Limiters in 7.5t's?

does anybody know if limiters are now fitted in these annoying vehicles…? couple of times this week i’ve had em overtaking me steadily over a period of 4 miles,holding up traffic etc,the first time i gave in and stepped off the gas to allow him in,but the second one just cut in front of me after about 4 miles going accross the a14 northants in that lorry ban area,should i back off every time??

Yeah since Jan1st 2007 and 2008 depending on age.

I Have had to drive one this week as my wagon is poorly :cry:

And they all have limiters fitted now (well most do)

Bloody 53 mph its set too , it messes with the gearing as well, they have no power at all .They should have set them at 60 imo , 53 is way to slow .

The only place i can overtake is say after a roundabout were its a little faster than a proper wagon, but after that i just have to sit behind them , not much point in trying to overtake anything, and those that do it on the likes of the a14 want birching the numpty’s :wink:

53 mph?? who’s wisdom do we blame for that■■? oh well that answers that.thks guys.

The EU, any commerical vehicle over 3.5ton has to be limited.

More forward thinking from the EU, all commerical drivers are retards in their eyes and can’t be trusted to do the speed limit 60mph or 70mph in the case of 7.5tonners !

Basically as a simple rule of thumb,
Anything that is 3.5t and above and Euro 2 and newer basically 2002 onwards is supposed to be limited.
Before this it doesn’t have to be limited YET.

If it has got a limiter = No outside lane.
If it has got no limiter= Outside lane.

You think that with 7.5t limiters are fun just wait until the time comes (in the not too distant future) that even transits and sprinters etc.etc. are limited.

The LDV Maxuses (Maxii?) at my works (HDNL Lincoln) are limited , the blurb in the van says 75 mph the truth is 79 mph and then it hits a brick wall so Im told :unamused:

G8YMW:
The LDV Maxuses (Maxii?) then it hits a brick wall so Im told :unamused:

That’s nothing to do with the limiter, it’s down to a loose nut behind the steering wheel! :wink:

I did a week with a tyre firm via an agency driving vans and they were limited to 60 mph, seemed a strange speed, not really fast enough to pass trucks without getting a load of honking car drivers behind you. No one at this company seemed to know why they had these vans or if it was even the law that it should be like this.

The only plus points I could see was it ran in the middle of the green band and the new paint work was not suffering from re-entry burns.

Limiting speed on trucks,is, as much as I hate to say it, probably a good thing. However, I reckon it was all fine until 3.5 t and up was included.

Now we have even more equal-speed vehicles jousting for the same available space. It makes no sense.

7.5’s should have been limited to 60, and 3.5’s/vans maybe 65.

At the very least, this scenario would allow proper and safe overtaking, without
any safety compromises.

A bad rule needing a lot more thought.

drew128:
I did a week with a tyre firm via an agency driving vans and they were limited to 60 mph,quote]thats the max you can do on a duel carrageway legally in a commercial van

Fair comment jayeastanglia, but if thats the limit then I can do that myself. In the nitty gritty of the motorway they should be able to do 70 MPH and use the outside lane, if for no other reason than keep them out of the way.

Regards these vans I had been driving, they all had “THIS VAN IS RESTRICTED TO 63 MPH” plastered on the back doors, I said 60MPH as none of them got above that during the week according to a level, straight piece of motorway and a sat nav.

I had on a few occasions trucks I was overtaking, then catching me downhill on the inside before I could complete then maneuver, most people drive with their blood boiling already and this will make a bad situation worse. After a couple of hours I accepted it and drove in a more chilled manner than normal, it was either that or screaming, stood up on the gas peddle getting nowhere, but I ain’t sure the average van man will cope with it very well.

It’s all a pain in the arse . Now normal licence holders need to exercise a little common sense with limiter overtaking , Can you get past ? Are you going to hold the road up for miles ?
It’s bad enough with HGV drivers knowingly doing it :unamused: .
No fear of that malarky for me now . Trucks been turned down to 85 kph and on a gps thing shows actual speed 51-52 mph .
Still overtook a Tesco truck at a rapid rate the other night :laughing:

smile!:
i do think speed limiters are a major contributor to lgv tailgating. everyone just seems hell bent on sitting at their vehicle’s maximum calibrated speed (which is perfectly understandable - on a motorway)

as if the problem wasn’t bad enough, now the dumb [zb] at the EU put them into 7.5 tonners as well. You ever noticed now how so many little trucks are stuck that close to the rear end of bigger lorries that it almost looks like wag-n-drag! ? i feel sorry for the people driving those. they catch up on a bigger wagon, pull out to overtake at a ridiculously confined speed of like 1mph uphill let’s say… finally about to complete manouevre, then the hill turns to downhill and the (obviously heavier) artic/big rigid speeds up…

and so forth…

If it needs stars it’s not allowed. Go read the rules. L.

EU, A DICTIONARY DEFINITION: :wink:

Acronym for the UK & Europe’s overseeing governing body ‘European Union’.

Also referred to as the “E-Who?”, this is basically a euphamism for a bunch of muppets with too much power who sit in their plush offices thousands of miles away from the places whose regulations they are actually dictating. In turn making a complete pig’s ear of everything from transport to our economy, to common court laws.