License help

Hi all,
Just need a bit of advice, I passed my class 2 about 2 weeks ago but haven’t sent my licence off as I needed it for my module 2 cpc yesterday, I can’t send it off yet as I have my module 4 next Wednesday and I have my class 1 lessons starting on the 7th of January. If I send it off next week would or could it be back for my class 1 lessons in January? If not is there any paperwork or letters I could take with for my class 1 test so the examiner can see I have the provisional entitlement?

Thanks for the help.

As you say, this is a problem. My understanding is that right now you don’t actually have the C+E provisional entitlement as you haven’t been given it, and you get given it at the point Swansea process your cat C pass certificate. As you say you will need your license to show trainer and examiner for C+E test.

I’m wondering if the most sensible option is cancelling / delaying mod 4 and getting license off immediately and hoping it comes back in time for C+E training. You could then do mod 4 after C+E test and then send off license to get C+E added. I would speak to whoever you are doing the mod 4 with and see what the score is.

ROG or Pete will be able to tell you if there is any way of avoiding that idea.

Perhaps contacting the DVLA to find out what their opening times are over the next few weeks could help? If they’re operating close to Christmas and quickly after the new year, then sending it off next Wednesday (17th) it could be back in time.

I’ve seen an instructor on here mention they’ll take people out on the CE provisionally if they can see the online entitlement added. That would be added a few days before your licence get’s back to you, so ring your training school and ask them if that is something they would be happy doing?

Failing the above, I’d go with what th2013 says - cancel the mod 4, take your CE, then do your mod 4.

I suggest you postpone your Mod 4, send you licence immediately by Special Delivery - seems to help sometimes. Then fingers crossed it’s back in time for your CE training.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

How come your training school has not advised you on this when you told them what you intended to do?

Thanks for the replays guys, what I have been told is that I can pass my class 2, pass my module 2 and 4 then send my licence off to get updated for the class 1 entitlement, I have but back my class 1 training a couple of weeks.

Do you mean you put back your training a couple of weeks, but my training is in a couple of weeks"

If the 2nd one - I would certainly phone your trainer. Ask if they accept the online check. Also ask how much they will charge you if you have no piece of paper and no online check showing - it could be anything up to the full fee depending on the T&Cs. Also ask if they could possibly swap the diary around a bit and move you to a course a couple of weeks later. I believe they can cancel the driving test at no cost if done at least the week before. Finally ask what they would charge if you cancelled now and rebooked later (if they are not cooperating)

If the trainer is reasonable they will help you with this mess that (honestly) they had a hand in creating.

thanks for all the reply’s and help guys. my licence has now been sent off and my class 1 training been put back a week.

I wonder, because you won’t need your counterpart next year, he could have sent off the pass certificate, kept the original licence card saying that he has lost it, get the provisional put on by the DVLA due to sending off the certificate and keep his card for the test in january, only problem i can for see is that his current driving licence won’t have category C on it, but the provisional would show online with DVLA. Sounds like a bit of a gamble though. Also your driving school can’t name your test until the DVLA have processed your licence so they are at risk too, its normally sensible not to book your CE until you have your licence back, saves problems for sides.

i spoke to the examiner when i took my module 4 and he said that it must show on my card so i sent my license off and reached the DVLA on Friday morning, apparently as soon as i pass which ever test they book the next 1 which i also think is a risk but they have no issue with changing it.