Livestock work...

What’s that all about?

Always wondered what it really entails?

Don’t think I could do it…but just curious as to how it is done.

DonutUK:
What’s that all about?

Always wondered what it really entails?

Don’t think I could do it…but just curious as to how it is done.

What exactly are you asking :question:

Use a trailer that is designed for purpose. Add bedding. Load animals. Move between farm/Auction/Slaughter plant. Unload. Clean out. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Don’t have to use tachos all done by log book, or is that if you just have livestock on board? Driver has a responsibility for the welfare of the animals also.

Maybe DennisF could fill us all in

mickyblue:
Maybe DennisF could fill us all in

Aye ,…Denis F is the right man for knowing all the current - and complicated - regulations.
He`ll give you the full facts , - and no B.S. either . :unamused: :laughing:

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Angela:
Use a trailer that is designed for purpose. Add bedding. Load animals. Move between farm/Auction/Slaughter plant. Unload. Clean out. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: :wink: :wink:

that pretty well sums it up :wink:

and it’s on Tacho’s

there are also lots of extra rules concerning journey times, and lots of certificates

gov.uk/farm-animal-welfare- … sportation

Is it a good job?

I would imagine cleaning the trailer is a major ball ache?

Not sure i could deal with taking animals to slaughter…must be hard to get used to.

did 7hrs cpc on live stock a couple of weeks ago, was taken by the guy that wrote the book on the subject “eddie harper” now I have only once moved livestock many moons ago and wouldn’t want to do it now, the rules they have to abide by are massive and complex. it was just a case of 7 hrs extra towards my 35. you could get ■■■■ on from a great height if you get it wrong and that not just the animals. even things like the angle of the tailboard is different when loading different animals, hats off to the guys that do it :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

If you are serious about doing this then first get a job on a livestock farm and get used to dealing with large farm animals.

They are much easier to handle in fields and barns then they are to get in and out of lorries!

Cattle are huge and heavy, pigs bite and sheep have a sense of humour, which is usually at your expense! They sometimes decide to die for no reason.

You’ve got loads of regs to master, and endless opportunities to get things wrong.

You have to drive smoother than a very smooth thing too, while minimising journey times as much as possible!

And any mishap will see you on the news.

No pressure!

Many years ago an old livestock haulier told me “It is much easier to teach a stockman to drive a wagon than to teach a driver to handle stock”

He was right :wink:

I’m not interested in actually doing it…happy with tippers…just curious about it.

Sounds like it is every bit as much of a ball ache as it looks!

Hats off to the livestock drivers…

DonutUK:
I’m not interested in actually doing it…happy with tippers…just curious about it.

Sounds like it is every bit as much of a ball ache as it looks!

Hats off to the livestock drivers…

It’s not all bad :wink: it’s a job that involves more challenges and use of initiative than some driving jobs , there’s no RDC’s in sight and there’s still some camaraderie around.

And of course, you’re going to get covered in crap :grimacing:

Denis F:
Many years ago an old livestock haulier told me “It is much easier to teach a stockman to drive a wagon than to teach a driver to handle stock”

That wasn’t Mr Partridge from Devon was it?

Had one of the first F16s in the country. Dark green with stripes, and a whole 470 hp. Seemed like a lot of power then.

Denis F:

That is the answer I got when I asked a bloke how much different carrying live cows was from carrying dead ones.

I might add, it was nothing like as politely put… :laughing:

It must be one of the dirtiest jobs in haulage but yet most of the trucks are some of the most looked after. Very rare you see a shabby looking unit pulling livestock.

Just googled livestock cpc and got nothing.ive worked on a dairy farm and would be interested in having ago,I would imagine 7 hours cpc is compulsory? Could anyone tell me where I can book one of these sessions? I’m based in Macclesfield.thanks.

GasGas:
That wasn’t Mr Partridge from Devon was it?

It was either John Watts or Gordon Hooper, I can’t really remember :blush:

I’ve never met Mr Partridge, he could have said it to the man who said it to me :question: