Lighting at RDC’s

Why is it if you need to reverse onto a bay at night at an RDC the lights are absolutely no use what so ever to the driver but are good for anyone walking on the outside of the fence?

I was at the co-op RDC at chelston on Friday evening doing a trunk from Fareham and had to reverse on a bay and the lighting was terrible, as soon as i looked in the mirror the lights were somehow shining on the mirrors so I couldn’t see much and it took me about 30 shunts and then I had to give up and let one of the shunters put it on there for me (cheers for that mate). My driving had something to do with it as well, it was just one of those days/nights, you know……where you can’t reverse to save your life. Or is it just me that has days like that?

Why can’t these companies that always bang on about health and safety put some illumination actually beaming on to the bays so you can see the buffers and lines on the floor especially seeing as reversing lights arent the brightest?

It would make it so much easier and probably save quite a bit of money because by the state of the buffers and the yellow guide bars on the floor I wasn’t the first to struggle to get on a bay and nearly trash something! plus if anyone did walk behind you i dont think you would see them to be honest it was that dark…

A couple of our bays are like that, and the parking area opposite is a real pain in the backside when it’s dark. And then the lights all go out for half an hour every now and again. On a lighter note I was wondering why it was such a struggle to back onto a bay in the yard with no light when I can do it out on the road. Upon mentioning this to another driver he pointed out that I wouldn’t have my tailift in the dropped position blocking the reversing lights at a pub :blush:

dont expect any improvements soon. the tesco RDC at livingston is still fairly new and the lights point directly at you. its even better in the rain. the place floods and you can see the yellow lines at all. brilliant :laughing:

then again, it was a rush job. i dont think i have been there without seeing some repair work being done. pumps are forever breaking down, repairs in the yard, to bays, even the transport office and stairwell had to be refloored not long after it opened. tesco value RDC :unamused: :laughing:

Same with the concrete at goole, yard looks like a patchwork quilt, only been open a short while.

Never mind with £3.1 bn profit, Tescos will soon be looking after drivers…

We need a flying pig smilie…