Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

It was Peter Jewry S.T.

Thanks Viking. Tony.

Thank you for your responses lads.
If anyone has more photo’s of Liverpool firm’s please post.
Its great to see these photo’s lads.
There must be some gems out there.
This is helping me to get my list together for making my model lorries of Liverpool hauliers and surrounding areas.
Thanks again, keep them coming.
Dave

Can anyone tell me the livery colours of A.E.Smith-Coggins Stevadores and Porter Bros.
Cheers
Dave

Hey lads,
Desparate for some info on the following firms livery colour,s.
Bibby,s
CWS African Oil Mills
British Ropes
Criddle & Co
A E Smith Coggins
M A Kennan & Sons
C & W H Taylor Ltd
M Mckenna
Tunnock
Garston Haulage
L F Briggs
Any photo,s would be good.
Thank you in advance

xkopite:
L F Briggs
Thank you in advance

L F Briggs are still trading, they are still dark burgandy (almost brown) with gold writing.

I remember Garston Haulage doing heavy haulage and I’m certain they did some general freight as well, I think they had an orange F12 6x4 pulling a low loader, it might have been red. (the years havn’t been kind to the old memory)

Ross.

Ta Ross,
Search those memory banks for more mate.

And not a single mention of “Silver Roadways” , Waterloo Rd ,they had a fleet of Navy Blue and silver 12spd Fodens !!! And I come from Southampton !!! We used to back load from them in the early 70"s .

No I did not forget Silver Roadways,(Tates) Old Trucker.
I have a colour picture and livery details, its only the firms with no pictures or black & white pictures I need details of.
Any more Liverpool memories mate most welcome.

Kirkdale Lewis Haulage who originated from “Cherry Lane” and then moved to “Charleywood Rd” and were part of the Rio-Tinto-Zinc empire (RTZ) who also owned “Williams Harvey” smelters which is now “Eldapoint” container storage yard.

In the Transport museum at St. Helens there is a photo of Kirkdale Lewis Haulage in the yard in Kirkdale which has a line up of approx 25 Steam wagons and no petrol or diesel wagons long before they went over to diesels.

The colours were Maroon with gold letttering and the fleet when I was working there as a fitter in the 70s until we were taken over by K&G Haulage of Preston, was mainly Leyland Beavers and Octopuses with the LAD and Ergomatic cabs with tractor units and 8 leggers and Volvo F86s / ERFs / Seddons with the Perkins 3.645 and Gardner 180s and Guy Big Js with ■■■■■■■ 220 engineswhich the last 2 Volvo F86s and the Guy Big J`s were painted in Chocolate Brown & Lime Green.

Some of the LAD cabbed 8 leggers were in the 60`s sent to Leyland Motors to be cut down to artics to save buying new trucks for what reason I don,t know, as I can only presume that it was cheaper to have the “cut downs” as they were called than to buy new tractor units.

As I was a fitter there I worked with Brian Sellars (garage Foreman he left and went to Silcock & Collings at the Ford factory) Joe Gossage Fitter / Gerry Headings fitter (Ex Dexters), David headings (Gerry,s son)/ Phil Scott / Steve Lewin apprentices and Alan (Blackie) who lived somewhere in the Norris Green area.

Some of the drivers I remember were Richie Rothwell / Bill Murray / Bill Conway / John Brennan (shop Steward) / George Brookfield / Derek Orr / these are just some of the names I remember.

Derek Rooke (he went to William Rainford as T/M I believe) was the General Mgr and the transport mgr was a guy by the name of Ted Mansfield and two traffic operators whose names I can,t remember.

There was also Keenans (BOC Marks & SPencers) / Alfred Derbyshire with Maroon Fodens both also on Kirkby Industrial Estate as it was then known and “Basildon Bond” which made the writing material / pads and the “Hygena” who had the (I think) dark Blue Seddons (4 wheelers) with the demountable bodies.

My father Peter Millington worked out of Irish Sea Ferries Garston dock from 1971 to 1976 with a red day cab Scania 110 before going ME with my brother Keith (Desert Driver). He did long distance all over the uk, far north and far south included and only had 3 nights away from home in 5 1/2 years.

NEJ:
The colours were Maroon with gold letttering and the fleet when I was working there as a fitter in the 70s until we were taken over by K&G Haulage of Preston, was mainly Leyland Beavers and Octopuses with the LAD and Ergomatic cabs with tractor units and 8 leggers and Volvo F86s / ERFs / Seddons with the Perkins 3.645 and Gardner 180s and Guy Big Js with ■■■■■■■ 220 engineswhich the last 2 Volvo F86s and the Guy Big J`s were painted in Chocolate Brown & Lime Green.

As a native of Preston, I can’t bring “K&G Haulage” to mind at all - do you know any more about them?

Yes “240 Gardner” I worked for them for a short time in the early 70s and they had their yard (if you could call it that) and garage at Cuerden Mill lane in Bamber Bridge opposite the Lancashire County Council vehicle workshops and Horsley Smiths timber yard.

The co. was owned by Peter Valentine who had a pub as well in the centre of Preston just round the corner from “Preston Farmers” feed mill.

