Lithuanian driver fined

THE driver of a lorry which caused traffic chaos when it crashed through a central reservation on the A180 has appeared in court.

Vytautas Tolvaisa, 58, of Vilnius in Lithuania, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention on the westbound carriageway between the junction with the A160 and the M180.

He appeared at North Lincolnshire Magistrates’ Court in Scunthorpe and was fined £1,000.

He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £100 and costs of £85.

The incident took place at around 0520 on Tuesday May 13 and caused both lanes of the eastbound carriageway to be closed.

One lane of the westbound carriageway was also closed.

No injuries were reported.

Dieseldoforme:
No injuries were reported

Bloody lucky i’d say.

Got me 2 hours overtime and 2 hours less time on site!!

Any news if he actually got any points or a driving ban? If not then that is shocking i thought points were mandatory in an incident such as driving without due care and attention.

PushrodV8:
Any news if he actually got any points or a driving ban? If not then that is shocking i thought points were mandatory in an incident such as driving without due care and attention.

It’s likely but points won’t affect his driving licence as it isn’t issued by the DVLA. What happens is a ghost driving get licence is made using his details so points can be added but they are only valid over here.

PushrodV8:

Assuming he’s a Lithuanian driver driving a Lithuanian registered truck why do you think that points can be applied to a foreign licence.Having said that there are reciprocal agreements between some EU states and even Switzerland which apply licence penalties between those countries.Depending on point of view luckily for us at least the UK,Denmark and Ireland have opted out of such a cross border licence penalty system.However depending on point of view unluckily for us the EU are now arguing that those countries too will be forced to join the system.Trust me under that regime more Brits driving cars etc will be getting nicked and points for speeding etc etc on French etc roads than there are Lithuanians etc crashing trucks here.

Having said that east European ( and Turkish ) driving standards have always been zb compared to western European ones which is a totally different issue which hitting east,and often west European drivers,with points won’t solve.

Eu still don t have some all Eu driving licence regisrs.and any points can give just France to driers with France licence ,English to English.or give ban to drive truck or car .but give point to drivers who make …overspeed in England with Any another licence no possible

The victim surcharge was a waste of time, the only victim was himself ( not forgetting the hours drivers spent waiting for the road to re-open _ and i dont suppose they would want to share that out, on the other hand i hope they persued his insurance company for the cost of repairs, rather than the tax payers.

Who cares!?

Probably drive just fall asleep at the wheel for a split second
woke up and realise that he’s in the wrong lane to one where he normaly drives! :smiley:

It would be fair to assume that at 58 years, he was an experienced driver with several years under his belt. To be fair, he got all the way from Lithuania - right? :slight_smile: