Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

United Africa Sentinel steam lorry from Liverpool. Judging by the Burton On Trent number plate,
I wonder if it was a brewery lorry in its early days, perhaps Ind Coope or Marstons ?. NMP.

United Africa Sentinel.png

The Mersey Tunnel in Liverpool in the 1950s. In the first picture, it shows that the tunnel
consists of 4 lanes, 2 in each direction. A large amount of people from Birkenhead, Wallasey, and many
places on the Wirral work in Liverpool, so a 3 lane and 1 lane system was in place between 7am - 9am,
and 5pm - 7pm. Picture 2 shows 3 lanes of traffic entering the tunnel, and 1 lane of traffic arriving in
Liverpool, so this would be the 5pm -7pm setting. The morning set-up would be 3 lanes arriving here,
and just 1 lane to enter the tunnel. The system worked well, no traffic cones in those days. NMP.

Mersey Tunnel 1952.jpg

The Mersey Tunnel entrance in Liverpool in 1934, prior to the official
opening by King George V and Queen Mary. My father drove his Ford
2 ton Greenbanks Dairy lorry through the tunnel later that day.
NMPs.

Ray Smyth.

Mersey Tunnel 1934.jpg

The Dock Road in Liverpool in what looks like the early 1950s. I think that the lorry that is leaning over
is a Morris Commercial, not 100% sure. The large building at the rear was the Tobacco Warehouse, and
the cars are Ford and Austin. NMP.

Dock Road.jpg

A busy scene near the Pier Head in Liverpool in the mid 1950s. To the left of the picture is the entrance/exit of
the branch section of the Mersey Tunnel. St Nicholas Church is on the left, and the Liverpool Corpoation bus is
a Leyland PD2 with MCW bodywork. The Morris 1 ton van is about to pass underneath the Liverpool Overhead
Railway which went to Seaforth to the left, and Dingle to the right, the full length of the docks, and finally
closed in September 1957. The chap pushing the cart is a Corporation roadsweeper. Picture by Bootle History Forum.

What a wonderful set of photographs on this thread. Many thanks to you all for posting.

I wonder if you can help me with a little problem that I have. I am interested in the movement of car bodies from the Triumph/BL factories at Speke. There are a couple of photos on this thread which show mid sixties trailers, each with 7 saloon bodies in primer, but I am interested in how they moved the TR6 bodies between Woodend Avenue and Speke Hall Road factories and then moved trimmed TR6 and Stag bodies (without engines and wheels) between Speke and Coventry where the engines were installed.

The mid sixties pics are cars in primer and they seem to show that the loads would have been sheeted and roped but I can’t believe that they did this with finally painted bodies. Does anyone know whether they had special trailers made and whether they were totally copvered ? And which companies did the transport - probably about 20 loads each evening.

Peter

Hello PeterR, Welcome to Trucknet, with regard to your Triumph Cars query at their factory at Speke in Liverpool.
I have contacted a couple of chaps that drove car transporters, and whilst both of them delivered to and loaded
from Merseyside, including Ford at Halewood and Vauxhall at Ellesmere Port, neither of them did Triumph cars.
If you put your query on the " Past and Present " thread, you may get some better response, because that thread
is read by a nationwide range of members. Regards, Ray Smyth.

A Bibbys Soap lorry loading at one of their factories at Dundee Street in Liverpool, 1932.
I don’t know the make of the little lorry, but I can see it has a KA local registration plate.
Picture by Stewart Bale.

Another Bibbys lorry, this one is an Austin loading at their Great Howard Street factory in 1949.
Click for larger image. Picture by Stewart Bale.

Austin Lorry.jpg

Black Arrow from 1966.

Click on page twice.

coomsey:
Parked up in Liverpool according to FB, Ray. Nmp

That can’t be Liverpool coomsey,they still have their wheels on!

David

great pictures there of the mersey tunnel

5thwheel:

coomsey:

David

Ray will get you !

coomsey:

5thwheel:

coomsey:

David

Ray will get you !

I remember having to park the units wheels on the sheets,as did most others,couldn’t afford to pay the scroats to “mind your wagon mister?”,digs money wasn’t that generous.

David

5thwheel:

coomsey:

5thwheel:

coomsey:

David

Ray will get you !

I remember having to park the units wheels on the sheets,as did most others,couldn’t afford to pay the scroats to “mind your wagon mister?”,digs money wasn’t that generous.

Great comments, David and Coomsey, Some of the more organised " Scroats " were known to carry a bottle jack and wheelbrace in their vans,
and rob your wheels as well as your sheets and flysheets. It is because of their activities that some drivers stayed overnight in " The Cab Hotel ".

Cheers, Ray.

Couple of rare uns Ray, don’t think I ever saw an Akky 6 whlr ,off FB, cheers Coomsey

FB_IMG_1594640798698.jpg

Ray Smyth:
A busy scene near the Pier Head in Liverpool in the mid 1950s. To the left of the picture is the entrance/exit of
the branch section of the Mersey Tunnel. St Nicholas Church is on the left, and the Liverpool Corpoation bus is
a Leyland PD2 with MCW bodywork. The Morris 1 ton van is about to pass underneath the Liverpool Overhead
Railway which went to Seaforth to the left, and Dingle to the right, the full length of the docks, and finally
closed in September 1957. The chap pushing the cart is a Corporation roadsweeper. Picture by Bootle History Forum.

Thats a great working pic Ray,love the old street cleaner with his trolley. :smiley:

Heres one of British Viscoleum Fuels Thornycrofts from 1957.

Another old un.
Oily

Liverpool BedfordAl cc by 2.0 6896709610_28a10c77af_k.jpg

oiltreader:
Another old un.
Oily

Thanks Eddie for this interesting picture from the 1960s It is the Birkenhead end of the Mersey Tunnel. Cheers, Ray.

A Ford D Series artic unit of Evan Cook ( Liverpool ) Ltd. I believe that Evan Cook were a Peckham, London based company.
This lorry is seen at Barton Street in Liverpool, and I understand that Evan Cook acquired Cross Hallage of Liverpool about 1961.
I can remember seeing Evan Cook lorries on the road many years ago, but I dont know if they were a Haulage Contractor or an
Own account operator. Perhaps some of the chaps on here will remember Evan Cook. The Head office of Crosshallage was at
Crosshall Street in the centre of Liverpool.
The picture is from Bootle History Forum.

Ray.

Evan Cook Ford D.jpg