Lift axle with small wheel?

Can anyone tell me why certain trucks have the small tyre on the lift axle, what are thye benefits? Lower tax, more weight?

flickr.com/photos/mslrman/4497793065/

More payload. That is all.

Rob K:

How much more payload, surely it can’t be 44t?

Fileep:

Rob K:

How much more payload, surely it can’t be 44t?

Yes but not all on one wheel :stuck_out_tongue:

think of design weights and plated weights.

For Example.
7500 Steer
10000 Axle
8000 24 tonne Bogie is enough for 40 tonne

The small wheel axle only needs to be able to carry 2500kg to take it up to 44 tonne

There is a lot of advantage in a lift axle with the small wheels (shopping trolley wheels)
There is the weight saving of approx 600kgs against a full size axle.
Leaves more space for fueltanks, compressors, generators, pumps etc.
Can use a short wheelbase tractor unit and still have enough space to put at least a 400ltr tank on.
The most small axles have a capacity of 4.500kgs so it’s more than enough to make the 44 ton.
Less dead weight when running continent with 40 tons, so of course payload is very important.
We run them on all our vehicles in the UK (and some on the continent) and never had major problems with them.
Optical an ugly fit, but beauty don’t pay the bill, if you are not Claudia Shiffer or work in a different kind of service business :grimacing: :grimacing:

I always thought they put the small wheels on because they had run out of the big wheels ! :laughing:

caledoniandream:
There is a lot of advantage in a lift axle with the small wheels (shopping trolley wheels)
Can use a short wheelbase tractor unit and still have enough space to put at least a 400ltr tank on.
The most small axles have a capacity of 4.500kgs so it’s more than enough to make the 44 ton.
Less dead weight when running continent with 40 tons, so of course payload is very important.
We run them on all our vehicles in the UK (and some on the continent) and never had major problems with them.
Optical an ugly fit, but beauty don’t pay the bill, if you are not Claudia Shiffer or work in a different kind of service business :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yep, all of that and cheaper tyres too…ching!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you seen the new HSF Actros, they’ve solved the ugly bit, it’s behind the side skirt so it looks like a plain 4 wheeler

A

switchlogic:
Have you seen the new HSF Actros, they’ve solved the ugly bit, it’s behind the side skirt so it looks like a plain 4 wheeler

Armorac from Plymouth got some units with a little tag axle wheel behind a skirt and you can’t really see it unless you are up close.

papermonkey:

Not as much difference in price as you may imagine and a rarity value added to the price.

You cannot quote exact tyre prices as everyone pays a different price, but a quick Michelin search found 17.5 at £375 and I am fairly sure I could buy a 22.5 for £400

The way to go forward!

Mercedes Benz 6x2 factory option operated by BP McKeefry.

HSF 6x2

Van Bentum 6x2

Ahh yes, the Jeremey Beadle as I calls them.

Still looks silly but not a bad attempt.

Look loads better behind a side skirt. Becoming really popular on all types of road transport aswell.

They must be practical, Turners have bought a few.

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2011/04/how-serious-weight-watachers-a.html

Grasshopper:
Look loads better behind a side skirt. Becoming really popular on all types of road transport aswell.

They must be practical, Turners have bought a few.

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2011/04/how-serious-weight-watachers-a.html

as always the level playing field has some lumps in it. We need the mini mid lift in Britain because we have a lower drive axle limit. In France they could easily jump to 44 tonne as they already allow 13t drive axles

If they are cheaper and lighter and allow bigger tanks or higher payloads surely the question should be why do most 44t trucks have standard tag axles?

Mr B:
If they are cheaper and lighter and allow bigger tanks or higher payloads surely the question should be why do most 44t trucks have standard tag axles?

If it is pulling a fridge or curtainsider, as long as it can carry 33 or 26 pallets, that is the criteria filled. With a tanker, silo or tipper payload is more important when you are paid by the kilogram

Do you mean tag axle?

caledoniandream:

Plus
Having spent a bit of time back on a standard twin steer.
(1) Better lock
(2) less weigh on mid lift gives more weight on steering and drive axle (better when it gets a bit slippy)

There is approx 700kg difference between a DAF CF mini lift compared to a twin steer.

alot of dutch and belgian firms that do uk regular have them because of our axle weight restriction a 4x2 dutch outfit will be legal over there but as soon as he,s off the ferry over here its over weight so much for harmonisation on weights :unamused: i quite like the little wheel 6x2s sb components do sideskirts that just cover the wheel

Wheel Nut:

papermonkey:

Not as much difference in price as you may imagine and a rarity value added to the price.

You cannot quote exact tyre prices as everyone pays a different price, but a quick Michelin search found 17.5 at £375 and I am fairly sure I could buy a 22.5 for £400

I buy 17.5 contis for about£180 and have just ordered 4 firestone( bridgestone) 295r22.5 for £289.

I buy ftp daf’s to pull curtainsiders for at least a 29.5 tonne payload, paid by the tonne so i want max on the back.