Load Restraining Bars

Hi everyone, my first post so be gentle.

I’ve been doing a weekly trip to Germany for two years now,and the Bossman has finally agreed that the load restraining bars that clip onto Euroliner side boards would be a good idea. (Only took 8 months of nagging !)
Anyone know where I can get some and roughly how much they are ?
Regards
Peter :smiley:

Trucking Turner:

I’ve been doing a weekly trip to Germany for two years now,and the Bossman has finally agreed that the load restraining bars that clip onto Euroliner side boards would be a good idea. (Only took 8 months of nagging !)
Regards

hi mate and well come

i would say get in touch with a trailer manufacture there would no

google…

saveaload.com/

gtf.co.uk/?gclid=CPWegenB2J0CFQdl4wodh09gsg

allsafe-group.com/

Trucking Turner:

welcome to the nut house, like you said it’s your first post so we’ll play nice :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :wink: .

Trucking Turner:

Regards

you can find some at any good truck park/msa after dark usually - yoink :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

can’t you just use rope?

ask the manufactur who built the trailer also ask if they have
a TÃœV ladungs certificate as well

Trucking Turner:

Regards

Hi Peter,

Being as gentle as I can… :wink:

It’s your boss’ vehicle, so if he wants do international work with the big boys, he might need to ‘up’ his game. :grimacing:

German law [StVO §22(1) ] requires that loads are suitably restrained, so if you’re caught with restraints of a lesser standard, the chances are that you’ll be fined and issued with the German equivalent of a PG9 prohibiting further movement of your vehicle until the situation is rectified. As far as you’re concerned as a driver, you simply get delayed, but your boss might have some explaining to do to a customer if you are late delivering/collecting a time-sensitive load. He’ll then still have to buy the correct restraints, so IMHO it’s a no-brainer as to whether he shells out for proper restraints and he can think himself very lucky that he’s got away with it for as long as you said.

:bulb: Dave’s tip for Germany… Their laws are usually a bit stricter than ours and their police/BAG (VOSA equivalent) are sharper than ours in my opinion. I’m fairly sure that brit pete can confirm this. :wink:

brit pete is spot-on about the TÃœV Ladungszertifikat, but the Germans will also accept the ‘CE’ standard of equipment on foreign registered vehicles.

Gute Reise. :smiley:

a month or two ago a agency driver picked a load up and decided it didnt need restraining , no restraining bars or straps or nothing.
he came to a steep hill and we assume he missed a gear but not certain,4 doughlavs[doubt thats how you spell it] came down trailer,hit back doors,smashing them open and depositing pork products all over the road :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,closing the road so im told.
i saw trailer later and it had bent the bars that lock doors so was true.
i must admit id always put 2 straps on them but not always restraining bars, as there wasnt always some there, but now whenever i go out 1 always goes in trailer.

A insecure load in Germany will not just cost you
Time Money in fines plus and cross/reloading charges incurred
but also points for the driver ,loader and also owner,
and they will get the summons served on to those who
are held responsible,

jessicas dad:
google…

saveaload.com/

allsafe-group.com/

And in the same vein, apparently this thing does something, what did you want again? :stuck_out_tongue:

saveaload.com/sal-video.html

I think they sell chest expanders :wink:

Trucking Turner:
… the Bossman has finally agreed that the load restraining bars that clip onto Euroliner side boards would be a good idea.

Hi again Peter,
I’ve checked my earlier post and did a little research, which you might pass to your boss. :wink: :smiley:

Securing freight according to German standards…

It seems that folks who deliver/collect in Germany might not be entirely sure of the German legal requirements for the securing of loads, so to sort the myths from reality, I’ve had a little read of the German equivalent of our Road Traffic Act so that I can offer something definitive and at least inform you of where the goalposts are.

This is a personal translation, so it’s a ‘Google’ free zone. :grimacing:
The blue writing below is straight from the German Road Traffic Act and NOT from a handbook. :wink:

Straßenverkehrs-Ordnung § 22(1)
(1) Die Ladung einschließlich Geräte zur Ladungssicherung sowie Ladeeinrichtungen sind so zu verstauen und zu sichern, dass sie selbst bei Vollbremsung oder plötzlicher Ausweichbewegung nicht verrutschen, umfallen, hin- und herrollen, herabfallen oder vermeidbaren Lärm erzeugen können. Dabei sind die anerkannten Regeln der Technik zu beachten.

Straßenverkehrs-Ordnung § 22(1)
Road Traffic Act Section 22 para 1

(1) Die Ladung einschließlich Geräte zur Ladungssicherung sowie Ladeeinrichtungen sind so zu verstauen und zu sichern, dass sie selbst bei Vollbremsung oder plötzlicher Ausweichbewegung nicht verrutschen, umfallen, hin- und herrollen, herabfallen oder vermeidbaren Lärm erzeugen können.
The load, including securing devices and equipment, shall be so stowed and secured that they cannot slide, fall over, roll about, fall off or make avoidable noise during full braking or sudden swerving.

Dabei sind die anerkannten Regeln der Technik zu beachten.
In doing so [securing the load] recognised techinical standards shall be observed.

FROM WIKIPEDIA (But still a Google-free zone. :wink: )
Possible outcomes of breaches of StVO § 22:
Those with responsibility under StVO § 22 are: The driver, the vehicle owner and the loader.
The possible penalties are a fine of €50 - €150 and 1-3 driving licence points.
(The German driving licence points system is different to the UK.)

If the load makes “avoidable noise,” the fine is €10.

