"Limited Quantities'

Would someone be good enough to give me a brief synopsis of what this “Limited Quantities” is all about. I’m looking in particular at aerosols with deodorant in. It use to be dangerous goods didn’t it ?. Can you do full trailer loads of aerosols and are the regs the same throughout europe ?.

As a complete and total guess, I would say that it means you are carrying less than 50 kg of the product in question.

I think your guess would be wrong Harry. I know a big multi national company that ships out full truck loads with just “limited quantities” stickers on.

hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/exemptions.htm

It’s not based on the total weight but the size and type of the individual packing, you could have a full load of whatever it is but if the individual packages are small and they meet a certain standard then it still counts as limited quantities. Before I switched to my current run I used to do Limited Quantity loads to Ireland and the total weight of the goods varied. I only needed to put stickers on the trailer for the ferry crossing, and notify the ferry company. Sometimes they put me on the open deck and sometimes just inside, depending how they felt. Didn’t need stickers or orange boards or any of that nonsense for the road part of the journey and I also don’t have ADR.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23162 see page 3

Ex Haulier:
Would someone be good enough to give me a brief synopsis of what this “Limited Quantities” is all about. I’m looking in particular at aerosols with deodorant in. It use to be dangerous goods didn’t it ?. Can you do full trailer loads of aerosols and are the regs the same throughout europe ?.

Wait for Dave, because I don’t feel confident about the 2011 changes to comment.

There are now 3 levels I suppose you could call them.

Limited Quantities

Excepted Quantities

Quantities that come under the ADR Threshold

There are also some new placards, so just hang around a bit longer for the info from the boss.

one thing I can be confident about, is that ADR is accepted in all of Europe and in many parts of the world and they are sometimes taught in Russian in Dave’s classroom :laughing:

I aint arf glad i dont do adr anymore :smiley: :smiley:

Dave’s the expert, but for a quick answer - ADR is a European system, so as far as I am aware the rules should be the same across the EU (I don’t send ADR stuff abroad though, so have never tested that particular theory). And if you’re talking retail-size deodorant and the like, then that’ll come under LQ’s, otherwise half the Boots delivery fleet would be on orange boards

Ex Haulier:

Hi Ex Haulier,

Sorry for the delay. :blush:

As already mentioned, the concept of Limited Quantities (LQs) is that it’s one of many exemptions contained in ADR. As you might expect, there’s no such thing as a free lunch.
Where there is an exemption, there are a few things that need to be complied with in order that the exemption can be legitimately used and relied upon.

The notion of an exemption isn’t available to all dangerous goods, but the idea behind LQs is that the exemption applies to the kind of dangerous goods that can be bought over the counter in retail shops, supermarkets and garden centers. Aerosols are a good example of dangerous goods packed in Limited Quantities.

15122010006.jpg

If there are white labels with a UN number on the packages, then it’s LQs and that’s the end of the matter.

The LQ system is currently undergoing a change, which will simplify things for the consignor. Instead of the white labels with a UN number, the new version of an LQ label looks like this WITHOUT a UN number:

LQ label_TN.jpg

Since 01/01/09, there is a requirement that some vehicles carrying LQs are marked.
The requirement applies to the following vehicles:
A vehicle (or container) of more than 12t permitted GVW is required to be marked when carrying more than 8t of dangerous goods packed in Limited Quantities.

Just in case anybody asks: :wink: :grimacing:
:bulb: This does NOT apply to vehicles whose permitted GVW is 12t or less.
:bulb: This does NOT apply to vehicles of more than 12t GVW when they’re carrying 8t or less of LQs.

The vehicle markings must be displayed one on the front and one on the rear, but for the carriage of LQs, there is a choice:

Two orange plates… (400mm X 300mm)

or two of these… (250mm X 250mm)

LQ label_TN.jpg

or two of these…
(Black on white, no overall size specified, but with lettering of at least 65mm height.)

LTD QTY.jpg

@ROG
Re the system that you linked:
Either system can be used until 30/06/2015, after which date, ONLY the new system can be used.

@Malc,
This week’s lucky numbers are 1.6.1.20 :wink:
Excepted Quantities have no connection to Limited Quantities. (Different exemption.)
Quantities that come below the ADR threshold can only be considered when the goods aren’t packed in Limited Quantities. (Another different exemption.)

@Mrknowitall
An employed driver need have no fear of having to learn any of this stuff because:
the responsibility lies with the consignor AND the carrier.
If you’re told that it’s Limited Quantities, you’re good to go, even if you don’t have an ADR licence.

@Harry Monk
Under ADR, there is NO restriction on quantity or threshold at which an ADR licence becomes a requirement when carrying LQs. As far as a driver is concerned, the only ADR requirement is to mark the vehicle as above:D

@Everybody
I hope this helps. :smiley: