Load bearing curtain, 100 pound fine

You were unlucky to get pulled by a copper. The load, I don’t think anyone here would have strapped every pallet if it was a load bearing curtain, and the fact he didn’t take that further probably means he knew you were right but didn’t want to admit it.

As for the infringements? Why? You say there are quite a few. Is that just you always pushing it or not planning properly or is it your company putting pressure on? Either way you need to get a grip and sort that out. A few mins over every now and again isn’t really an issue but an hour over? Come on!

Rowley010:
You were unlucky to get pulled by a copper. The load, I don’t think anyone here would have strapped every pallet if it was a load bearing curtain, and the fact he didn’t take that further probably means he knew you were right but didn’t want to admit it.

As for the infringements? Why? You say there are quite a few. Is that just you always pushing it or not planning properly or is it your company putting pressure on? Either way you need to get a grip and sort that out. A few mins over every now and again isn’t really an issue but an hour over? Come on!

As I said mate, we ALL know you get done if you don’t strap up…end of.
I think I know who that motor belongs to, and afaik they are paid per hour, and if that is so, what is the problem with strapping up for 40 or so minutes??

I reckon even if he had strapped every other pallet, the copper would have let it go, then at least he had made some attempt to secure it.

As for being pushed and pressurised ?
Well if that is the case, if the driver is daft enough to let them do that to him, he only has himself to blame when things go ■■■■ up because of it.
He can ot think much of his licence, that’s all I can say.

If it had been me loading that lot, I’d have either X-strapped every 2nd pallet thru the block using the internal straps as I’d do with glass/bottles, or used the internals down the sides

discoman:
Well, the driver deserves to lose his licence idiot.

An hour over his 4.30, hardly crime of the century is it, alot of over the top reactions on here. The Poster wont be invited to a meeting with the tc nor will he be losing his license, nor was he a danger to society deer god almity.

Butcher:

robroy:
Btw, Not entirely convinced that you aint taking the ■■■■ on this post. :bulb:

• One!

No it ain’t a fake post lads. If it is who I think it is its on the West Yorkshire Police RPU Twitter feed. A pic of the curtains open and pallets double stacked with what looks like paint pots and them saying driver been fined for load not secured and driving hours offences.

peirre:
If it had been me loading that lot, I’d have either X-strapped every 2nd pallet thru the block using the internal straps as I’d do with glass/bottles, or used the internals down the sides

How would you strap pallets of drinks/water. Obviously not double stacked. I’ve seen some do it just an internal on the side of every pallet then X at the back. And I’ve seen some do X strap every other one all the way down, then a ■■■■■■■■ the side of all the others that aren’t X Strapped.

peirre:

That’s what we do with the glass loads Peirre but if you think about it they could do you for not having a secure load doing it that way. 2 internal straps crossed through the top pallets every 2 is not sufficient load security for every 8 pallets (4 pallets double stacked each side) considering DVSA guide lines stipulates that an internal strap is only sufficient to secure a pallet up to either 500 or 600kgs I’ve forgot which.

TheYoungTrucker:

discoman:

An hour over his 4.30, hardly crime of the century is it, alot of over the top reactions on here. The Poster wont be invited to a meeting with the tc nor will he be losing his license, nor was he a danger to society deer god almity.

It’s not, but he’s said he’s got a fair few infringements on his card which means he either doesn’t care, doesn’t fully understand the drivers hours rules, or he’s working for a company who pressurise the drivers into running over time, in which case he needs to tell em he won’t do it, or quit.

They’ve reported you…you won’t of heard the last of it,guarantee that.

Rowley010:

peirre:

How would you strap pallets of drinks/water. Obviously not double stacked. I’ve seen some do it just an internal on the side of every pallet then X at the back. And I’ve seen some do X strap every other one all the way down, then a ■■■■■■■■ the side of all the others that aren’t X Strapped.

Do bottled water all the time,internals all the time, unless the previous numbnut who used the trailer has left them in the head board, the its a ratchet across the back and take your time. Water is strapped with an internal down the side plus a x on the back and if they are straps that run near the edge of the trailer one straight down the back aswell. As long as the back is secured properly they wont move, unless the producer is being greedy and putting that much weight on the pallet that the bottom bottles collapse,which they do, quite often.

dowahdiddyman:

Rowley010:

peirre:

Do bottled water all the time,internals all the time, unless the previous numbnut who used the trailer has left them in the head board, the its a ratchet across the back and take your time. Water is strapped with an internal down the side plus a x on the back and if they are straps that run near the edge of the trailer one straight down the back aswell. As long as the back is secured properly they wont move, unless the producer is being greedy and putting that much weight on the pallet that the bottom bottles collapse,which they do, quite often.

sounds like nestle waters at buxton

Rowley010:
How would you strap pallets of drinks/water. Obviously not double stacked.

