Limiters and the law

As we all know limiters are supposed to be set between 52mph and 56 mph.
So if you set your limiter to 58mph. you are breaking a silly law.
IF you set your limiter to 50mph. Are you breaking the same silly law?

can i ask why speed limiters are set to between 52-56?,is it age related?,why not set them all to 56?.the reason i ask is because,whichever truck i get,it always seems to be the slowest in the fleet.newer trucks in our fleet,also of the same make older or newer fly past mine like im stood still.i borrowed “the pets” sat nav last week,and on there it says im doing 52 flat out,yet my speedo reads dead on 90 kph.its an 07 daf cf by the way.

buck73:
can i ask why speed limiters are set to between 52-56?,is it age related?,why not set them all to 56?.the reason i ask is because,whichever truck i get,it always seems to be the slowest in the fleet.newer trucks in our fleet,also of the same make older or newer fly past mine like im stood still.i borrowed “the pets” sat nav last week,and on there it says im doing 52 flat out,yet my speedo reads dead on 90 kph.its an 07 daf cf by the way.

Your tacho is out of caliberation. So report it.
Are your tyres on the drive axle worn? If so get it caliberated, Then get some new tyres on it. But don’t put the new ones on first.
Ok your tacho will be out by a little but it’ll be the right side of 56. :wink:

The silly law in question only says that limiters should be set to 85kph, and to not allow it past 90kph. However, everyone reads that to mean 90kph… well, almost everyone does…

limeyphil:

buck73:

Are your tyres on the drive axle worn? If so get it caliberated, Then get some new tyres on it. But don’t put the new ones on first.

Shush man! :unamused:

Check this link to an earlier thread:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … t=limiters

May I ask why limiters are set at 56mph when the maximum speed for an LGV on a motorway according to the Highway Code is 60, :question: :question: :question:

Smee:
May I ask why limiters are set at 56mph when the maximum speed for an LGV on a motorway according to the Highway Code is 60, :question: :question: :question:

Something todo with BS EN: 123:4567:89 (what ever the number is)is’n it■■?

:smiley: :confused:

Smee:

Because it’s an EU requirement.

If the law is 90kmh why is it you can do 60mph/100kmh on the motorways?

[pedantic mode on] 100 kmh is more than 60 mph[pedantic mode off]

To allow for overrun .

scottishcruiser:
If the law is 90kmh why is it you can do 60mph/100kmh on the motorways?

The law says the limiter must be set to 90 kph,but we are all prone to a bit of overspeeding on a downhill stretch,so the legal speed limit is still 60 mph.

The speed limiter setting of 56 mph/90 kmh is what has been worked out by the boffins as the most economical top speed.

At the risk of putting my head above the parapet and having it shot off. I was under the impression that the limit was left at 60mph, because it’s a bit of a pain to actually change a law, and with the advent of limiters it was deemed unneccessary to do that. The limit for HGV’s on a M’Way is actually 56mph, any over that and you risk falling foul of the law (zero speedo error allowed with a tacho). Also (I’m sure Rog will correct me if I’m wrong) it is illegal to coast in a vehicle as it is deemed that the driver is not in control of said vehicle, so doing 60mph downhill is also an offence. I stand to be corrected here, but this is what I’ve always been lead to believe

I say again the Highway Code quite clearly says the maximum speed for LGVs on a motorway is 60mph. What part of this is unclear… :question: :question:

Smee:
I say again the Highway Code quite clearly says the maximum speed for LGVs on a motorway is 60mph. What part of this is unclear… :question: :question:

hi smee saw this few weeks ago

Motorway speed limits
It is likely, once all the changes to vehicles requiring road speed
limiters have taken place (after 1 January 2008), the national
motorway speed limit for goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and
buses will be lowered.
Restricting all vehicles in these classes to the same speed limit will
reduce any competitive advantage of older vehicles (which are not
required to have speed limiters).
For further information, please contact the Vehicle and Operator
Services Agency (VOSA) on:

del

mrpj:

Smee:

Because it’s an EU requirement.

so why are the french,german,italian and spanish doing 60+mph :open_mouth:

While I was on a digi tacho course I was told that it was construction and use regulations that stated that HGVs had to be limited to 56MPH. One company that I drive for has their limiters set to 50 MPH they told me that it caused less infringments.

limeyphil:

buck73:

I was lead to believe the tacho was calibrated at the gearbox, so it wouldn’t make any difference.

It is calibrated at the gearbox, but if the tyre circumference changes, due to wear then each rotation of the wheel will give a slightly less distance travelled, therefore lower road speed. On the calibration plate it states what size tyres the tacho was calibrated to.

Smee:

Whoa, easy there tiger. Whilst I agree that the speed limit for a HGV is 60mph, the point I was trying to make (now fasten your seatbelt 'cos this doesn’t conform to “The world according to Smee”) is that if a police officer caught you doing 60 mph in a HGV on the motorway he would be within his rights to start a prosecution against you. The reasons being, that assuming your vehicle is new enough to require a limiter then either the limiter is defective (an offence) or your vehicle is coasting downhill (an offence).

What part of that was unclear?