Little Q about ADR

i collected this as part of a load now my Q is did i need to disply orange plates while on the road or not? btw i do have a ADR licence but its been over 2 years since i last used it!!! i did declare it for the ferry

malcolmj:
i collected this as part of a load now my Q is did i need to disply orange plates while on the road or not? btw i do have a ADR licence but its been over 2 years since i last used it!!!

Hi malcolmj, No mate, you didn’t need the licence or the boards for that job.

In fact, you could have carried a total of 1,000 kgs of that stuff before you’d have needed boards or an ADR licence by road.
In this case, the relevant figure is the nett kgs, because the dangerous goods were declared as a ‘solid,’ so the gross weight doesn’t matter for ADR purposes, therefore all you needed for the road journey is 1 X 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher.

malcolmj:
i did declare it for the ferry

Quite right too mate, cos that’s required by IMDG as was the multi-modal paperwork in your picture. :wink:

thank you Dave that was the answer i was hoping for ,but you should have seen the dirty looks i got when i took the class 9 shipping stickers off the trl and no orange plates when i was about to drive off the ferry,( thats the best bit of adr by sea when you get pole poisiton on the car deck) .

malcolmj:
thank you Dave that was the answer i was hoping for ,but you should have seen the dirty looks i got when i took the class 9 shipping stickers off the trl and no orange plates when i was about to drive off the ferry,( thats the best bit of adr by sea when you get pole poisiton on the car deck) .

Hi malcolmj, You’re only spot-on again mate :grimacing:

For what you were carrying, it’s perfectly legal to remove the placards from a vehicle (but not a container or a tanker) for the road leg of a journey, even if orange boards were needed.

ADR (carriage of dangerous goods by road vehicles) and IMDG (carriage of dangerous goods by ships) are two completely separate sets of Regs, so there’s not actually any such thing as ADR by sea, but I do understand your meaning. :wink: :smiley: