Licence to drive in the EU

The Financial Times observes that, "…for Trade to continue after Brexit there must be deals… Without a deal, UK drivers of HGVs would not be licensed to drive inside the EU…Particular difficulties will arise with trade in food products, chemicals and pharmaceuticals.

If that’s the case then surely the opposite is true, EU drivers would not be licensed in the UK. If that happens I expect either very niche carriers of people who are licensed or more reliance on ferry trailers.

Seems to me there would need to be a reciprocal agreement, as there was (not that I actually remember) before we joined the Common Market. We recognise EU licences, and they recognise UK licences.
Summat else that makes a nonsense of “No deal is better than a bad deal”, doesn`t it? “No deal” is obviously a “bad deal”.

Given nobody stops Turkish drivers or Ukranians etc driving through the EU its more alarmist rubbish.

Franglais:
Seems to me there would need to be a reciprocal agreement, as there was (not that I actually remember) before we joined the Common Market. We recognise EU licences, and they recognise UK licences.
Summat else that makes a nonsense of “No deal is better than a bad deal”, doesn`t it? “No deal” is obviously a “bad deal”.

A bad deal is anything worse than wto rules, ergo no deal is obviously better than a bad deal. And I don’t see that reciprocal agreements will be anything to do with trade deals. The money men in the city are not going to be held to ransom by Eastern European truck drivers. And maybe it wouldn’t be a bad thing anyway. An increase in ferry trailer traction with a limited supply of drivers will be good for the industry. Better rates and better wages

Which translates as the total lie and inferrence that UK drivers,doing international work with a UK reg truck,can’t drive it in Europe on a UK licence,or even most other parts of the world for that matter. :unamused:

All as usual in a desperate attempt to keep the flood gates open to immigrant workers driving a UK reg truck.Just like the idea of the so called ‘driver shortage’.

Conor:
Given nobody stops Turkish drivers or Ukranians etc driving through the EU its more alarmist rubbish.

If it was true how did Brits drive across and in Europe on a Brit licence before we joined the EU ?.Which can only then mean yet another aggressive threat that if we leave their stinking Federal dictatorship they’ll no longer recognise UK driving licences when driving UK reg trucks there.Which seems to go against all the usual norms of international road transport.Also bearing in mind that there seems to be no such issues regarding even Iranian or Russian licenced drivers driving Iranian or Russian reg vehicles in Europe let alone Turkish. :unamused:

Franglais:

A bad deal would be one that appeases any move by the EU to hold us to ransom and which tries to go against all the accepted norms of international road transport and with it licencing recognition when driving a foreign reg vehicle outside of its country of registration.On that note there’s nothing to stop a UK reg truck being driven overland to Australia or across America for that matter on a UK licence.

‘Deal’ in this case meaning trade not the already set in stone international acceptance of driving licences.As for trade nothing could be worse than the one we’ve got as an EU member of being a net contributor and giving up sovereignty for the privilege of a trade deficit. :unamused:

Optimum:
The Financial Times observes that, "…for Trade to continue after Brexit there must be deals… Without a deal, UK drivers of HGVs would not be licensed to drive inside the EU…Particular difficulties will arise with trade in food products, chemicals and pharmaceuticals.

Totally false, your UK licence is and always has been valid to use in most countries in the world, I think there are only 2 countries that do not permit UK licences, they are Vietnam and North Korea.

Optimum:

As far as I’m aware, the UK has complied with the various driving licence Directives, hence we don’t have “HGVs” any more, so in the opinion of The Financial Times, how exactly would the “not be licenced” be any kind of problem?

Now for the “chemicals” bit (if they’re on about transport) … rolls sleeves up… :wink:

The transportation of (dangerous) chemicals by road is governed by ADR, which comes from the UNECE, not the EU.

The UNECE is far bigger than the EU and has a large number of non-EU countries as members, who are signed up to ADR. The other little fact is that the UK signed up to ADR some years before we signed up to the then EEC, and I don’t recall us Brexiting from the UNECE or ADR.

It is a condition of membership of the EU that a country has first signed up to ADR, so if a country leaves the EU, I can’t see a problem with the transportation of chemicals.

IMHO, it’s a not very well thought out scare story, unless the author presents something more than what’s been written in your quote.

That must mean my licence is invalid when i go to disney world florida in 3 weeks since im getting a hire car.Since america is not in the EU i will be breaking the law then.More ■■■■■■■■ from the papers and nobody knows what it going to happen there not even trying for a deal yet.

Colin_scottish:
That must mean my licence is invalid when i go to disney world florida in 3 weeks since im getting a hire car.Since america is not in the EU i will be breaking the law then.More [zb] from the papers and nobody knows what it going to happen there not even trying for a deal yet.

To be fair you couldn’t drive a US reg truck on a UK licence.It’s the EU interchangeability of LGV licences that the big business agenda is probably bothered about.Just like the EU free movement of labour.Stopping both of which can only be a good thing from the point of view of the indigenous work force.

As usual then trying to make their case,by lying about the totally different situation,regarding international journeys,involving foreign registered vehicles.

Carryfast:

Colin_scottish:
That must mean my licence is invalid when i go to disney world florida in 3 weeks since im getting a hire car.Since america is not in the EU i will be breaking the law then.More [zb] from the papers and nobody knows what it going to happen there not even trying for a deal yet.

To be fair you couldn’t drive a US reg truck on a UK licence.It’s the EU interchangeability of LGV licences that the big business agenda is probably bothered about.Just like the EU free movement of labour.Stopping both of which can only be a good thing from the point of view of the indigenous work force.

As usual then trying to make their case,by lying about the totally different situation,regarding international journeys,involving foreign registered vehicles.

I was not being serious and it did say CAR in my post and its just another load of bs from the media.

Conor:

KKKEERRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT

im actually agreeing with conor here.!!!
just a complete load of alarmist waffling pish. :slight_smile:

Colin_scottish:
its just another load of bs from the media.

It looks more like a deliberate attempt to mislead people. :bulb: By them playing off and threatening UK international operations,using a Brit licence to drive a Brit reg truck in the EU,against the totally different situation of immigrant drivers using EU issued licences to drive UK reg trucks.

dieseldog999:

Conor:

KKKEERRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT

im actually agreeing with conor here.!!!
just a complete load of alarmist waffling pish. :slight_smile:

I know, I had to take a seat and check for flying pugs.

I hope this won’t be a regular thing.

A.

Conor:

But can they drive a UK registered truck for a UK company?

Santa:

Conor:

But can they drive a UK registered truck for a UK company?

That’s the obvious agenda that they’re really bothered about not international transport and ‘trade’. :wink:

This isn’t the first article I’ve read in the FT, on how Brexit will affect road transport where the author has shown a total lack of knowledge on the subject.

Maybe they should stick to reporting the FTSE, and leave road tranport for others to report on.