Load Safety Manual

Wasn’t sure which forum would be most appropriate for this so I’m putting it here and hopefully a mod can either move it or leave it here as they see fit. Hope that’s ok. :slight_smile:

Anyway…found this yesterday whilst I was trying to find out how much side projection you can have before you need marker boards. It’s the DFT code of practice for load safety and it looks most useful for newbies (and maybe more experienced drivers as well).

123 page PDF with details of all kinds of loads and securing methods and the science behind it.

I learnt that the pins on the side of my lorry are called “stanchions”. Woopie! :laughing:

Hope it hasn’t been posted before.

I didn’t include the link did I! :blush:

dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … 506864.pdf

Andy, no link for us lazy gits■■? :unamused: :cry:

Don’t tell me I have to go search for it myself??!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

marcustandy:
Andy, no link for us lazy gits■■? :unamused: :cry:

Don’t tell me I have to go search for it myself??!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Sorry…rectified that now.

I’ve been reading some more of it now and the section on moving plant looks very good…deals with individual types of machine.

I’m considering trying to get myself a hard copy from somewhere.

well done Andy :slight_smile:

now i have something official in writing to support my refusing to put straps on roping hooks :smiley: :smiley:

nice info…

A bit too late for the guy at our place who forgot to ensure the straps were tight on a full load of empty a frame cages (about140) they rolled around so much they have smashed through the bulk head of a fridge trailer :open_mouth: the trailer is sat in the yard and the bulk head and fridge motor etc are left hanging onto the trailer by one corner (luckily the guy was in the yard when this happened!!!) :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ill try and get a piccy today…
:wink:
it makes you think twice about securing your straps :confused: :confused:

Thanks for the link Andyroo :smiley:

By the way Andyroo.
A load up to 2.90m width does not need marking. 2.90m and more needs markers and at night needs to be lit as well.
When measuring the width, you need to include your securing equipment too. So a load of steel plate, width of the plate being say 2.85 metres, would need to be marked, because the thickness of the chains over the edges of the plate would make the total width to 2.90 or more.

Simon:
By the way Andyroo.
A load up to 2.90m width does not need marking. 2.90m and more needs markers and at night needs to be lit as well.
When measuring the width, you need to include your securing equipment too. So a load of steel plate, width of the plate being say 2.85 metres, would need to be marked, because the thickness of the chains over the edges of the plate would make the total width to 2.90 or more.

I was appox 2.50m, which overhung the bed by about an inch either side plus maybe another two inches on one side for the ratchet handles .

I thought it would be ok but thought I’d check just in case.

Thanks for the Link Andyroo, But is does make you think.
What many of us were taught about loads security before getting our licence was basically getting told “load security was the drivers responability” you then have to learn on the job and by you own commonsense, if you’re lucky the mistakes are a few damaged goods and a bit of embarassment, but for some the mistakes cost lives.
Surely if HGV driving is supposed to be a profession, then entry to that profession should involve more than proving you can point a truck in the right direction.

muckles:
Surely if HGV driving is supposed to be a profession, then entry to that profession should involve more than proving you can point a truck in the right direction.

…and so came the ‘CPC for Drivers’ despite loadsa people complaining about it!! :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

marcustandy:

muckles:

…and so came the ‘CPC for Drivers’ despite loadsa people complaining about it!! :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

and hopefully it will cover useful stuff. :wink: :smiley:

I think these ‘cpc’ courses are a good idea…as long as you can do it once and then that’s it. Renewable ones are a waste of everybodies time and money.

Andyroo:
I think these ‘cpc’ courses are a good idea…as long as you can do it once and then that’s it. Renewable ones are a waste of everybodies time and money.

I think there is a need for continuaion training, both to as a refresher course and to keep up to date with new technology and regluations.

muckles:

Andyroo:

I think there is a need for continuaion training, both to as a refresher course and to keep up to date with new technology and regluations.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Flippin 'eck Muckles - you’re brave!!! On a different thread I said something similar and I reckon I was approaching ‘enemy number one’ status!! :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

muckles:

Andyroo:

I agree in principle, but from the point of view of an employed driver in this country I can see it all coming out of my own pocket…unlike training in 90% of other industries. :frowning:

marcustandy:

muckles:

Andyroo:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Flippin 'eck Muckles - you’re brave!!! On a different thread I said something similar and I reckon I was approaching ‘enemy number one’ status!! :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

Well got my tin hat on, :laughing: