lights........

I fitted a tow bar to my jalopy about 30 years ago ,was told if I do it again the car would have to go to a garage to have the new installation paired to the existing electrics.

m1cks:

Trukkertone:

truckyboy:
The chances of VOSA being about on nights are …zero…

Errrr, NO. word hasn’t filtered through to Carlisle or Stafford yet… they must be vampire related, they are often there looking for blood.

Yep M25 J9 often there overnight.
One of our cars is a Renault megane which needs the bumper removing to change a bulb

got a megane and it takes 5mins to sword o/s headlight. and 10 to do n/s bulb
guy up road once asked me to show him how to change his bulb on his megane, i gave him my haynes manual! :laughing:

fleettraineruk:

alamcculloch:
Its not just a simple fix changing car light bulbs nowadays.In the past I often helped out neighbours but with all of the “improvements” cant do it on a modern car.

How right you are…!

I had a bulb blow on my car a few months ago, I went to Asda and bought a spare bulb kit, popped the bonnet and had no way on earth of having a fat chance in hell of changing it. HAD to take it to the dealers who booked it in in a weeks time and charged me £28. At least the works guaranteed :smiley:

My BMW has a nifty access panel behind the bumper - in front of road wheels - which you undo with a 50p piece (or 1 Euro piece!!!) and gives access to rear of headlamp units. Great system - 2 mins to change headlamp dip or main beam bulb. Why can’t they all be this sensible■■?

Blown headlamp bulbs do my head in - I give 'em all a flash (main beam - not body!!) if safe to do so.

Why wouldn’t you notice a blown headlamp bulb? Most decent cars put warning lamp on dash too - no excuse. They aren’t gonna fix themselves■■?

My pet hate! Can’t understand why most car drivers either can’t be arsed to give their car the once over every so often, or can’t be arsed to fix it. Remember the politician who found his wheel nuts loose - he maintained that it must have been somebody sabotaging them rather than him not maintaining his bloody vehicle!

scaniason:
My pet hate! Can’t understand why most car drivers either can’t be arsed to give their car the once over every so often, or can’t be arsed to fix it. Remember the politician who found his wheel nuts loose - he maintained that it must have been somebody sabotaging them rather than him not maintaining his bloody vehicle!

Hmph, why give them the once-over - the mot man does it every year!
(I’m as angry as anyone about the one-headlight [zb]. We have a game - when we see one approaching, we have a bet that it’s a Peugeot …try it!)

scaniason:
Can’t understand why most car drivers either can’t be arsed to give their car the once over every so often, or can’t be arsed to fix it!

I can, they are stupid-simples:mrgreen:

Some modern cars need the bumper taking off to change a bulb, ffs.

I did a bit of work for a AAA (UK AA/RAC equivalent) - if you think changing bulbs is bad try changing a battery on some modern cars! Wheels/body panels/etc. need to be removed for some.

W.

emmerson2:
Being a pleasant, helpful sort of a fella, when I noticed that the car in front had no brake lights,when we stopped at traffic lights, I went and told him. He replied " Why don’t you mind your own [zb] business? Its not due for MOT for two months"
I’m afraid that you can’t educate pork.

You should have just gone steaming into the back of him at the next set of lights. :laughing:

Trukkertone:

truckyboy:
The chances of VOSA being about on nights are …zero…

Errrr, NO. word hasn’t filtered through to Carlisle or Stafford yet… they must be vampire related, they are often there looking for blood.

I see 2 Batten-berg’s on the bridge before sandbach services on the M6, normally from 2200 - 0400 on a sunday night / monday morning

Don’t go down there too often but I reckon they are there 70% of the times I go past.

cargocargocargo:

scaniason:

Hmph, why give them the once-over - the mot man does it every year!
(I’m as angry as anyone about the one-headlight [zb]. We have a game - when we see one approaching, we have a bet that it’s a Peugeot …try it!)

Moral of this story is…never buy a French car!!!

Daz1970:
My BMW has a nifty access panel behind the bumper - in front of road wheels - which you undo with a 50p piece (or 1 Euro piece!!!) and gives access to rear of headlamp units. Great system - 2 mins to change headlamp dip or main beam bulb. Why can’t they all be this sensible■■?

I have a 5 series and changing the headlights is pretty easy, however to change the side light bulbs you have to take the lights out or pay £35. As for the runflats as soon as I needed new tyres they were ditched, worst tyres I have had on any car.

a driver once told me that you need to tilt the cab on an XF DAF to change the headlight bulbs…
NO YOU DON’T…
I showed him that it could be done in two minutes without tilting…

Trukkertone:
a driver once told me that you need to tilt the cab on an XF DAF to change the headlight bulbs…
NO YOU DON’T…

I hear that one a lot too, since all our wagons are DAF XFs. I’ve never tilted the cab to change a bulb either.

Another very common one too, is when the “driver” of the lovely new/new secondhand car polishes the dash or fiddles with the switches, alters the headlamp level adjuster unknowingly to the highest setting and there it stays until next MOT. Despite the fact that even on dip beam they can see that they’re illuminating roadsigns from half a mile away they just keep trundling on… beep,beep…

A lot of cars now have HID headlight that have a fire up voltage of 20000 volts then settle down to a standard 80 volts draw.

Can you imagine the amount of fried lady drivers at the side of the of the M1 if they tried to change a headlight bulb.

Manufacturers should be prosecuted if a headlight bulb cant be changed by a three year old with a sore finger.Bloody ridiculous that it costs over a hundred quid to change a side light bulb on an a series merc.

Bking:
A lot of cars now have HID headlight that have a fire up voltage of 20000 volts then settle down to a standard 80 volts draw.

Can you imagine the amount of fried lady drivers at the side of the of the M1 if they tried to change a headlight bulb.

Manufacturers should be prosecuted if a headlight bulb cant be changed by a three year old with a sore finger.Bloody ridiculous that it costs over a hundred quid to change a side light bulb on an a series merc.

What?
The Customer side of the circuit is a standard 13.8v - what the hell is “standard 80v draw” ?
The lamp side of the Ballast produces about 15kv to draw the arc across the electrodes but then produces approx 100v to maintain the light output.
If a vehicle is equipped with HID headlamps then it is mandatory to have auto headlamp levelling and headlamp washing system.
The HID units last approx 4 times longer than halogen bulbs. Even if a failure did occur then no one is going to try and change a HID at the side of the road, people don’t even attempt to change Halogen bulbs.

Trukkertone:
NO YOU DON’T…

I drive a new XF, and apparently if a headlight goes she needs to go back to Daf to have it changed. There are two bulbs in each headlight so the chances of two blowing at the same time are pretty slim hopefully.

When it happens all 4 have to be replaced too.

Daz1970:
Moral of this story is…never buy a French car!!!

+1:lol: