Licence suspension

Not me, but a mate of mine got caught on his mobile whilst driving. £60 fine and three points. Does he also get a temporary licence suspension from the TC , i seem to recall he might do? If so, when can he expect it, he got caught yesterday?

i think it will be after he accepts the fixed penalty ie when he sends his license and £60 back .dont know much about the rest of it mike may be different if he was in car not truck .

My mate has just been done for the same thing,and he hasn’t been up in front of the TC.

The strange thing is,he was on the phone to me when he got caught,but I’m a Bluetooth man.

I think it all depends on the circumstances as to if you end up in front of the TC,but I’m not sure.

Ken.

It can be up to a two week suspension by the TC.
I seem to remember that this was quite a big discussion on this site a few months ago…
LICENSE SUSPENDED FOR USING MOBILE PHONE

Funny this should crop up now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was talking to a mate just the other night when I dropped my son off at Fowlers, he was saying he got caught using mobile and had to go in front of Commissioner at Leeds.

He got banned for 1 week :open_mouth:

Plus he had the fine to pay as well, he says 1hr 32 mins to get to Leeds and 4 mins to be told he was banned for a week

He could still drive his car but trucks were off the agenda until the ban was up

And as if by magic they shall appear. :wink:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ommisioner

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ell+phones

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ommisioner

If this happened in the Northwest Traffic Area and the lovely Mrs Bell gets involved, he will get banned.

If this happened in the Northwest Traffic Area and the lovely Mrs Bell gets involved, he will get banned.

I’m with Quinny.
19 euros or 60quid ?
No brainer.

Anyone heard the story about the truck that tailgated the wicked witch on the A66 she took his reg no and suspended the licence. Why do they have to employ solicitors to do the traffic commissioners job, why not someone who actually knows about transport.

willie_mac:

or even hung draw and quartered.
how does this woman get away with her draconian punishments?
dose she have a wing mirror on her shoulder when shes walking around the supermarket.

I had an “interesting” conversation today with someone not connected to transport and this “double punishment” issue came up… this person is not an expert by any means but he is well versed in EU law and he seems to think that being punished twice for the same offence could be in breach of the EU human rights act (once by the courts/ fixed penalty then by the TC).

Now I have done ZERO research into this but if anyone has the time to look up the articles and post them it could be interesting reading,

Rikki, whilst the argument has some ‘legs’, the same could be said for Police Regs, and if it were the case that there was a valid cause to pursue, then I’m sure the Federation would have commenced such, long ago.

Other professions also have bodies to which they are answerable in a ‘secondary’ capacity, and which can impose penalties. Doctors to the BMA. Nurses to…whatever. Legal professionals to the Law Society.

How long a list would you like?

Rikki-UK:
I had an “interesting” conversation today with someone not connected to transport and this “double punishment” issue came up… this person is not an expert by any means but he is well versed in EU law and he seems to think that being punished twice for the same offence could be in breach of the EU human rights act (once by the courts/ fixed penalty then by the TC).

Now I have done ZERO research into this but if anyone has the time to look up the articles and post them it could be interesting reading,

I know what your saying here but if you think about it your actually going to get a third penalty if the TC does her bit .

1. Fine
  2. Points
  3. Ban

And to make it even better your personal insurance will be affected for at least five years

i just got points and fine

Rikki-UK:

Double jeopady is illegal under uk and eu law.
“No person shall be convicted of the same offence twice”

No-one is being done twice.
senario - someone is thumped at work - police/law prosecutes - company sacks worker - one is external and the other is internal - is that being done twice and is that wrong :question:
The upgrade part of the licence is the internal bit.

There is a way that it could become a triple whammy - prosecuted externally by police/law - then internally by TC - then the company insurer says “not going to insure” = loss of job :open_mouth:

I can see how an insurance company could be classed as “internaly”. They are employed by the company to supply insurance, Therefore they should have a say in who they want employed by the company.
I can’t see how the TC can be put in the same class as they are public servants, Employed by the state like a judge.
If we are to be punished for a driving offence, Then it should be by a court or the TC, But not both.

limeyphil:
I can see how an insurance company could be classed as “internaly”. They are employed by the company to supply insurance, Therefore they should have a say in who they want employed by the company.
I can’t see how the TC can be put in the same class as they are public servants, Employed by the state like a judge.
If we are to be punished for a driving offence, Then it should be by a court or the TC, But not both.

The TC does not have powers to deal with the basic licence part - only the upgrade bit.
We could introduce differing penalties depending on the type of licence held but would you want that :question:

I just can’t see the point of being punished twice.
It’s getting like some third world dictatorship.