Little help please

hi all trying to do this on a busted phone so excuse the errors :slight_smile:
Drove 2.20 this morning then had a puncture put it on poa which reset the clock
Drove another 4.30 then had a 45 which leaves 3 hrs driving
Question is how do I drive the 3 hrs can I do it all in one hit or do I do 2 hrs break and then the last hour
Thanks for any assistance

Also does anyone know of any free parking lay-bys about an hour from Swansea :slight_smile:

First off, putting it on POA doesn’t reset the driving time… (yes, I know the tacho will reset but from a legal standpoint POA only counts as break if you are multi-manning and your card is in Slot 2).

Properly stuffed that up then :frowning:

So basically you’ve already exceeded 4.5 hours driving without a break…

What you should have done was to put the tacho on Break for the first 45 minutes while you were waiting for the tyre fitter.

Too late now though - the deed is done.

Cheers for that put that in the don’t forget book :frowning:

cornishnick:
Question is how do I drive the 3 hrs can I do it all in one hit or do I do 2 hrs break and then the last hour

As Roymondo said 45 minutes of POA will wrongly reset the driving time on the digital tachograph display but your driving time is not legally reset.

To answer your question, now you’ve had a 45 minute break you can do the other 3 hours 10 minutes driving in one hit, you don’t need another driving break.

If you’re going to be doing over six hours working time from the end of the last break you will need a 15 minute break before going over the six hour mark.

edit: Your best bet now is to do a printout and write an explanation of why you went over 4½ hours driving time without a break on it, then sign the printout, you’ll still get an infringement but at-least it shows you’re aware of what you’ve done wrong.

tachograph:

cornishnick:

As Roymondo said 45 minutes of POA will wrongly reset the driving time on the digital tachograph display but your driving time is not legally reset.

To answer your question, now you’ve had a 45 minute break you can do the other 3 hours 10 minutes driving in one hit, you don’t need another driving break.

If you’re going to be doing over six hours working time from the end of the last break you will need a 15 minute break before going over the six hour mark.

edit: Your best bet now is to do a printout and write an explanation of why you went over 4½ hours driving time without a break on it, then sign the printout, you’ll still get an infringement but at-least it shows you’re aware of what you’ve done wrong.

When I attended a New Operator Seminar, the VOSA (as it was at the time) man taking the course, in answer to a question, said they take the first 45 minutes of POA as break anyway.

nyk473l:
When I attended a New Operator Seminar, the VOSA (as it was at the time) man taking the course, in answer to a question, said they take the first 45 minutes of POA as break anyway.

That only applies if you’re multi-manning and sat in the passenger seat with your card is in slot 2.

tachograph:

nyk473l:

That only applies if you’re multi-manning and sat in the passenger seat with your card is in slot 2.

I think there is some variance between what is strictly legally permissible and what VOSA/DVSA will allow.

Roymondo:

tachograph:

nyk473l:

I think there is some variance between what is strictly legally permissible and what VOSA/DVSA will allow.

It’s certainly possible, though personally I’d rather stick to what I know I can do and not have to rely on a DVSA examiners discretion to be honest.

Cheers all printout done lesson learned :slight_smile:

Cheers all printout done lesson learned :slight_smile:

Good idea Nick, do two printouts! :wink:

the maoster is right, if you do two printouts you can hand one in when your card is downloaded and keep one with you in case you get stopped at a road-side check.

Like I said it won’t stop you getting an infringement anyway, but at-least it shows you’re on the case :wink:

and to add IF you ever do a Ball5 up again do a print out as soon as you notice it NOT at the end of the day :wink: