Load security with 26t

Hi all, been doing fridge work since I passed class 2 in July time on agency and every now and then do some pallet multi drop for a big blue company.

Question I have is on the body, there are no internal straps, however on the 2 vertical posts, there is space for 3 horizontal bars on each set (see pic) for a total of 3 sets of 3 bars up the side of the body. Would these bars satisfy as having the pallets secured obviously as long as they are at the right height, or would I be safer getting ratchets and securing them down that way?

For me if it’s light stuff and the bars height is correct I’d be happy with that. If it’s heavy I’d still put some ratchets on even if they are hardly tightened (crushable goods) so they are on just for show.

It’s hard to tell from that photo, is that a load bearing vehicle? Easy way to tell, theres a patch on the curtains telling you its XL rated. Failing that, the curtain reinforcement strips are vertical and horizontal, making a pattern of squares about 70cm across.

If it is, the you only need to worry about strapping the very last pallets down. Bear in mind, every time you do a drop, the new back pallets need securing.

If it’s not a load bearing vehicle, you’ll have to strap every pallet over 400k kilo to the deck.

Nite Owl:
It’s hard to tell from that photo, is that a load bearing vehicle? Easy way to tell, theres a patch on the curtains telling you its XL rated. Failing that, the curtain reinforcement strips are vertical and horizontal, making a pattern of squares about 70cm across.

If it is, the you only need to worry about strapping the very last pallets down. Bear in mind, every time you do a drop, the new back pallets need securing.

If it’s not a load bearing vehicle, you’ll have to strap every pallet over 400k kilo to the deck.

Load bearing curtains :smiley:

If you dont want a fine when you get stopped secure EVERYTHING over 400kg with ratchet straps and use internals for the light stuff, and read this…ALL of it gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

Thanks for the info guys, think I’m out in it tomorrow so will have a look and possible get some more pics for clarification :smiley:

If you have a strap, wedge or similar, use it. That means if your stopped or something goes wrong, you can show that you’ve tried. It shows you’ve tried, even if it’s not perfect. Far easier than having to try and justify why you didn’t use something, anything, from the very first conversation.
So many insure load enforcement stem from the driver saying “it’s okay, I’ll be fine”