License with dvla

Can anyone tell me whats the law regarding driving in europe,while dvla have my license,its being renewed following my medical at 45,i have a letter from dvla incase i get stopped in the uk,but dvla,vosa cant tell me if im ok to drive abroad,incase of any confusion i am on about my hgv license.

garybow41:
Can anyone tell me whats the law regarding driving in europe,while dvla have my license,its being renewed following my medical at 45,i have a letter from dvla incase i get stopped in the uk,but dvla,vosa cant tell me if im ok to drive abroad,incase of any confusion i am on about my hgv license.

I cannot remember the last time I had to show my licence in Europe, the digital card has more or less the same info on it anyway. Normal the grunted request is for CMR, Disc, Previous etc.

I didn’t drive abroad when I last renewed my licence for medical reasons as it was back before I resumed work but I have on a few occasions driven over the water when not in possession of my licence due to either an address change or it was away having points put on it. I carried a photocopy of the licence and copies of relevant paperwork such as the change of address form or the paperwork detailing the points and it wasn’t a problem in any control I encountered during that time. I had controls in France, Belgium and Germany so can only speak for those countries, sods law says you can go weeks without a control and as soon as you don’t have your licence you get pulled.

I don’t know how the medical renewal would be viewed as a photocopy of your old licence might show it had expired, in my case the photocopies showed the licence was still valid, so that might be an issue.

garybow41:

2000 euro fine

my license hasnt expired and dosent till the middle of december,i thought i would get it done early,i have photocopys of it.

i

sorry to hear that malcolm,hope you find something soon,not to good out there at the moment doesnt seem to be alot about,i went out TDW at Bridgend a few weeks ago,moneys not great but ive heard its not a bad job,also heard Gerry jones might have had a job going,that was a few weeks ago but might be worth a try.

Sorry to read that Malcolm.

Tell your gaffer Gary, that way your covered if they have a random licence check.
A DVLA cover note would be ok for the UK, because it can be verified on the computer system, but usually in Europe you have to be able to produce the actual document on request.
As Coffee said, it’s very rare that you get stopped and they actually ask for it. Sods Law says that the one trip when you don’t have it is going to be the trip when your asked to produce it. A €2 grand fine is pretty steep.