In that scenario if there’s enough height I’d be tempted to consider using a slave pallet upside down on top of the product, and thread a ratchet strap through to hold the product on place. Likewise with glass bottle compression packs which aren’t shrink wrapped, in addition to the internals I’d put a couple of slave pallets stood upright at the back of the load and use a long strap threaded through the top of the pallets, and hook them to the chassis near the middle of the trailer to pull the load towards the front

Postby TheYoungTrucker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:04 pm
discoman wrote:

Your username explains your naivety.

TheYoungTrucker:

discoman:

Fatigue, plays apart, the driver if not a troll, admits to doing this regularly. … if he had of hit a car and wiped out a family then would you say the same?. No excuse at all. (Obviously stuck in tail back of road closures etc is completely different).

ryan011284:
Today I got pulled by the police m1 Woolley edge services, random stop check driving hours and load safety. I’ve not got the cleanest driving card, to be honest it’s really bad. Took my card out and gave him he put in a small machine out of pocket, a few things came up, I thought ffs. After that on to load, open curtains I’ve put 2 straps across the back, full load arctic empty plastic paint tubs double stacked pallets. he said that’s not good is it, I didn’t know wat to say, I mentioned load bearing curtain and he wasn’t really having it, you could lift these pallets on your own, not heavy. After a discussion I used the internals while he sat in car, came back at the end and gave me a 100 pound fine for driving 5.30 hours without a break, he said I’m going to do you for your latest infringement, Wich there is a lot, less than 9 hours off and not enough breaks and driving for two long etc, am I lucky or what, I’ve already paid incase they change there mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Are you pushed too hard? Are you stupid? Don’t you care? There are plenty of threads on here which discuss the aftermath of when things go wrong, and they don’t normally favour the driver. Why put yourself, others and your license at risk?

I’ll be honest, I don’t like the idea that I’m sharing the roads with people like you.

Maybe I’m missing something important here, but if you’re using an XL trailer, and have positive fit (as you with pallets of drink) why would you need to put internals down the sides of it? At 400kgs each, they aren’t strong enough to retain 50% of the approximately 1.5-2T on a row of 2 pallets anyway.

slowlane:
Maybe I’m missing something important here, but if you’re using an XL trailer, and have positive fit (as you with pallets of drink) why would you need to put internals down the sides of it? At 400kgs each, they aren’t strong enough to retain 50% of the approximately 1.5-2T on a row of 2 pallets anyway.

The post relates to “load bearing curtains” & I’ve seen a few trailers with the curtains bearing the XL label but that’s not worth anything if the full structure isn’t XL rated, our 2015 SDC curtainsiders have the label on both sides of the chassis and the bulk head.

Watch out in Liverpool dock’s guys. The Port Police have a couple of coppers with hand held tacho card analysers and love to use them, they also get a bit carried away over load restraint too which is really rich in that I’ve been doing this a long time and they did a class on it and think they know better than me?

bigr250:

slowlane:

The post relates to “load bearing curtains” & I’ve seen a few trailers with the curtains bearing the XL label but that’s not worth anything if the full structure isn’t XL rated, our 2015 SDC curtainsiders have the label on both sides of the chassis and the bulk head.

Watch out in Liverpool dock’s guys. The Port Police have a couple of coppers with hand held tacho card analysers and love to use them, they also get a bit carried away over load restraint too which is really rich in that I’ve been doing this a long time and they did a class on it and think they know better than me?

We have a load bearing certificate on the front of our trailers. We’re told the trailers will lose their XL status if they’re removed!!

I was just thinking about this. What’s the point in the load bearing curtain if the authorities don’t accept it as restraint if used correctly?

mrginge:

ryan011284:
Today I got pulled by the police m1 Woolley edge services, random stop check driving hours and load safety.

I’ve not got the cleanest driving card, to be honest it’s really bad.

After a discussion I used the internals while he sat in car, came back at the end and gave me a 100 pound fine for driving 5.30 hours without a break, he said I’m going to do you for your latest infringement, Wich there is a lot, less than 9 hours off and not enough breaks and driving for two long etc, am I lucky or what, I’ve already paid incase they change there mind

I’m like robroy and assume this is a ■■■■ take. Who gets pulled by the police when in a truck for a random check?