Living with Diabetes on the road

Hi All

I have type 2 diabetes and find it difficult to keep my blood sugars under control whilst tramping on the road. I have never had a hypo rather my sugars are too high. Does anyone else suffer this problem and anyone have a regime they follow that works to keep them stable. Stop eating sweets and go for a jog while waiting to tip are not the answers I’m looking for thanks :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I get confused between type one and two. why does type 1 stop you driving trucks.

Cronus:
Hi All

I have type 2 diabetes and find it difficult to keep my blood sugars under control whilst tramping on the road. I have never had a hypo rather my sugars are too high. Does anyone else suffer this problem and anyone have a regime they follow that works to keep them stable. Stop eating sweets and go for a jog while waiting to tip are not the answers I’m looking for thanks :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ive got Diabetes , to help myself, i changed my regime totally , to stop eating crap and being tempted to eat crap food , i went onto night’s stopped tramping and now take pack up to work

Cruise Control:
I get confused between type one and two. why does type 1 stop you driving trucks.

Type 1 diabetes can give you a hypo attack when your blood sugar is low. Which can lead to convulsions and fits. This can come on very suddenly so driving a 44ton Missile is not a good occupation for a type 1 diabetic.
Type 2 diabetes don’t have attacks as such. They just get the shakes and a slightly drunk feeling when the blood sugar is high. Eating can bring that down again.

Type one diabetics have low blood sugar,
Type two have high blood sugar.

When a type one diabetic has a hypo, give them a can of coke and force them to drink it. Pour it into their mouths if you have to. They will thank you for it after.

Basically we all eat carbohydrates which break down into glucose in your bloodstream and travels throughout your body.

Think of glucose as a fuel for your body… that fuel has to enter your organs and muscles in order to give you energy and live life. Insulin (produced in your pancreas) releases into the bloodstream and acts as a key to unlock your organs to let the blood glucose enter your organs which gives you the energy you need. All this is done automatically in a non diabetic person and maintains the blood glucose at a constant safe figure. No problems.

Diabetic people have the problem producing insulin needed to get that glucose into the organs.

Type 1 diabetics have pancreas’ that produce no insulin at all and rely solely on insulin injections to manually control their blood glucose.

Type 2 diabetics have pancreas’ that do not produce enough insulin or it is not as effective at unlocking the organs. Some use just diet alone to maintain safe glucose level or tablets which can kickstart the pancreas or make the organs more receptive. in time they may have to go onto insulin too as this is a degenerative disease

The main thing though is that diabetics have to manually control their blood glucose… too high blood glucose travelling throughout your body will damage your organs in the long term… eyes, feet, nerves etc … too low will give you hypos

Cronus:
Hi All

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago, been tramping for the best part of 30 years the only thing I can tell you is try to keep to a healthy diet, fresh fruit ,veg ,rice, brown bread keep away from fried food, I know its not easy but try to get as much exercise as possible. When tipping try to find out how long you will be there and if possible go for a walk. I also stay off the beer while i’m away. I know all this is easier said than done, but I stick to this regime and 4 years after being diagnosed I am still diet controlled the longer you can stay off medication the better hope this helps.

Clunk:
Type one diabetics have low blood sugar,
Type two have high blood sugar.

When a type one diabetic has a hypo, give them a can of coke and force them to drink it. Pour it into their mouths if you have to. They will thank you for it after.

Wrong: Type 1 Diabetics have high blood sugar too. It is the adminstration of too much insulin that will cause a hypo. A hypo(Hypoglycemia) causes the Diabetic to go unconcious.

Eating does not bring sugar levels down…it raises the sugar level. The only way to bring sugar levels down is by Insulin, produced by the Pancreas or tablets…or by injecting Insulin.

Do not give a Diabetic a can of coke or any drink, or a drink to any unconcious person. A glucose gel is what is used or an injection to bring the person back to concious. You call a Paramedic unless you know what you are doing.

Clunk:
Type 2 diabetes don’t have attacks as such. They just get the shakes and a slightly drunk feeling when the blood sugar is high. Eating can bring that down again.

Oh oh, think I’d better see the doc then :open_mouth:
Seriously that’s happened a lot lately :open_mouth:

Stay away from Fruits as Fruit Sugar goes straight into Blood
Think that Cholesterol Product has no Sugar
*all Milk Products like
Yogurt,Cottage Cheese
*White Meat like
Chicken and Turkey Breast
Fish
*Vegetable,but not Potato

• Walking keeps you fit! Im going for a few Weeks to California +15 to +20 degree Celsius in January,and dry. Ideal for walking.Seeing old Historical sites
    =Fruits have lots of Sugar.especially grapes,…Well,just any

So which one loses you your licence straight away?

thelorryist:

Type 1. Because your blood sugar level can change very quickly and an attack can occur before you realize.
With Type 2, because there is some natural insulin production the changes aren’t so sudden.

mfm:
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago, been tramping for the best part of 30 years the only thing I can tell you is try to keep to a healthy diet, fresh fruit ,veg ,rice, brown bread keep away from fried food, I know its not easy but try to get as much exercise as possible. When tipping try to find out how long you will be there and if possible go for a walk. I also stay off the beer while i’m away. I know all this is easier said than done, but I stick to this regime and 4 years after being diagnosed I am still diet controlled the longer you can stay off medication the better hope this helps.

