License renewal,medical

Maybe a stoopid question but, I,m due to have my medical in April, however I may be hanging my keys up as I hopefully have a job coming up that is completely different and away from transport, if I don’t have the medical can I do this at a later date if I decide I want,need to go back driving, or is that my lot and have to start over…

I would take the medical and keep the license going in case you need it to fall back on again.
If you take a medical, its valid for two months before you need to send it to Dvla.
But this applies before the expiry date on the truck license.

dle1uk:
Maybe a stoopid question but, I,m due to have my medical in April, however I may be hanging my keys up as I hopefully have a job coming up that is completely different and away from transport, if I don’t have the medical can I do this at a later date if I decide I want,need to go back driving, or is that my lot and have to start over…

You can let the medical lapse for 20+ years if you want to then simply pass it to get the categories back

It’s probably worth the cost of the medical to keep the LGV entitlement valid for the next five years but as stated, you don’t lose the qualification if you let the licence lapse, just the entitlement which you can restore any time in the future just by taking the medical.

Be advised though that it is not unknown for DVLA to “lose” categories when they lapse so take a photocopy of your licence while it still shows LGV entitlement and keep it in a safe place.

Harry Monk:
It’s probably worth the cost of the medical to keep the LGV entitlement valid for the next five years but as stated, you don’t lose the qualification if you let the licence lapse, just the entitlement which you can restore any time in the future just by taking the medical.

Be advised though that it is not unknown for DVLA to “lose” categories when they lapse so take a photocopy of your licence while it still shows LGV entitlement and keep it in a safe place.

Better to state that current licence is ahem … LOST… and get a new replacement

Isn’t changing your…

Picture an option?

It might get you another five years.