Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

Advert from 1963.

Click on page twice to read.

This building is Vernons Pools on the A59, directly across the road is Aintree Racecourse.
The 3 vans at the front, 2 Austins and a Ford, have Southport Reg Number plates, FY & WM.
The larger vans are 2 Austins, and 2 what look like Commers, not sure. Just half a mile from
here nowadays is Switch Island, and the start of the M57 and M58 Motorways.
Picture from Bootle Times Forum.

Vernons Pools.png

Ray Smyth:
A Scammell artic of Pearson Hauliers from Bootle, Liverpool.

Love this photo Ray, got me thinking…maybe the photo isn’t as old as it looks but I noticed the load is sheeted and finished off with a fly sheet, personally I can’t remember fly sheets being used in the early days but I’m probably wrong so can someone tell me when they first started being used?

Kempston:

Ray Smyth:

Love this photo Ray, got me thinking…maybe the photo isn’t as old as it looks but I noticed the load is sheeted and finished off with a fly sheet, personally I can’t remember fly sheets being used in the early days but I’m probably wrong so can someone tell me when they first started being used?

Well Kempston I think you may find that “fly or drip” sheets were in use from pre WW2 days as the tarpaulin rain turning quality of the era left a bit to be desired and a quality ( unroped) fly sheet probably turned 99% of the rain although on high loads there was always the problem of rain breaking through on the sides and if there was any flapping due to bad/ loose sheeting wet damage could occur ! only my opinion others may disagree. Cheers Bewick.

Coming out of Liverpool on the A59 to Ormskirk there was always a F88 290 day cab with a box trailer parked in Persons colours :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and one day i thought :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Kempston:

Ray Smyth:

Well Kempston I think you may find that “fly or drip” sheets were in use from pre WW2 days as the tarpaulin rain turning quality of the era left a bit to be desired and a quality ( unroped) fly sheet probably turned 99% of the rain although on high loads there was always the problem of rain breaking through on the sides and if there was any flapping due to bad/ loose sheeting wet damage could occur ! only my opinion others may disagree. Cheers Bewick.

Thanks for that insight Bewick, I honestly didn’t know that.

Kempston:

Bewick:

Kempston:

Ray Smyth:

Thanks for that insight Bewick, I honestly didn’t know that.

I forgot to add another two names for these particular sheets which were “Flapper” and in Scotland they were referred to as “Skins” or in the Scots accent as " Skuns" ! Cheers Bewick.

Ray Smyth:

The load is secured with a bottle sheet,ropes that can be used with a Dolly,a fly sheet only has sheet ties to hold the fly sheet in place not to secure the load,lovely nostalgic photo.

David

Advert from 1962.

DEANB:
Advert from 1962.

I remember Old Hall Street, but I’m not sure if I could find it again now! Woodward’s of Formby were in quite a big way, at one time, I think.

kevmorrow:

Bewick:

Ray Smyth:

Bewick:
Question Ray ! It might be my memory playing tricks but do ever recall a haulier from L’Pool called Dennis R Pass ? Thanks Dennis.

Hi Dennis, Yes, I remember the lorries of Dennis R Pass from many moons ago, but its not a name that I
would see very often. I will have a search around, also, I know someone that has more knowledge of firms
that were seen around Liverpool more than me. I emigrated to The Peoples Republic Of Wigan in 1966, so
my time spent in Liverpool became less frequent. Cheers Dennis, Take care. Ray.

Thanks for the gen Ray ! The name just crossed the old brain so I thought I would ask the question ! and I’ve been told on the thread that the firm was from Southport so I was in the right area ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

I seem to remember a company called Pass early 1960s from Southport or Ormskirk area with a fleet of Vulcans.

Cheers Kev

I seem to have missed this one: Dennis R Pass was from Banks, If I remember rightly, and ran a fleet of Atkinsons, both Mk.1 and Mk.2 - I’m not old enough to know what they ran before that! :laughing:

The colours were based on those of the South East & Chatham Railway, I recall, and the modernised version from the early 1970s was, in my opinion, the best ever livery applied to the Mk.2 Atkinson cab, bar none. (And that includes South Westmorland operators :wink: )

:wink:
Lincoln Farm circa '74

Bewick:
Lincoln Farm circa '74

Nice, but not Dennis R Pass nice :laughing:

Pity about the tin thing :wink:

NMP

ERF-NGC-European:

I presume they are waiting to get tipped in the docks. Bet the frecers are still there

Suedehead:

ERF-NGC-European:

I presume they are waiting to get tipped in the docks. Bet the frecers are still there

Correct. I took that picture just before the light went this afternoon :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

A typical scene at Liverpool Docks in the 1950s, 1960s, & early 1970s, from Gladstone Dock at the north end
and Herculaneum Dock at the south end. Some drivers would be there for a couple of days, No sleeper cabs
in those days. The transport digs and drivers & dockers cafes did well during this time. If your lorry was a Ford
D Series or a TK Bedford, you could get a reasonable nights sleep in the cab if you didnt fancy going to the digs.
I slept fairly well on nights away elsewhere in a Ford D or a Bedford TK or KM, because I am only 5ft 4".
Thank you for a great picture. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

I think that I may have posted these pictures of Atlas Express lorries on Trucknet pages before,
but I cant recall which thread I may have put them on. The Liverpool depot of Atlas Express
was on the site of J.B.Caulfield, a large parcel carrier at Window Lane, Garston, not far from
Liverpool Airport. I would like to find some pictures of J.B.Caulfields vans. NMPs

Ray Smyth.

Atlas 5.jpg

Atlas 4.png

Atlas 3.png

Atlas 2.png

Atlas 1.png

NMP off FB