Very sensible advice mfm i have been diagnosed 7 yrs and now on tablets and liraglutide injection once a day. The sedentary nature of our job means willpower needs to be strong to avoid falling into the trap of snacking on convenience foods during those hours behind the wheel. Live like a monk my doctor advises :open_mouth:

Immigrant:
Stay away from Fruits as Fruit Sugar goes straight into Blood
Think that Cholesterol Product has no Sugar
*all Milk Products like
Yogurt,Cottage Cheese
*White Meat like
Chicken and Turkey Breast
Fish
*Vegetable,but not Potato

• Walking keeps you fit! Im going for a few Weeks to California +15 to +20 degree Celsius in January,and dry. Ideal for walking.Seeing old Historical sites
    =Fruits have lots of Sugar.especially grapes,…Well,just any

As a diabetic you don’t have to stay away from fruits or fruit juices and you don’t have to avoid milk products either. I use diet sheets provided by Diabetes UK ,you have to be sensible and choose fruits with a low glycemic index blueberries are very good they are also an antioxidant, white meat is also part of my diet chicken without the skin is more than ok for any diabetic. If your not sure what you can or can’t have as part of your diet Diabetes UK provide diet sheets free of charge but as all diabetics know moderation is the key.

Was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes about 16 yrs ago control it Diat only and still do, was about 14 and a half Stone cut out all Dairy Products went on to Soya Milk stopped all Sweets and was careful to watch the Ingredients of everything for Sugar content on the Label if it is at the Top the more Sugar there is the further down the less there is,stopped eating Fruit as it is the worst Sugar, Pastry, White Bread,Potatoes,Pasta,the Doc at the time told me i would never need Sugar at anytime as there is enough in Carbohydrates in everyday Foods that turn into Sugar,I lost 2 Stone and still 12 and a half Stone Today, I know it is not nessesary to cut out Dairy Products but it sure helps to lose weight and good for the Prostrate in later Years,after 16 Years when i go for my check up still get good results,3 Months overall for the last Blood Sugar Level check was 6.

Ben.

thelorryist:

none, type 1 drivers are now allowed aslong as they can pass tests too show they are in control of it

type 2 mostly not but depending on what medication you get they might take it off you (i’m type 2 but an controlled by diet

Recommended site,

www.diabetes.org.uk/

Cronus:
Hi All

Cook at Home and take Food with you.You not getting anywhere any Diet.
Finger from Fruits and Diet Drinks. Just stick on handwarm Still Water,Carrots,Cauliflower (eat raw or steamed),Iceberg Lettuce plain,Mushrooms raw and Plain,"Sauerkraut raw!, subdude-site.com/WebPages_Lo … tables.htm

My son and his mother (we’re divorced) are both type 1
My grandfather, father, uncle and brother were/are all type 2.
I am also type 2 controlled by diet.

I reduced my HBA1C from 13.6 on diagnosis to 5.7 in 12 weeks. (Below 6 is technically not diabetic, but my previous score counts!)

Cut down on simple carbohydrates, replace (where necessary) with more complex (higher GI) options or none at all.
Cut out sugars and beer - DRY white wine or spirits contain less carb. but alcohol aids the conversion of carbs to unhealthy fat despite lowering blood glucose (temporarily).
Quite a lot of veg contains more carbs than you realise - you can’t actually eat as much veg as you want.
Fructose does not require insulin to be absorbed and used by the body.
LOSE WEIGHT AND EXERCISE - Lower weight = better control.

According to quite a few medical professionals I have spoken to, a lot of type 2 diabetics do not need medication, just a change of diet and lifestyle.

I am a truck driver, not a doctor!!! However, the above is advice I have been given by medical professionals.

Cronus:
Hi All

Had the same Problem.
First i changed Agency,then how i take Medication and last Food&Drinks

Had 2x2 Metformin a day and changed it to 4x1
Every Day at Home and no Food from Machine or Restaurant
Eating No bread,No Potatoes,No reis,No pasta but lots of Veggy and Fish and Meat. (Protein has no Sugar),served with Porridge or Backed Beans.
DErink Milk in Pub! Explained it and get a Pint for £1.-
My Bloodsugar is now donw to 6 to 6.5 after Doctor offered Insulin if i get it not right.

I also started playing Drums. Can be done in Garage and you use Feed and hands during seating. Check out Drumsence.co.uk or so. That Weekend is a Drum-Show at Olympia in London.