The name of the pub I am afraid I can,t remember but it was in that area as far as I know.

They used to run Atki Borderers in Dark Blue & a White roof & Red Chassis all with (except one Rolls-Royce 220 eng.Atki Borderer) 180 Gardners & David Brown 6 speed boxes except for the Rolls motor as that had a ZF g/box in it and was a flying machine.

His brother John used to run the transport co. as far as I know as he worked for Peter (I think but not as a partner) and when they bought out Kirkdale Haulage they transferred me from Kirkby to Preston as they had no fitter there, as, I at the time lived in Southport.

They transferred 1 Leyland (Ergomatic) Beaver and 1 ERF tractor unit from Kirkby as the ERF had a Gardner in it and the Leyland was a 0680. eng. so I don,t know why the transferred that one as John was a lover of Gardners / David Brown G / boxes.

They also had a Mk1 Atki with a ■■■■■■■ 180 as well painted in red, not dark blue and also a Mk1 with a 180 Gardner in it as well in the same colours.

They only had a small fleet of about 7 or 8 motors and they used to work mainly for Polva Plastics at Padiham carrying plastic pipes and fittings etc.

I think the “K & G Haulage” was a trading name for the co. only.

Also we used to have a fitter who was the foreman fitter at “Northern Ireland Trailers” at Preston dock and he worked nights, and when he finished in the morning he used to come to help me out till dinner time and then go home and presumably get some sleep for the night shift, and his name was Frank Newman and to say the least what he didn,t know about wagons you would be able to write on the back of a postage stamp he was an absolutely brilliant fitter and knew his job very well.

NEJ:
Yes “240 Gardner” I worked for them for a short time in the early 70s and they had their yard (if you could call it that) and garage at Cuerden Mill lane in Bamber Bridge opposite the Lancashire County Council vehicle workshops and Horsley Smiths timber yard.

The co. was owned by Peter Valentine who had a pub as well in the centre of Preston just round the corner from “Preston Farmers” feed mill.

The name of the pub I am afraid I can,t remember but it was in that area as far as I know.

They used to run Atki Borderers in Dark Blue & a White roof & Red Chassis all with (except one Rolls-Royce 220 eng.Atki Borderer) 180 Gardners & David Brown 6 speed boxes except for the Rolls motor as that had a ZF g/box in it and was a flying machine.

His brother John used to run the transport co. as far as I know as he worked for Peter (I think but not as a partner) and when they bought out Kirkdale Haulage they transferred me from Kirkby to Preston as they had no fitter there, as, I at the time lived in Southport.

They transferred 1 Leyland (Ergomatic) Beaver and 1 ERF tractor unit from Kirkby as the ERF had a Gardner in it and the Leyland was a 0680. eng. so I don,t know why the transferred that one as John was a lover of Gardners / David Brown G / boxes.

They also had a Mk1 Atki with a ■■■■■■■ 180 as well painted in red, not dark blue and also a Mk1 with a 180 Gardner in it as well in the same colours.

They only had a small fleet of about 7 or 8 motors and they used to work mainly for Polva Plastics at Padiham carrying plastic pipes and fittings etc.

I think the “K & G Haulage” was a trading name for the co. only.

Also we used to have a fitter who was the foreman fitter at “Northern Ireland Trailers” at Preston dock and he worked nights, and when he finished in the morning he used to come to help me out till dinner time and then go home and presumably get some sleep for the night shift, and his name was Frank Newman and to say the least what he didn,t know about wagons you would be able to write on the back of a postage stamp he was an absolutely brilliant fitter and knew his job very well.

Thanks very much for that - I’m afraid I still don’t remember them! I worked in that area for many years when W. H. Bowker moved into part of the old Horsley Smith site, but that wasn’t until 1989.

I’m sure an N.I.T. fitter would know his way blindfold around an Atki! (I actually own an ex-N.I.T. Atki, by the way)

Hi, first post for me…I was interested in the discussion on Larkins Transport…Last year i met a gentleman at Leyland transport museum who introduced himself as Mr Larkin,we talked of haulage in Liverpool and then he took out a wad of photographs of Larkins trucks,very interesting…I think he said that his yard was at Kirkby even though he had retired.
A very interesting half hour…

Viking:
Correct. Runcorn Trans were green.

Yes i remember them as a fleet of green tankers,taken over i think by “The Juggler”

bigr250:

xkopite:
L F Briggs
Thank you in advance

L F Briggs are still trading, they are still dark burgandy (almost brown) with gold writing.
Ross.

Another for the collection.

I started my driving career doing runs over to the Liverpool and Birkenhead docks in 1974, as an 18 year old on a 5 tonner TK flat with Alec Sharples of Salford.
And use to love queing up along the docks with the big lads, helping each other fold sheets to pass the time. The thing that sticks in my mind most about the drive along the East Lancs Road back then, was the AEC’s running about in the livery of Jacob’s Crackers.

Thanks TIPIT,

Made up with the photo, did you also work for L. F. Briggs if so what loads did you carry ?

Luv these old photo’s

No I never drove for Briggs so no help with that sorry.

Anybody out there got any photo’s of M.A.Keenan trucks who where based at Kirkby???or has anyone any memories of them…