If a person is injured in a traffic accident and a breach of StVO § 22 is found to have contributed to it, then a prison sentence is also possible.

My own comments:
As you can see, German load securing standards are quite tough. The requirements are set out in the German equivalent of our Road Traffic Act, and brit pete is spot-on about the German Police/BAG’s zero-tolerance attitude towards this subject.

That just leaves us rooting around for the “recognised technical standards.”
These are found in rather wordy scientific documents, one example being VDI-Richtlinien 2700 ff. I’m making no attempt to translate that, because I wouldn’t have a clue what it means even it it were written in English. :open_mouth: (I’m no scientist. :blush: )

:bulb: Let’s just say that if you can secure your load as per my translation of StVO § 22(1), you’ve nothing to fear. :wink:

Hello i will just add the following
IF the offence warrants it
then any fines, points and possible jail
sentence where applicable,will be handed out
you can be given more than 1-3 points this all
depends on how they judge the offence,goes
for Driver,Loader and the owner,
As Dave said if the load is correctly lashed and stowed
you will not have any problem, ,look through
the sticky s and the useful links if you have not done so all ready
here are some good sites which will help you
any questions just ask away sme one will have a answer for you
on here,

This might be useful or interesting :wink: - The following snapshots show the kind of ridiculous and inadequate cargo and load securing which, unfortunately, is a daily occurrence in road, railroad and maritime transport.
tis-gdv.de/tis_e/foto/inhalt.htm#2005url

Lycanthrope:
This might be useful or interesting :wink: - The following snapshots show the kind of ridiculous and inadequate cargo and load securing which, unfortunately, is a daily occurrence in road, railroad and maritime transport.
tis-gdv.de/tis_e/foto/inhalt.htm#2005url

Ah!, it’ll be reet :laughing:

I have viewed the site before but the stupidity of the techniques used amuses me.

No need for the complicated formulas.

The assumed coefficient of friction µ for the load (squared lumber / steel loading area) is no more than 0.2.
The pre-tensioning force (STF on the belt label: 350 daN) is in this case 350 x 1.5 = 525 daN under ideal conditions.
The lashing belt undoubtedly slides over the plastic tank very well, but is attached at a very unfavorable angle because it has been passed over the side gates. The angle (Figure :sunglasses: is around 50 ° or probably less.

For the pre-tensioning forces of 525 daN that have been introduced, this means that they are reduced to 105 daN of securing force as a result of the low coefficient of friction of 0.2 (525 x 0.2 = 105). This very small securing force must still be multiplied by a factor of 0.77 (sine alpha) because of the unfavorable angle. This results in: 105 daN x 0.77 = 80.85 daN.

This means that the actual maximum securing force available is around 80 daN. And this is intended to secure a load of some three tonnes.

Simples, common sense beats all those numbers. a strap over the side boards aint gonna do nowt except look pretty, especially with a plastic tank

anyone got the same info but for belgium?

@malcolmj , belive KW will say the ,that Belgium
is also getting tough on load lashing and that more checks
are being carried out, AND THEY ARE ENFORCING the law
as regards this, Tips can be found on the useful links site and
in the euro sticky,s post, the use of ASM anti-skid-matting
along with the other types of equipment to secure a load
plus doing it correctly should ensure that no problems are
found by those who inspect when you are checked,

malcolmj:
anyone got the same info but for belgium?

Hi malcolmj, I wouldn’t venture any info on Belgium, because I can’t be as definitive with either of their languages as I can with German. Sorry. :blush:

:open_mouth: German is OK for me, but they speak funny in Belgium. :wink: :grimacing:

why i asked was yeserday i loaded 8 pallets @1.2 tonne each but because i didnt have any rubber matting when they messured the gap to the edge of trl to the pallet it worked out that i needed 27 twenty seven straps to hold the 8 pallets down
when i then said well they will have to come off as i only had 5 straps left there reply was well " just drive carfully!!"
ps in 3 laybys on the E411 between Lux and brussell trailers and loads being inspected by the police they were pullin trucks off the motorway with their X5’s

malcolmj:
why i asked was yeserday i loaded 8 pallets @1.2 tonne each but because i didnt have any rubber matting when they messured the gap to the edge of trl to the pallet it worked out that i needed 27 twenty seven straps to hold the 8 pallets down
when i then said well they will have to come off as i only had 5 straps left there reply was well " just drive carfully!!"
ps in 3 laybys on the E411 between Lux and brussell trailers and loads being inspected by the police they were pullin trucks off the motorway with their X5’s

There is often a major multi-agency control on the homeward bound Lux / Belgian border where they will pull the curtains and check the load security, if you follow the German rules, the Belgians, French and Lux will be fine. If you don’t have enough straps, dont worry, there is a keen entrepreneur parked in the corner with a van full of securing devices and a DKV machine :stuck_out_tongue:

The company had them in to check a tyre trailer being loaded in Wincanton Germany and they were satisfied they had done everything possible. 4 horizontal boards with 3 vertical boards intertwined per bay in a Euroliner

Wheel Nut:

jessicas dad:
google…

saveaload.com/

allsafe-group.com/

And in the same vein, apparently this thing does something, what did you want again? :stuck_out_tongue:

saveaload.com/sal-video.html

I think they sell chest expanders :wink:

Look at the floor in that trailor, better then alot of floors in peoples houses!!!
The bulk head they offer makes me laugh aswell, they offer a bulk head, no you offer 2 ply sheets that the save a load fits in :unamused: :laughing:

Sorry