Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

No i dont remember, whos was it? iff i knew the reg, i may have a better idea, do you have any other pictures? cheers truckspark

Would that be an old Essex International unit??

I have posted this before on a Liverpool docks thread.

It comes from a book

Regards Pat

ref bullit : dont no ? the truck used belong to my dad before this lad bought it the reg was SCL 507R it was dutch spec inside when we bought it it was orange cab with a box section crash bar arond the fuel tanks and it was a 4 / 2 awesome motor cheers trckspark

Truckspark, do you have any photos of Wm Harper and son, an old neighbour of my parents worked for them late 70’s and the guy who got me bitten by the truck bug, i’d go with him whenever i could during school holidays. Remember the trucks being bright yellow Leyland chieftans rigids and artics and volvo F88s in ACL colours on container work.

truckspark:
hers a few more pics of liverpool wagons hopefully more to follow

looks very much like Thorburns - TTS ?

same colour trailers!

Great pics keep em comin ! dye have any of Blundell and Rimmer, Gaskells, John Reardon, Mersey Truckin Ltd ?

many thanks

ref : routier the trailor is ex thorburns and the truck belonged to terry transport my mates dads firm

ref : haulier i remember william harpers but i havent got any pics i started a topic a few weeks ago with pics of my dads wagons hoping it would pick up a few replys and pics but its been a poor show in responses from merseyside maybe the wagons never stood long enough to take pictures or maybe the camera,s kept getting pinched :wink: :wink: :wink: :question:

Thanks for great pics Truckspark.
I am into 1950/60s pics but enjoy these shots aswell.
The Alfred Dexter pic shows a red paint finish, I have seen a black & white pic of Alfred Dexter vehicle on route from London and the caption reads as vehicle is brown ?
I hope members pick up on this post to respond with some pics, thats if they still had thier cameras or pics from books if allowed.

The Dexter bow-front is brown - I think the image has been distorted a bit. that picture appeared in Alan Thomas’s ‘Trucks’ book back in the early eighties.

All the colour pictures I’ve seen of Dexters were brown with red chassis/wheels. Other fruit hauliers of the era were Foleys, McCanns, Smithards and Fieldings.

I’m surprised there haven’t been any pictures of Harpers, George Davies, Michael McKennas, Kirkdale Haulage, Jarvis Robinsons Transport, etc appearing on here - but then again, not many people would stand at the roadside in Liverpool to take pictures back in the day - suspicious minds 'n all that. The only one who took them in Liverpool and who gets regular publicity is Peter Davies and all his have a copyright - another reason they’re not on here.

Thanks for info Marky.
Yes you may be right about people taking pics, I suppose only the likes of Peter Davies would be interested in these pics.

xkopite:
Thanks for info Marky.
Yes you may be right about people taking pics, I suppose only the likes of Peter Davies would be interested in these pics.

I don’t think it’s so much that as the fact that there simply weren’t the people with the foresight (or the finances) to take the pictures at that time in comparison to today. We live in an age where photographic development costs are almost zero - given that most people who own PCs also own digital cameras which cost nothing like as much (in real terms) as cameras did previously.

Peter was paid to take pictures by GM Bedford, so he had the motivation from that aspect as well as the interest in the subject matter. Its no surprise he’s such a prolific transport photographer.

There were several notable transport photographers of the age Peter Davies, Arthur Ingram, Geoff Milne and Roger Kenney are names which immediately spring to mind, with Arthur Ingram probably the most prolific of all

Would anyone have any idea of how to get in contact with Peter Davies.
In them days my dad was running S type, J type and in the early 60s he bought a bedford TK 6 wheeler, with a leyland engine and i believe there were photographs taken of this. The vehicle later went on fire and i believe there were also photographs taken then.

You have a PM

JUST GOT SOME MORE PICS NOT FROM THE 60,S BUT ARE LIVERPOOL BASED

SHOULD BE MORE TO FOLLOW

Truckspark if you’re from down Parly way you would remember these?

I scanned these up for Cliff (Fielding), just working on them a bit now, not had much time recently but i will finish them. The top one i started to colour in the original colours. Also have some of John (jinx) Fielding with his horses !
Cliffy is like an encyclopedia on anything to do with Liverpool transport, he may be coming round on Sunday so i’ll show him these Liverpool posts.

yeh remember fielding,s he should know my dad or poss grandad the started with horse &cart on the coal from crown street then later on with the wagons used to the fruit markets through the night we also had a yard in rathbone street used to be in front of the old cathedral my dads the same a absalute wealth of knowledge on liverpool haulage its a shame they didn,t have sites like this back then

These are great pics.
Can you tell me or find out what loads where carried by the following firms please.
Wm. Harper, L,Pool Cartage Co, F.A.Seafield, Suttons, L,Pool Warehousing and Davies Bros.
Also any other firms that come to mind.
Thank you.

xkopite:
These are great pics.
Can you tell me or find out what loads where carried by the following firms please.
Wm. Harper, L,Pool Cartage Co, F.A.Seafield, Suttons, L,Pool Warehousing and Davies Bros.
Also any other firms that come to mind.
Thank you.

well xkopite were did you bring f a seafield from i have been racking my brains for weeks trying to work out what trucks we have had and who we had sold them to and i could remember this truck but couldn,t remember were it went ,we sold seafied,s a scania 140 in the early eighties i think it was the first foriegn truck theyed bought they had always run british made trucks seem to remember a driver i think eddie went onto drive for nortons on the scrap

Seafield’s AEC Monarch and drawbar are in the Transport Museum. Sadly, because the museum doesn’t have a home, all the exhibits are in storage and not accessible to the public.

hiya,
remember a company called arthur v crutchley bootle area ran allsorts of motors used to drop bits in there in the early 60s for them to take into the docks they put stuff into storage until the ship opened to receive goods, i can also remember he had horses and carts for dock work as well, thanks harry long retired.