do know how easy it is to say to yourself oh well its sealed it will be ok. BUT ultimatly the buck WILL stop with YOU should there be an accident… :wink:

As far as I know the buck stops with the driver when it comes to the load regardless.
But, I know one thing from experience, the loading of it when applied to weight imposed on yer drive axle is a defo!
We used to pull reefers full of 45 gallon drums of fruit juice in the early 80’s out of felixstowe unnacompanied. These trailers would overload your drive axle everytime. I used to get in and bowl them back to balance it up, some didnt bother, I saw them down the road pulled in and booked.
The excuse it was loaded in Holland didnt cut it! :smiley: