Little help please

I have cpc up until 2024 (hgv only) I’m wanting to do my pcv licence. I know I need to do another theory test and hazard perception but do I need to do the case study? Or can I add the D entitlement to my cpc card? Thanks

You’ll have to do another case study and another mod 4 practical test. The case study will be called a ‘conversion’ test but it’s pretty much the same, just the questions will be even more specific to PCVs like to do with passengers and not so much on areas like drivers hours.
The only exception might be if you already have D1 through aquired rights, but I don’t know how that would change things exactly.

D1 wouldn’t make a difference mate, you’ll have to do all 4 modules, theory, case studies, practical test and the module 4.
You will still have many hours questions, due to the fact that coaches operate under tachograph legislation.
You will have type specific questions, but it’s all common sense.
Best of luck mate.

Yeah I only thought d1 might mean you can do 35 hours instead but wasn’t too sure anyway.

As for the case study I did it the other way round, already had caragory D then did C, my case study ‘conversion’ test didn’t have a single question on drivers hours, all 50 were to do with loads, where the original I did had a mix of this and other topiccs.

I did D first myself, for my sins, mine was a real mix of questions.
Gotta say I don’t miss buses and coaches!

htfc1984:
I have cpc up until 2024 (hgv only) I’m wanting to do my pcv licence. I know I need to do another theory test and hazard perception but do I need to do the case study? Or can I add the D entitlement to my cpc card? Thanks

Are they not a 5 year rolling type thing (anyone)?

dave_k:

htfc1984:

In a word, yes.
But you can complete your 35 hours early and then it extends your qualification a further 5 years.

Do you have a pre 1997 licence with D1 (101) on it ? - if yes then PCV can be added to the LGV DQC by emailing cpcre@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

ROG:
Do you have a pre 1997 licence with D1 (101) on it ? - if yes then PCV can be added to the LGV DQC by emailing cpcre@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

I didn’t realise that was the case, thanks ROG, learn something new every day!

ROG:

No sadly not Rog

Car 02.
C 07
C+e 08

Chunkzilla:

dave_k:

htfc1984:

In a word, yes.
But you can complete your 35 hours early and then it extends your qualification a further 5 years.

for real? so i can so 70 hours in 1 year and have 10 years on my cpc?

Chunkzilla:

ROG:

I didn’t realise that was the case, thanks ROG, learn something new every day!

Yeah that was what I was thinking of, wasn’t too sure though :laughing:

Chunkzilla:
I did D first myself, for my sins, mine was a real mix of questions.
Gotta say I don’t miss buses and coaches!

And definitely agreed here! :laughing:

tommymanc:

Chunkzilla:

dave_k:

htfc1984:

In a word, yes.

for real? so i can so 70 hours in 1 year and have 10 years on my cpc?

No, it’s only when you do your initial cpc mod 2+4 tests to get 5 years, then 35 hours to get another 5 years. After that doing more than 35 early doesn’t count

cman:
No, it’s only when you do your initial cpc mod 2+4 tests to get 5 years, then 35 hours to get another 5 years. After that doing more than 35 early doesn’t count

Not quite correct.

If I attend 35 hours this week I will receive my first DQC. I can then attend 35 hours next week and I will receive a new card valid for just under 10 years.

If I then attend any further training it will be invalid until the last 5 years of the card validity period.

htfc1984:

ROG:

No sadly not Rog

Car 02.
C 07
C+e 08

If you haven’t got the magical D1 with a 101 restriction then that means you will need to do Module 2 & 4 for Category D to get you CPC. After that any CPC attended will count for both category C and D.

shep532:

cman:

Not quite correct.

If I attend 35 hours this week I will receive my first DQC. I can then attend 35 hours next week and I will receive a new card valid for just under 10 years.

If I then attend any further training it will be invalid until the last 5 years of the card validity period.

Sorry yes or if that route is taken instead of the 2 tests, but either way you can only do this to get more than 5 years when it’s to do with gaining the initial cpc