Liverpool tunnels

I’d appreciate quick reply!

Of the two tunnels:
Kingsway (A59)
Mersey Tunnel / Queensway (A41)

The one I want if driving an 18t rigid is the Northern one, A59 right?
cheers
Tim

Yes, the one that leads on to/off the M53.
Weight limit on the one off the A41.

I think it’s the Kingsway tunnel you can use mate.

Thanks a lot.
BTW trying to read merseytunnels.co.uk on a mobile is a bit of a joke, am sure info is on there somewhere…

You can only use the Wallasey tunnel in a hgv , Birkenhead tunnel is for buses only! If you are in ADR then you will need an ■■■■■■ if loaded if empty you still need to stop and declare to police you are empty and what your ADR load was.

Hope this helps.

It’s a 180 quid fine if you go through the wrong one!! :laughing:

Thanks to all for the timely information! Safely through. No one chased me asking for £180 so fairly sure I got it right!
Like a lot of things, until you do it once it feels like a big deal!

I don’t think you’ll get through the Birkenhead tunnel even if you tried. One time I pulled a U-turn at the roundabout at the top of the Liverpool side of it but there was a guard-type bloke who thought I was heading into the tunnel. He was out into the road waving quick-sharp… :open_mouth:

At the Birkenhead side I doubt you’d get through the toll booths there. Buses can go through but are limited to the right-hand lane in both directions. They pass within inches of each other at 35mph but those Arriva drivers don’t give a proverbial…

Olog Hai:
I don’t think you’ll get through the Birkenhead tunnel even if you tried. One time I pulled a U-turn at the roundabout at the top of the Liverpool side of it but there was a guard-type bloke who thought I was heading into the tunnel. He was out into the road waving quick-sharp… :open_mouth:

At the Birkenhead side I doubt you’d get through the toll booths there. Buses can go through but are limited to the right-hand lane in both directions. They pass within inches of each other at 35mph but those Arriva drivers don’t give a proverbial…

Trust me you can get through the Birkenhead tunnel if you straddle the lanes,and get through the toll booth which is the first one on the left.

HTH

LOL had to come back the other way yesterday, and what a mess. Why can’t they label the toll booth lanes more clearly. I select one saying Auto, No Articulated Vehicles, 2.5m width limit. As I have correct change that seemed fine. Then about 1 metre from the booth there is a small sign saying Cars Only. Had to press the help button to summon the resident angry woman to take my cash off me and raise the barrier.
The main reason I went for that lanes was the steady stream of cars joining from the left making it tricky to get across to the left hand attended lanes. Live and learn I guess, get it right next time!

It doesn’t help that on my map they are marked kingsway and queensway yet on the signs it is Wallasey and Birkenhead.

I tipped b and q Wallasey on Friday. Two tolls…£12.80. And I thought scousers only stole hubcaps and stereos :wink:

Bloody hell, that’s gone up a bit, when I lived in Liverpool, it was only 80p in a car!!!

£1.60 in a car now.

And they’re not scousers, the booths are abroad.

Olog Hai:

Back in the day, I lost a mirror in there - no one stopped though.

What’s worse is, the booths and tunnels have already been paid for, infact the government are still making profit now!! surely they should take the booths down its not fair!

great93:
What’s worse is, the booths and tunnels have already been paid for, infact the government are still making profit now!! surely they should take the booths down its not fair!

Only the same as the Dartford crossing,but why would the goverment stop us paying to use the tunnels or bridge the amount of revenue they make in a day? :confused:

The original promise regarding the dartford bridge is that it would be free once the bridge was paid off.

I believe that the latest excuse is that you don’t pay a toll anymore, it’s now a congestion charge…

scaniason:
The original promise regarding the dartford bridge is that it would be free once the bridge was paid off.

I believe that the latest excuse is that you don’t pay a toll anymore, it’s now a congestion charge…

DoT bloke on Jeremy Vine show said that the toll booths on the bridge are a way of regulating number of vehicles on the bridge.Then listener phoned up and said what I was thinking, that the toll booths are on the EXIT from the bridge…
Nice try.

You have to love gummint spokesmen, I can’t decide if they’re stupid or they think that we are?