Load responsibility.

Let’s say you are designated a trailer which has been preloaded and sealed with a security tab. As a driver who is responsible for the safety of everything…how do you know it has been loaded safely? If it turns out it has been stupidly top heavy and god forbid turns over somewhere on route, could the driver say “how was I supposed to know? it was sealed when I picked it up” or (as always seems to be the case) is all the blame on the poor sod at the scene?
Just some background, I am a c+e holder of many years who hasn’t driven since test day. Loking to get behind the wheel soon.

I would say nothing can’t stop a driver checking his load before he goes on the highway. Locks and seals are company procedures only and systems should be in place where a seal can be broken, check load then re-seal.

This is the firm who I work for policy anyway.

You tell em to ■■■■ off and if you cant have a look dont take it.No good ■■■■■■■ when your looking at a 5 year stretch for killing a mother and 2 kids in a flat fiat panda.Some tow rag in a traffic office aint going to drive it and sure as hell he wont be seeing the inside of strangways either.

i totally agree at the end of the day its your responsibility,if its goes pear shape i dont think “it was sealed will work”

chester:
I would say nothing can’t stop a driver checking his load before he goes on the highway. Locks and seals are company procedures only and systems should be in place where a seal can be broken, check load then re-seal.

This is the firm who I work for policy anyway.

It is most certainly your responsibility mate for the security of the load,I have dealt with numerous rollovers whereby the driver has stated exactly,what you have said,but the ■■■■ rests with you as the driver is the one who takes it onto public roads,not the loader.
Tell your boss break the seal then reseal it again when you are happy that it is loaded correctly and secured after all you dont know what the load will do when negotiating even the smallest of turns. I know it is hard if you want to make a good impression for the first time,but think if you do tip it over,it won’t matter as you wont be there for long anyway.

I like your style bking.
But what about fridge trailers and others being load from the rear. How is the driver supposed to know how it was loaded…apart from the rearmost row that you can see from the doors?

BillyMac:
I like your style bking.
But what about fridge trailer and others being load from the rear. How is the driver supposed to know how it was loaded…apart from the rearmost row that you can see from the doors?

Climb in and have a look thats what being a truck driver is all about.Knowing your job and keeping you and those around you safe (and out of jail or a coffin)

BillyMac:
I like your style bking.
But what about fridge trailers and others being load from the rear. How is the driver supposed to know how it was loaded…apart from the rearmost row that you can see from the doors?

Get up and check it or ask where they have put the bars etc … Sains bugs used to bar or strap every 9 cages.

This is a regular problem on containers, you collect a laden import but you cannot break the seal to see how it’s loaded

BillyMac:
I like your style bking.

Same goes for containers check before the doors are shut and sealed. if you aint happy don’t move it…I’ve had cars loaded in containers with a full tant of fuel and battery still in place and not even strapped down :unamused:

What everyone is saying is right, but certainly with supermarket/retail work in general it is pretty common practise for wagons to be pre-sealed and you dont see many drivers messing about asking to be resealed etc. Obviously if its wrapped pallets on a single deck box van its not a big deal, but with cages you just have to keep a keen ear out at the start of your journey for movement in the back and take it slow.

stringy:
This is a regular problem on containers, you collect a laden import but you cannot break the seal to see how it’s loaded

you can ask customs to do it they will reseal and mark your paperwork as such. had one that every time I stopped and pulled away there was a banging, saw someone about it and there was paper rolls on pallets but one had broken away from its strapping making other strapping break the whole lot was moving around…they stripped out and re packed. so anyone that says you cant YOU CAN but need good reason to do so.

stringy:

If your not happy with the way a box sits you go to the customs shed and tell them you want the box opening to check the load and then a reseal.They refuse call plod.Nobody deserves to die for the price of a poxy customs tag and a bit of paper.

Bking:

stringy:

If your not happy with the way a box sits you go to the customs shed and tell them you want the box opening to check the load and then a reseal.They refuse call plod.Nobody deserves to die for the price of a poxy customs tag and a bit of paper.

Eeeeerrr Bking that’s twice now :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

nick2008:

Bking:

stringy:

Eeeeerrr Bking that’s twice now :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Me talkin sense Away wi ya man!

once it has cleared customs you can take the seal off. it is your responsibility, not your bosses, planners, customers. just yours.

Wincanton run Argos transport at Castleford. I Did an inductionthere but never had any work from Transline at the site. Their policy is that a trailer is sealed before it leaves a bay and no way no how does the driver get to break the seal. I argued the clear points made above about a driver turning over a vehicle and killing a mother and child and using the argument that the load was sealed by the depot and that the driver not being allowed to check the load as not being a valid defence in court.
Sadly it fell on deaf ears with Wincanton so I was kind of releaved not to work for them to be honest.

Know a driver a good ten years ago
Picked up a sealed curtain in yard other driver who loaded it said all stapped and secured

50 miles up mway came off junc round roundabout and 20ton of steel out the side on the road
Turns out only 2 straps on load broke straps straight through curtain
(didnt tip lorry over)
Luckily noone by side at time so just onto road
He went to court was fined alot cant remember how much
And 6 or 9 points on his licence for insecure load etc

Driver who loaded it no problem

So yes your responibility as soon as you take it out on the road

mick.mh2racing:
Wincanton run Argos transport at Castleford. I Did an inductionthere but never had any work from Transline at the site. Their policy is that a trailer is sealed before it leaves a bay and no way no how does the driver get to break the seal. I argued the clear points made above about a driver turning over a vehicle and killing a mother and child and using the argument that the load was sealed by the depot and that the driver not being allowed to check the load as not being a valid defence in court.
Sadly it fell on deaf ears with Wincanton so I was kind of releaved not to work for them to be honest.

you argued the toss■■?
if you want to check it, you check it.

mick.mh2racing:

All Bollox!! Tesco say the same but I many many times at Lichfield,Goole and Thurrock had the seal broken to check the load! And twice the trailer had to be tipped and reloaded! :laughing: