Lithuanian Car Transporter?

If i am on the 4pm shift on a Friday i quite often notice a Lithuanian ( i think its Lithuanian it says LT on the no.plate) about 2:30 3 pm near Grantham/Newark it always has accident damaged cars and is heading Southbound on the A1, does anyone know if these cars are actually being taken abroad?, or would it be doing work in the UK?.

The cars on the back are UK registered some still with no plates on them.

I,m just curious more than anything else and can anyone tell me probably a stupid question but do thery drive on the left or the right in Lithuania?.

They also collect cars out of a garage near to one of the companies we collect from in Peterborough. Again accident damaged / written off cars.

I spoke to the guy in the garage about it, and they do take them back to Lithuania. I think they make a fair amount off of the parts back there.

Depending on what type of car no they do not have at this time a
big car parts industry,but they do have very good mechanics in there
workshops,they may not be as well schooled in modern electronic repairs
but they are learning very fast.Also the labour costs are so low that they
do make a nice profit on the cars in question even after paying all
custom and tax duties and not forgetting the transport cost.

Same thing happen in Germany, I had often seen in LKW photos site, lots Lithunsia (LT) and Ukraine (UA) doing work autotransport for europe. also lots i have seen french, dutch and portuguuse autotransport in UK

Ben

I’ve been to Poland many times and you used to see hundreds of car transporters at the border with wrecked cars on them, when you got into Poland nearly every other car was a cobbled together ex wreck. Things have moved on in Poland now, they all drive new Fiat’s and Daewoo’s. I think that is what they call progress? I guess the same thing is happening futher east now.

You see them a lot in Belgium too,though mostly Polish registered.
A lot of them are Transit minibuses pulling a trailer with a smashed car on the back,or beaver tail Transit’s pulling a trailer.
It seems they use minibuses or crew cabs so that when they come over here there’s usually 4 or 5 guys and so some of them will drive a car or van back.

This has been big business in Poland, Lithuania, Belorussia, Russia and Ukraine for many years now, thought they have only started coming to this country recently as it naturally costs more to get to and from an island. Alot of the cars also go by ship, if you go to Alexandra Dock in Hull to the Rix timber terminal you may notice a compound of wrecked cars and vans at the head of the dock. When their ships head back to Klaipeda and Riga, they often have a full deck cargo of damaged vehicles. The Lithuanians have even converted alot of ex Frozen Fish Carriers into ramshackle car carriers that ply between Klaipeda and mainly Germany to a port in Schleswig Holstein. I even know a Ukrainian (ethnic Russian) who now lives in London who used to be involved in going to and from Germany for cars.

can we send them some trucks too, Im sick of seeing them drive ours over here hope it costs the insurance people a lot of money very soon so we can keep our industry free from slave labour from these countries. PS is it true that P&O have sacked some drivers just to replace them with cheap ones from poland, lithuanier and others■■?

Here in the US, rust-free California cars are quite popular in places like Chicago and Detroit, where the road salt eats coachwork away withing about 10 years, leaving gaping holes. Several companies haul older but rust-free cars from the LA area up there, then backhaul with low-mileage rust heaps, which they sell in Mexico. Many of these have their coachwork repaired in the body shops down in Tiajuana, and then are sold to the locals for a profit.