Licence

Hi guys, welll i passed my test last week and sent my licence off. Any idea how long it takes to come back? Also most of the agencies ive rang around dont want to know untill i get my licence back so im stuck in no mans land at the moment. I signed on with a couple of agencies before i passed my test ,blue arrow seem ok ve shown my pass certificate but never have any work!The others arent interested. I thought the pass certificate would have been good enough but odviously not. Did any of the other new drivers on here have the same problem?
Im in the luton area by the way.
Thanks in advance

Took mine about 10 days to come back, so shouldn’t have to wait too long.

I thought you could drive on a pass certificate?

Anybody got a definitive answer?

Legally, yes, you can. If you get given a producer by the filth then this is perfectly acceptable to them.

However, these are somewhat easier to fake (AIUI - ICBW) or nick - as such a lot of places won’t touch them. :confused:

Gary

No, I must have got lucky, I passerd my test and was out the following day. As ShadyRon says, it’s perfectly legal to drive on a pass certificate :wink:.

Hi,

This may not be the best way to start posting on this forum so I apologise if I sound argumentative but I have a photocopy of my test pass certificates (dated june 2002) and they state that " Your test pass certificate is not a licence to drive". TBH I don’t know the exact legal position but I would not want to see anyone fall foul of the law. Sorry if I come across rude and I stand to be corrected.

mrpj:
Hi,

. Sorry if I come across rude and I stand to be corrected.

welcome to TruckNet Mrpj

you’ll have to try harder than that if you want to be rude though, most of us are thick skinned :wink:

I’ve just had a look on DVLA’s website and it reads

Once you have passed your driving test (theory and practical) you should exchange your test pass certificate for a new licence as soon as possible. If you do not claim your test pass within 2 years of the date of your test, the entitlement conveyed by the test pass will be lost and you will have to pass a further driving test (theory and practical) for that category of vehicle if you wish to have it included on your driving licence.

So it sounds to me like the entitlement is their weather you have the pink slip or not, you just need to add it to your licence :wink:.

Agreed, it is a grey area though and they need to sort their wording out :open_mouth::roll::lol:. Typical government department spiel :unamused:.

Welcome to TruckNetUK mrpj and no, you don’t sound any ruder than the rest of us :wink:.

Thanks for the welcome!

Have to agree that this is a grey area, although to be fair to the DVLA I received my licence quickly so if I had been stopped by the police I could have produced it within 7 days.

i sent my pass cert and licence to the DVLA on sat 5th March was in my back in my grubby little hands by last friday (11th) !! could’nt believe how quick it was returned. hats off to the DVLA (i’m sure thats the last time i’ll ever write that)

Agencies round here were fine taking me on with a pass certificate and also applying for full time jobs. mind you we are always a bit slacker up north, must be a southern thing!!!

Welcome to Trucknet UK mrpj :smiley: .

Liberace:
and no, you don’t sound any ruder than the rest of us :wink:.

…in fact, compared to some on here, you’re a gent! :laughing:

I totally agree with Lib; you CAN drive with your pass certificate however some companies (including where I work) want you to actually have the licence in your ‘grubby mit’ before they let you loose in their vehicle.

I assume the reason they want to see your license in the" flesh" as it were is to see if you might have some points transferred over from your car license the agency im with won’t touch anyone with 6 points or above insurance liability.and they check every 4months if they use you or not!.

I drove on my pass certificate after I pased my class one. Never crossed my mind it might not be legal :confused:

To clarify a couple of points.

The Licence to drive any class of vehicle, is the Provisional - although it carries with it conditions, i.e. ‘L’ plates, accompanied, etc.

The pass certificate serves to negate those conditions. (And yes, it is not a Licence.)

When both are sent off, the relevant categories are moved from the Provisional section to the Full section.

Insurance requirements stipulate that 'the driver holds, has held, and is not disqualified from holding, a Licence (for that class of vehicle). Or words similar.

If you look are your own vehicle insurance you will see the above form of words. Note that it does not stipulate a Full Licence.

I think the lack of interest may be down to an absence of work in your area. If they really wanted to cover their backs then there are ways of confirming the details, either by requesting confirmation from your trainer, or a friendly phone call to the test centre.

I know of one driver who passed his test on the Friday and immediately sent off for a full licence… Monday he was back at the training company asking for a copy of their copy of his Pass Certificate as his company were sending him onto the continent on the Tuesday.

Vocational Licences receive priority at the DVLA and can be returned in as little as four days.

Krankee:
I know of one driver who passed his test on the Friday and immediately sent off for a full licence… Monday he was back at the training company asking for a copy of their copy of his Pass Certificate as his company were sending him onto the continent on the Tuesday.

Ah - now that is one situation where (legally) the pass slip is not sufficient. The holder of a provisional licence (or a full licence having the effect of a provisional licence) is required to comply with certain conditions - i.e. L plates, supervisor etc. The test pass removes those conditions.

Driving sur le continong requires that you be the holder of a FULL licence - i.e. provisional and pass slip will not do.

I know that, but by the time he went, it had probably been issued, although not actually returned to him.

His problem.