Lift axles

After driving rigids for years I’ve been started doing artic work this past couple of months. I’m struggling with the reversing into tight 90 degree bays when loaded and I think it is because the midlift axle is down. When I’m empty and the lift axle is up it’s not so bad. Is there a way to raise the lift axle when loaded to do my reverse?? The one I was driving the other day was an 07 plate Actros and I was hitting some buttons on the dash but they weren’t raising it when loaded.

Any advice anyone can offer would be a big help.

Cheers,
Dan

Someone might know better, but from memory, you have to hit the air dump switch and the axle lift switch at the same time.

On the new type you can press the lift axle button downwards and it doesn’t matter how much weight you have on board the lift axle will raise and stay raised up to about 18 mph.

All you need to know should be on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132594

OMG are you the real Pork Chop from ice road truckers as in ‘Nothing stops the chop’ except inclement weather and hooking up a trailer, from what the tv show would have us believe.

In my 62 actros thre was an extra button that looked similar to the lift axle button but took the weight off the midlift, makes life easier for reverses but just allow a little more time for the unit to come round (as its fighting the midlift a bit) and you will be fine.

Dipper_Dave:
OMG are you the real Pork Chop from ice road truckers as in ‘Nothing stops the chop’ except inclement weather and hooking up a trailer, from what the tv show would have us believe.

In my 62 actros thre was an extra button that looked similar to the lift axle button but took the weight off the midlift, makes life easier for reverses but just allow a little more time for the unit to come round (as its fighting the midlift a bit) and you will be fine.

Hahhhaha as I told someone a few weeks back Dipper I had that username on Trucknet before that clown came on the telly even! I’ve tried changing my username but can’t seem to do it!!! Not without setting up a new profile anyway… Thought about sueing the Pork Chop but from what I’ve seen of him he prob ent got much $$$…

Cheers mate for the tips, I’m pretty sure that’s the button I did hit when empty and she came up, but when loaded would not raise.

If you PM a mod or admin, they can change your user name

If you ever find yourself in a Renaul T cab ive tried to take a picture of the button (its bottom right).
One press when heavy and it gives a message on the dash saying ‘Optimal Traction’ and im like, yeah right im hoping for that all the time. Press it again and it says ‘Starting Help’ and lifts the midlift. Which is what I was hoping for in the first place.

Midlift button.jpg

Dipper_Dave:
If you ever find yourself in a Renaul T cab ive tried to take a picture of the button (its bottom right).
One press when heavy and it gives a message on the dash saying ‘Optimal Traction’ and im like, yeah right im hoping for that all the time. Press it again and it says ‘Starting Help’ and lifts the midlift. Which is what I was hoping for in the first place.

Cheers Dipper but WTF is going on there to the left of picture?!? Is that a granny in a Stars and Stripes bikini?

You’re pushing your luck with those pictures on here Dipper, you’ve got more chance of the late Mary Whitehouse allowing that than TNUK’s easily offended bosses :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

pork_chop:

Dipper_Dave:

Cheers Dipper but WTF is going on there to the left of picture?!? Is that a granny in a Stars and Stripes bikini?

No worries, oh and its me mum.

bazza123:
You’re pushing your luck with those pictures on here Dipper, you’ve got more chance of the late Mary Whitehouse allowing that than TNUK’s easily offended bosses :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I was hoping they would be OK for educational purposes as these axle lift buttons remind me of ■■■■■, well to be fair everything reminds me of ■■■■■. Also not sure how to crop stuff yet.

Apologies in advance to the moderators, especially diesel dave. Surely in this season of goodwill to all men a bit of titilation is acceptable as a one off.

Dipper_Dave:

pork_chop:

Dipper_Dave:

No worries, oh and its me mum.

yes it is i thought i recognised her :unamused:

Your mum is Hilary Clinton?

Those are quite tame to what we had on the " truckers wives " thread before

■■■■ i did enjoy that until Ricky took offence at a bit of bush :laughing:

Radar19:

Yep me Dads Bill.
To be fair he has been in the doghouse since the whole Monica Lewinsky fiasco.

Apparently he had only asked Monica to sack his cook and hold his calls.

Juddian:

Thanks mate that did help somewhat.

Dipper_Dave:

Radar19:

Yep me Dads Bill.
To be fair he has been in the doghouse since the whole Monica Lewinsky fiasco.

Apparently he had only asked Monica to sack his cook and hold his calls.

lol class mate…

Just spoke to a buddy and he mentioned the same thing as you, that button which is usually near the lift button but adds weight to the drive axle. He was talking about the MANs and that it adds 200lbs of weight or something to the drive which then as a result takes weight off the midlift. Will be giving it a try ta.

All good advice, but it also helps if the fifth wheel is in the correct position to distribute the legal weight on all three axles, or 2 if the mid lift is up, on the same truck, with it to far forward you could lift the axle but you would overload the front axle, to far back you could overload the drive axle, nearly all 3 axle midlift units have a limit on the weight you can impose on the drive axle before it will drop the lift automaticly, or wether you can lift it when you want to.
It also helps if you read the instruction manual for the truck you are driving if available, to tell you how everything works.
Lift axles are just another part of trucking that the driver has been taken out of the equation to totally control.

Juddian:

Re-reading again Juddian your two hefty contributions in particular from that other thread and actually they are real helpful. Much appreciated mate.