Load bearing curtains.

If the curtains on XL rated trailers are load bearing, why are they supplied with internal straps?

the nodding donkey:
If the curtains on XL rated trailers are load bearing, why are they supplied with internal straps?

because stobrats :grimacing: can put the stickers on after the fact. :sunglasses: that is all. :laughing:

Ours are load bearing but they don’t have internals.

Read the rules on XL curtains and look at every different type of load carried.

Case closed.

There are various restrictions on xl trailers inc that the curtains will only withstand 50% of the rated load weight and the trailer has to be pretty much full, with limited room between the curtains and load.

Plus its no good if the load falls over onto the curtains and you have to unload it as it’ll fall out thevside of the truck as soon as you open said curtains.

Full DVSA blurb on restrictions:
gov.uk/government/publicati … -xl-rating

To stop the load going backwards

So you can pull yourself up into the trailer from 11 or 12 different places down each side of the trailer . :smiley:
To annoy the warehouse staff who have to tip the load out through the back doors :smiling_imp:
To hold the roof down on a stormy day .
To hold your back dors open when you have broken the wire rope with the clip on it .

My old boss said Lawrence Davids salesman told him the curtains are only any good if the load is a square 26 pallets. If there’s any floor space, legislation says the load has to be secured

It’s so that when you can’t be arsed using the internals, you then shut your back doors and fail to notice one hanging out to alert the DVSA gestapo :wink:

For XL the load must be a positive fit front to back and no more than 80mm gap between load and curtain.

So, any gaps in the load must be filled up the load restrained.

I would suggest internal straps would be used to contain items and help keep the load more stable. They are t part of the CL standard (normally)

Trailers and vehicles built to the EN 12642 XL standard can withstand a minimum of 40% of the rated payload to the side - without extra load securing - when following the manufacturer’s guidance.

DVSA accept an EN 12642 XL rated vehicle/trailer keeping 50% of the rated payload to the side without any extra securing, as long as the load fills the entire load area to the front, rear and to within 80mm of the side. This is often called a ‘positive fit’.

It’s acceptable to fit lateral bulkheads or use packing material to fill any gaps in the load to guarantee positive fit when loading.

Using XL rated vehicles to transport diminishing or part loads isn’t ideal but it’s still possible as long as the following are met:-

any gaps created by a diminishing load are blocked keeping a positive fit
a partial load which doesn’t fill the load area has extra securing - this should be enough to meet the DfT rules: 50% to the side, rear and 100% to the front
For example, the use of rated lashing straps across the rear of the load must provide security for 50% of the entire load. This will secure the load in the same way as the rear of the vehicle would for a full load.

Or, the load should be secured as it would in a non-‘XL’ rated vehicle.

Captain Caveman 76:
Trailers and vehicles built to the EN 12642 XL standard can withstand a minimum of 40% of the rated payload to the side - without extra load securing - when following the manufacturer’s guidance.

DVSA accept an EN 12642 XL rated vehicle/trailer keeping 50% of the rated payload to the side without any extra securing, as long as the load fills the entire load area to the front, rear and to within 80mm of the side. This is often called a ‘positive fit’.

It’s acceptable to fit lateral bulkheads or use packing material to fill any gaps in the load to guarantee positive fit when loading.

Using XL rated vehicles to transport diminishing or part loads isn’t ideal but it’s still possible as long as the following are met:-

any gaps created by a diminishing load are blocked keeping a positive fit
a partial load which doesn’t fill the load area has extra securing - this should be enough to meet the DfT rules: 50% to the side, rear and 100% to the front
For example, the use of rated lashing straps across the rear of the load must provide security for 50% of the entire load. This will secure the load in the same way as the rear of the vehicle would for a full load.

Or, the load should be secured as it would in a non-‘XL’ rated vehicle.

Yep, when I’ve finished stacking these beans, I need to check the out of date dairy products! :laughing:

the nodding donkey:

Sometimes words truly fail me and I bet you’re also one of those who say the DCPC is a waste of time too. They’re not rigid curtains so a pallet can still fall over, its just that the curtains will keep it within the trailer a lot better than non-XL ones will. The internal straps are to use to hold the load in place and if they’re not sufficient then you use ratchet straps.

the nodding donkey:

Momentum inertia

OVLOV JAY:
My old boss said Lawrence Davids salesman told him the curtains are only any good if the load is a square 26 pallets. If there’s any floor space, legislation says the load has to be secured

This is true, but to be honest i’d dispute it.

Even with 26 pallet loads, you still have more than 80mm between the load & the back door so have to apply straps to the rear pallets. I don’t see what the difference would be if you had, say, 20 pallets with the back two strapped. :question: Surely, so long as the load can’t move forward and backwards and there is less than 80mm between the load & the curtains, there shouldn’t be a problem. I certainly apply this logic to my day to day work without any concern my load is insecure.

If i’m doing multidrop & start with 26 pallets & then have 6 pallets tipped at the first drop it’s a nonsense to suggest than the remaining 20 pallets suddenly go from needing no restraint to me having to strap everyone. Just strap the back two.

Little point in them imo. Any trailer with a positive fit load is as good and if cargo could fall/tip sideways youre going to have to strap it anyway, the curtains are only rated 50%.
Old school but the reason i like tilts,tough as old boots, sling most things on, no need for straps and it all stays there…

On Swifts I spent years pulling 15’6" or 16’3" tautliners loaded with double pallets of Rockware Glass and for a short time on Beck & Pollitzer in 1994 pulling pallets of beer, I never ever used interior straps and lost nothing. Ocasionally I did put a strap across the front and back of the load, that’s all.
By the way, Beck & Pollitzer was a terrible company, they paid disgustingly low wages … Well after 6 years on Fed Ex they did anywy LOL. I walked out on them and started at Tesco :slight_smile:

I picked up beer bottles from Knottingly last week. Was given written instructions that the back set had to be secured with empty pallets and straps. It said nothing about the rest of it.

AndrewG:
Little point in them imo. Any trailer with a positive fit load is as good and if cargo could fall/tip sideways youre going to have to strap it anyway, the curtains are only rated 50%.
Old school but the reason i like tilts,tough as old boots, sling most things on, no need for straps and it all stays there…

I’m pretty sure straps are only meant to support 50% :question:

Main improvement on the XL trailers is the strength of the trailers structure. The problem with old trailers was highlighted a few months ago when a K&N trailer took a bend too fast off the M56 and the trailers roof completely collapsed under the weight of the load going against the curtain, meaning the load ■■■■■■ out all over the verge. Wouldn’t happen on an XL trailer.

rob22888:

AndrewG:

I’m pretty sure straps are only meant to support 50% :question:

Main improvement on the XL trailers is the strength of the trailers structure. The problem with old trailers was highlighted a few months ago when a K&N trailer took a bend too fast off the M56 and the trailers roof completely collapsed under the weight of the load going against the curtain, meaning the load ■■■■■■ out all over the verge. Wouldn’t happen on an XL trailer.

We had all our trailers upgraded to XL rating. They reinforced the front bulkhead, backdoors, roof and chassis along with the curtains. Not sure how much weight all that added to the trailer mind.