load security...

Ten concrete beams. Three straps. No edge protectors for straps.

Thoughts?

one more strap plus edge protector’s and i’d be happy with that. mainly cause there are sidepost’s in.

Won’t their own weight hold them down? :open_mouth:

Won’t go anywhere, it’s secured with red and white tape all right as long as he doesn’t have to stop sharpish…

It’s still on the trailer… :wink:

I think load security is a bit more than keeping it where it is trundling along or harsh braking. You have to have a fighting chance it’ll stay near the lorry in a collision or rollover. Those battle tanks that flew all over the M1 in the 2000s.

inb4 dieseldog999 comes along and says the stripey tape is plenty and thanks for [zb]ing up the job even further, the time now wasted strapping a load down could have been spent reapplying the magnet removing a fuse and playing frisby with the analogue charts. Ya bunch of jobsworth W :anchor: 's :smiley:

Me? I’d throw on six to eight straps with corner protectors (either self bodged cardboard or proper plastic ones if I had them) if my straps didn’t have the sleeves, but really you should insist on the right kit for the job if you and your boss new you were collecting them beforehand.

Whats the weight of the load? Those straps are rated typically 5 tonnes each maximum so if its a 20 tonne load then on capacity alone there’s not enough straps.

Evil8Beezle:
Won’t their own weight hold them down? :open_mouth:

When you move them about in yard some places have none on / or require none , some say 1/2 yard straps , so yea it will be fine .

m.a.n rules:
one more strap plus edge protector’s and i’d be happy with that. mainly cause there are sidepost’s in.

Thread finished :slight_smile:

Personally I’d have 4 straps with sleeves or padding + a correct long load marker

The only place that lot is gonna shift is forward! Which could be a tad problematic to the driver to say the least! To that end I’d at least make sure that at least one strap was placed just in front of the rebar sticking up.

I don’t see those posts being any use other than decorations. Half are bent and all are not in contact with the load. A lateral acceleration in an impact with that mass will see those posts snapped off or bending over no bother.

Look at the outer beams on the bottom layer, the straps are doing sfa.

cav551:

You’ll prob find the bearers all line up so the pressure applied would be enough.
If not a strap back and front on the bottom layer would do

cav551:

If they were touching he’d have needed edge protection! :laughing:

m.a.n rules:

Yes but there are side posts fitted to cut down curtains by Micky mouse for the sake of pedestrian edge protection and side posts fitted as in bolsters to proper flatbed trailers like those required by corus as was for loading steel .

Punchy Dan:

m.a.n rules:

Yes but there are side posts fitted to cut down curtains by Micky mouse for the sake of pedestrian edge protection and side posts fitted as in bolsters to proper flatbed trailers like those required by corus as was for loading steel .

totally agree punchy but I was talking about that actual load and would take it as I said and drive accordingly.

In a practical sense, and driving with a bit of consideration, Don’t see it as a problem… but would DVSA be inclined to agree with that thinking? My attitude is if I have more straps etc. than I need, I’ll prefer to use more than I could get away rather than the minimum.

I would have gone with four straps on the lower tier, four more over the top.

There’s an ACOP for safe loading of course. Not sure if pre-cast is mentioned specifically though.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … hicles.pdf