Load responsibility

Hello The other day I was asked by a non transport supervisor to load and strap a 7.5 ton vehicle for another driver to pick up the next day I Thought “his load his licence” but was shouted down by the supervisor. The problem here is the driver only works part time and is the son of the works manager and is not by any standards a competent vehicle loader. What can Ido to protect myself here.

Write a note saying you’ve secured the load but driver to check before taking on the road then get it photocopied sign it and try getting a manager to sign it then leave 1 of the copies on the dash and keep the other 1

jossk1990:
Write a note saying you’ve secured the load but driver to check before taking on the road then get it photocopied sign it and try getting a manager to sign it then leave 1 of the copies on the dash and keep the other 1

Don’t do such a stupid thing! No disrespect to you mate but your putting your name to something that you are not responsible for. Anything could happen to that load between you loading it and him driving it or you could miss something. It’s up to the driver to make sure the load is secure, if he doesn’t know it’s about time he learned. Not saying don’t tie it down for him just don’t go signing things that could come back to bite you.

10-08:

jossk1990:

Don’t do such a stupid thing! No disrespect to you mate but your putting your name to something that you are not responsible for. Anything could happen to that load between you loading it and him driving it or you could miss something. It’s up to the driver to make sure the load is secure, if he doesn’t know it’s about time he learned. Not saying don’t tie it down for him just don’t go signing things that could come back to bite you.

^^^ THIS! ^^^^

As an agency driver I regularly take pre-loaded vehicles out on the road, and I ALWAYS check the load security before i go, re-strapping if necessary! I went in one place, jumped on the wagon and NOTHING was strapped on (a curtain sider). as there were no straps on board I asked the supervisor for some straps, only to be told “our normal guys don’t bother, none of it is really going to move and it doesn’t need strapping!”

He soon changed his tune when I rang the agency and asked for it in writing!

Point being, ask for in writing and signed by the “manager” in question, words to the effect of

“jossk1990 has been asked to load and strap vehicles but is no-way responsible for the checking of such loading and restraint systems before the vehicle enters the public highway as the responsibility for this lies by law with the vehicles driver”

If he refuses, then load it but DO NOT strap it!

the place im in ATM loads the trucks, but the strapping and load distribution is completely MY (the driver’s) responsibility!

HTH

B…

I’ve strapped,roped & helped with many a load, but always said to the driver, to check the tension & make sure that the straps are ok.
I personally wouldn’t trust someone else to strap my load without checking it before I drove it.
The driver is ultimately responsible for load security, although the company MUST provide the correct load restraints for the task. I.e. Spansets, chains, sheets & (I believe) ropes (although some people seem to think that ropes are banned now ■■? )

I can’t see anything coming back to you if it did go wrong anyway, the end responsibility is the driver so it’s his problem if it comes loose mate not yours.

Sam Millar:
I can’t see anything coming back to you if it did go wrong anyway, the end responsibility is the driver so it’s his problem if it comes loose mate not yours.

That’s the crux of it, yep. Just do it to shut the gaffer up. If the driver loses it all out of the side then that’s his problem. If he tries to blame you then simply tell him to GTFO as it’s his responsibility to check it as the driver. They can’t do you for it.

vetusursus:
Hello The other day I was asked by a non transport supervisor to load and strap a 7.5 ton vehicle for another driver to pick up the next day I Thought “his load his licence” but was shouted down by the supervisor. The problem here is the driver only works part time and is the son of the works manager and is not by any standards a competent vehicle loader. What can Ido to protect myself here.

Who’s the supervisor Paul Mckenna? Try not to think out loud :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You don’t need to get anything signed. It’s down to the driver to ensure their load is secure before take off :slight_smile:

If he was to get pulled and something was over or not strapped then they would do him not you