Load advice.

I’m new so be gentle lol. So I was after some advice about arranging loads. Driving 18t curtainside, collect and deliver finished metal components for auto industry etc. Some of these are pallets weighing 300 to 400 kg and some in metal bins weighing 900kg. Today for example I picked up 4 900kg bins and placed them over the back axle and strapped em down (side to side). Then put the pallets at the headboard. Obviously this isn’t ideal as leaves space for bins to potentially move forward ( although they don’t as so heavy and strapped so tight). But I feel if did bins at headboard then pallets directly behind it would overload front axle. Seems like a lose lose?

If you’re concerned about forward or backward movement,you could always rap a strap around the front and back.

These steel coils weighed approx 12t each…so obviously couldn’t be butted up against the headboard.

Same here,with packs of timber

Cross strap the bins at the front or putting something else infront and strapping is classed as a headboard. (According my trainer).

We have pressure ibc’s to carry, they sit on the rear axles of a 26t rigid and are top heavy, I always strap over the top with the nets and then put rachet straps front and rear.

commonrail:
If you’re concerned about forward or backward movement,you could always rap a strap around the front and back.

These steel coils weighed approx 12t each…so obviously couldn’t be butted up against the headboard.

nicley strapped and looks secure but the bad news is if you got stopped the weasel man from dvsa would issue a prohibition and a fine for an insecure load, they would say that there should either be a false headboard or dunnage taking the space to prevent the load moving in transit, a load of bollox i know but that is where the law stands

scotstrucker:

commonrail:

nicley strapped and looks secure but the bad news is if you got stopped the weasel man from dvsa would issue a prohibition and a fine for an insecure load, they would say that there should either be a false headboard or dunnage taking the space to prevent the load moving in transit, a load of bollox i know but that is where the law stands

WRONG,
DVSA say on their website that if the load cannot be against the headboard, then think of other ways to stop it moving forward like EXTRA LASHINGS (as is the case here) or chocks or blocking

The steel coils have been secured as well as possible given the equipment available. That doesn’t mean to say that the equipment provided is suitable for the job. The customer should pay for the right equipment, which would be a coil carrier with bolsters. But they don’t want to and never will until the consignee becomes legally responsible for the safe loading of vehicles.

This is the tata way of doing it.
You won’t be allowed off site,until their health and safety bod,has signed you off.
Although this was about 8 years ago.

Use as many straps as you think are necessary to secure the load . Boss tried to tell me that 6 or 7 straps a trailer would be more than enough when we started pulling curtansiders ( we had only worked with tanks and fridges before this ). I politely laughed at him and told him that 15 ratchet straps per trailer would/should be a minimum. We have just started doing work were its a requirement to have 20 straps and 40 corner proctector pieces per load .

shullbit:

scotstrucker:

commonrail:

WRONG,
DVSA say on their website that if the load cannot be against the headboard, then think of other ways to stop it moving forward like EXTRA LASHINGS (as is the case here) or chocks or blocking

well thats what my workmate was told 3 months ago at leatherhead, he even told the dvsa what you just said and he was told that in the view of the officer the load was insecure even though he had crossed the front of the steel piling with 6 straps (only 10t in total in 20 ft lengths and 6 straps over the top), he still had to get dunnage to put in the 7 ft between the piling and the headboard before being allowed to carry on.

commonrail:

Nothing wrong with that load .
Most problems are caused by teararses who can’t / won’t drive with care and consideration towards other road users . I’d happily take that anywhere . In a lot of our work one person loads the load and another tips it . I always load any trailer with more thans whats needed to give a good saftey margin - always assume an idiot will be doing their best to foil your plans

There appear to have been plenty of straps holding these two coils in place:

youtube.com/watch?v=jeCoyFOUGn8&t=0s

youtube.com/watch?v=6UJxKHLeK88&t=11s

Oh,you’ll knock em off…if you hit them hard enough.

No dunnage here,but free from the possibility of a fine for unsecured load.
Still make a mess if you tip it over,though

scotstrucker:

shullbit:

scotstrucker:

commonrail:

WRONG,

well thats what my workmate was told 3 months ago at leatherhead, he even told the dvsa what you just said and he was told that in the view of the officer the load was insecure even though he had crossed the front of the steel piling with 6 straps (only 10t in total in 20 ft lengths and 6 straps over the top), he still had to get dunnage to put in the 7 ft between the piling and the headboard before being allowed to carry on.

I remember this happening.

Dunnage?

20170915_102309.jpg
East Midlands gateway.
You wouldn’t want one on the back of your head

20171201_080331.jpg

Loved that little cf.
Tough as ■■■■

cav551:
There appear to have been plenty of straps holding these two coils in place:

youtube.com/watch?v=jeCoyFOUGn8&t=0s

youtube.com/watch?v=6UJxKHLeK88&t=11s