Lightweight units

In the next 6-9 months I will be looking to replace my 06 plate MAN unit with something a bit newer, probably in the 09-11 age bracket. As I run a bulker I was hoping to find a decent lightweight unit with the mini midlift. Not really bothered what make although as Scania tend to be pricey i’ll probably end up with an MAN or Daf 105, preferably the latter. I know these units are like rocking horse ■■■■ to buy, you see loads of them on the road but try to find one for sale and you’ve got your work cut out. You see quite a few which are pet regs or have discharge equipment on but i’m wondering what the implications are of removing the pumping equipment and replacing it with tipping gear??

I was hoping some of you on here may know of any dealers that get a lot of these lightweight units in or if you could point me in the right direction? The obvious companies to look out for these trucks would be Agribulk and the like or even Abbey Logistics although again, these would have pumping equipment on.

Cheers,
Matt

Walker movements who you probly know about get a few in although they tend to be “seasoned” to put it politely.

If you’re doing alright, I’d seriously think about buying new for that type of thing. How much have you spent maintaining 06?..

Silver_Surfer:
Walker movements who you probly know about get a few in although they tend to be “seasoned” to put it politely.

If you’re doing alright, I’d seriously think about buying new for that type of thing. How much have you spent maintaining 06?..

Things are going well although I bought a brand new trailer in October last year so dont really want to push my luck and buy a new unit aswell

To be fair to the 06 plate its been a bloody good wagon for a first time buy. Ive only been in business since November 2011 and apart from the 6 weekly inspections and tyres I havent spent a great deal on it. Its had an alternator, a clutch which, all in all, cost about £750, a EBS valve on fron axle which was £1500 all in and then a wiring harness which set me back about £1800 as I had to be revovered in.

Out of interest do you know much about leasing a truck? That way I would get the spec I wanted and also be able to get it with r&m which would give me a fixed weekly/monthly cost?

Cheers
Matt

We have just moved from owned trucks to leased. looks worse on paper but better on the pocket. full r&m road tax the lot. all we do is insure them and a Jockey behind the wheel. tyre’s are on fair wear and tear basis. we are responsible for blow outs only.

Wing and a prayer:
We have just moved from owned trucks to leased. looks worse on paper but better on the pocket. full r&m road tax the lot. all we do is insure them and a Jockey behind the wheel. tyre’s are on fair wear and tear basis. we are responsible for blow outs only.

What spec of wagon are you talking about here please? Also what kind of figures would I be looking at to lease a truck, never looked into it in any depth just going on rough guide. If you dont wish to post figures on the forum please PM me.

Cheers

I have leased new in the past, you need to be very careful with the wagon or you’ll be stung on hand back. Mine was hammered by numerous lads on a double shift basis & it was a stralis so I got reamed out at hand over time.

Just ask for a quote for both buying new with r&m or without & leasing new, then compare. I would never lease again as I don’t like to be tied in and if it goes pear shaped mid contract you can’t just sell it! There are get out clauses but I would prefer to just buy new with no r&m if I had decent work and just take my chances or you buy a 15-20k er & maintain him. 10 years in.

I bought an ex hoyer Scania highline on a 06, with light weight midlift round about 2 years ago, its been a good truck, there are a few 57 plates knocking about on Autotrader, but they might be a bit to old for you Matt.

I can carry between 29.70, and 29.80, pulling a 2009 Fruehauf 65 cube on drums

jimmy2loads:
I bought an ex hoyer Scania highline on a 06, with light weight midlift round about 2 years ago, its been a good truck, there are a few 57 plates knocking about on Autotrader, but they might be a bit to old for you Matt.

Presumably that came with pumping/discharge equipment on? How big a job is it to strip it all down to the bare bones and then put tipping gear on it?

Matt

Would you consider a Stralis :question:

We have half a dozen Stralis500s with the lightweight midlift axle and they are good going wagons and I find them a nice enough wagon to drive and good roomy cab.
Cheap to buy/run but not great resale is the only thing. :cry:

Your bound to get a wild SHARP lease/R+M deal for one :exclamation: :exclamation:

Hmmm im not real keen on a stralis but if you wanted to PM me some details I could be swayed :wink: where are you based?

xfmatt:

jimmy2loads:

Presumably that came with pumping/discharge equipment on? How big a job is it to strip it all down to the bare bones and then put tipping gear on it?

Matt

To be fair it was pretty easy Matt, as you said pull everything off except the pto, which is compatible with tipping gear, and as it is a factory fitted pto, it is nicely plumbed in, (factory switch on the panel, light on dash, etc).

I used a Pryden engineering hydraulic tank, and the pipework off my old 4 series

xfmatt:
Hmmm im not real keen on a stralis but if you wanted to PM me some details I could be swayed :wink: where are you based?

Sorry,
the Stralis are in the fleet,
I work for a chilled haulage Contractor :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

Try here:
ni-trucks.co.uk/

They did have a number of new model 6x2 Stralis500 Active Space (the model previous to the new Hi-Way) in stock sitting unsold since 2011 and I bet they would be WILD keen to shift these on if they are still there,
its suggests on their website that they are :exclamation: :exclamation:

Tbh Matt, I’d keep '06 & see if you can get a couple of years paid off the new trailer & then re visit. Like you say, having new both is extravagant & just begging to go pear shaped! :slight_smile: